Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 22 June 2013, 07:48   #1

Town: Texas
Length: 3m +
Need help deciding which SIB, narrowed down to 2!

Greetings from Texas!

I have been scanning this site for information and have narrowed my choice for a new sib to 2 boats.

Price Range $1300 max
Length 10-11 ft
Use: Light offshore fishing 5-10 miles out
9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke
MAX load: 2 fisherman, light gear, 40-50 lb icechest

I have narrowed to the zodiac wave, one being aluminum bottom the other being wood. The 11' looks very aggressive and I like the looks better. Does the pointed nose help more ?

If you were going to buy one which one would you choose?
Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Zodiac Wave11 Wood Floor 11'0" Inflatable Boat

and

Zodiac Wave Aluminum Floor 10' 2" Gray / Blue PVC, 2013

thank you!
Old 22 June 2013, 09:05   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
For your intended purposes, neither are anywhere close to being suitable.

From the linked website:

"NOTE: The Wave by Zodiac was designed for the RV and fishing market. It does not have tow rings installed. It was not designed to be towed."

The "RV market" means that it is meant for highly crowded, small lakes (ponds) that would be typical of RV parks. The idea being that if you got in trouble there would probably some other craft (such as a pedal boat or a sit on top kayak) within 100 yards that could zip over and pick you up (just not tow you, since it has no tow rings!).

If Zodiac intended for these boats to be used 5-10 miles offshore on open ocean, they would have named the boat the Wave Goodbye. May as well save the money, and go straight to what would otherwise be the subsequent purchase, seal the seams and strap an outboard on a coffin.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post

From the linked website:

"NOTE: The Wave by Zodiac was designed for the RV and fishing market. It does not have tow rings installed. It was not designed to be towed."

The "RV market" means that it is meant for highly crowded, small lakes (ponds) that would be typical of RV parks. The idea being that if you got in trouble there would probably some other craft (such as a pedal boat or a sit on top kayak) within 100 yards that could zip over and pick you up (just not tow you, since it has no tow rings!).

If Zodiac intended for these boats to be used 5-10 miles offshore on open ocean, they would have named the boat the Wave Goodbye. May as well save the money, and go straight to what would otherwise be the subsequent purchase, seal the seams and strap an outboard on a coffin.

hmm I guess where you fish the ocean is different, here in the gulf of mexico there are quite a few 10' boats that run to near offshore oil wells only a few miles offshore. Seas are calm here for the most part.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post

From the linked website:

LOL reading your post again I had to laugh, "no tow rings" so a kayak couldn't pull me back ..
Old 22 June 2013, 09:24   #5
RIBnet Supporter

SIB seems a little small for the intended purpose, as does the 9.8hp.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:29   #6

maybe this video will help you understand what I'm talking about

YouTube
Old 22 June 2013, 09:46   #7

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have owned several versions of the Zodiac Wave Aluminium floor and used them as tenders and fun boats as a kid (The design really has not changed much since it was introduced in the early 80's as the Zed 31).

They are decent PVC boats, stable and will plane with 1 adult and a 6hp motor, with a 9.9 they do about 12kts.

But they are not suitable for going 10 miles offshore even in the 'smooth' Gulf of Mexico. Sea conditions change quickly and 10 miles back in rough seas is a very long way in a small SIb,

I rented an 18 ft Bayliner a couple of years ago out of Clearwater, had a fantastic morning but when the wind got up along with the waves in the afternoon it got serious and I was very glad to get back to the dock.

Your video looks fantastic, but the fact they got a way with it once does not mean the boat they were using was safe.

The boats you are looking at are great, but stick inshore or on the lakes if you want to come back in one piece.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:57   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack87 View Post

YouTube
Slight Edit following Post #14 ;-)
I understand very well. I have a 9.8hp Tohatsu on a 9' SIB. I've been out on days when it would have been possible to take it cross channel to Scotland - but I wouldn't risk it in a craft so dependent on millpond conditions.

I'll admit that going further offshore in these little boats is tempting, as they're so confidence inspiring. However, it's the speed/conditions thing that puts me off. They can only handle a very narrow range of sea conditions - flat calm to seastate 4 at most. In seastate 4 they have vastly reduced speed and agility. If conditions change, either due to weather or localised phenomena, then you're in trouble. A larger boat with more HP will generally see it through.

Do you know that a 9.8hp will shift your load on the plane?

I understand now thanks to that video, I'm sorry I hadn't seen it earlier in my armchair boating career. I think you should pick the aluminium floored boat and go as far offshore as you feel comfortable with
Old 22 June 2013, 10:11   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

YouTube
Yes, and they're an accident waiting to happen. Killcord not worn, away from the tiller with the engine running,not wearing lifejackets and miles offshore. One mistake and they're dead.

Seriously, get a bigger inflatable if you want to do that.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 11:23   #10

thank you for the help, I think I will go for the aluminum floor model!
Old 22 June 2013, 11:24   #11

A few miles off will be okay land is not far.. if anything happens I will just go full throttle to the beach.

@ Nos4r2, that is what the coast guard is for, if anything happens we just call them here and they pick us up.
Old 22 June 2013, 11:42   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
A few miles off will be okay land is not far.. if anything happens I will just go full throttle to the beach.

@ Nos4r2, that is what the coast guard is for, if anything happens we just call them here and they pick us up.
ooohh look - popcorn!
Old 22 June 2013, 11:49   #13

We were out in a decent sea state 3 or a gay 4 and I was shocked how much throttle we were using when it was rough tohatsu 18.....we were 600 yards out...you'll be a brave man at ten miles
Old 22 June 2013, 11:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woz72 View Post
We were out in a decent sea state 3 or a gay 4 and I was shocked how much throttle we were using when it was rough tohatsu 18.....we were 600 yards out...you'll be a brave man at ten miles
The seas must get rough in the UK they do get some rollers here but nothing that a smaller zodiac couldn't handle. I'm kidding about the coast guard thank you for the helpful information to those that actually have used a small inflatable before (the guys with less than 500 posts), now the guys with 1,000's of post I dont think I should trust you due to the fact that you probably spend more time posting on the forums from books you read than actually on the water!
Old 22 June 2013, 11:57   #15

Quote:

The seas must get rough in the UK they do get some rollers here but nothing that a smaller zodiac couldn't handle. I'm kidding about the coast guard thank you for the helpful information to those that actually have used a small inflatable before (the guys with less than 500 posts), now the guys with 1,000's of post I dont think I should trust you due to the fact that you probably spend more time posting on the forums from books you read than actually on the water!
Hold on I'll stick some ground coffee on sit back and watch you get ya pants pulled down!!!!
Old 22 June 2013, 12:13   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Not if you're upside down, broken down or chopped up by the propeller you won't.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 12:16   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not if you're upside down, broken down or chopped up by the propeller you won't.
No, he'll be fine. I've reconsidered my earlier advice
Old 22 June 2013, 12:17   #18

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
I said exactly the same as Nos4r2, but cos i'm a newbie and British I was trying to be polite

I will rephrase my post:

If you go 10 miles offshore in that boat you will get in trouble, the kind of trouble that can be very very final.

I seriously hope your comment about the Coastguard was a joke ? Putting peoples lives at risk because you don't have the right gear/equipment/experience for the job is stupid, selfish and in some circumstances criminal.

I have used the exact boat you are looking at, I got caught in the middle of Poole Harbour with wind over tide and heavy rain (Never further than 1 mile from land) and barely made it back. I was down to 1/2kts at times and was shipping more water over the bow than we could bail out. Its a good job we were fit teenagers at the time or I doubt we would have made it.

You need to change your cruising ideas or get a bigger boat.
Old 22 June 2013, 12:20   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I said exactly the same as Nos4r2, but cos i'm a newbie and British I was trying to be polite

I will rephrase my post:

If you go 10 miles offshore in that boat you will get in trouble, the kind of trouble that can be very very final.

I seriously hope your comment about the Coastguard was a joke ? Putting peoples lives at risk because you don't have the right gear/equipment/experience for the job is stupid, selfish and in some circumstances criminal.

I have used the exact boat you are looking at, I got caught in the middle of Poole Harbour with wind over tide and heavy rain (Never further than 1 mile from land) and barely made it back. I was down to 1/2kts at times and was shipping more water over the bow than we could bail out. Its a good job we were fit teenagers at the time or I doubt we would have made it.

You need to change your cruising ideas or get a bigger boat.
But other than those minor issues, would you recommend the aluminium or the wooden floor?
Old 22 June 2013, 12:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

But other than those minor issues, would you recommend the aluminium or the wooden floor?
Wood so it rots away when he gets rescued???