Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 February 2014, 05:55   #81
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,268
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
What's the smallest, in weight/dimensions, 2 stroke outboard?
Don't know if its necessarily the smallest, but a Tohatsu 3.5hp or Mariner 3.3hp are probably there or there abouts for power to weight ratio. An air cooled early model outboard may be lighter (ear muffs come as standard).

Specification here:
http://www.tohatsu.de/outboard-info/M3-5B2/43

Mariner | All Models
__________________

__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2014, 10:33   #82
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
An air cooled early model outboard may be lighter (ear muffs come as standard).

Specification here:
M3.5B2 » Outboard-Info » Tohatsu Outboards

Mariner | All Models

Cheers, as a get me home, the noise wouldn't bother me, I'd just stuff a bit of Mackerel in my ears.
__________________

__________________
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2014, 10:34   #83
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
What's the smallest, in weight/dimensions, 2 stroke outboard?
Probably a Chinese weedeater conversion jobber:

Amazon.com: Outboard Motor 3.5 HP 2 Stroke Inflatable Fishing Boat Engine Fast Shipping: Sports & Outdoors

Of course, it's hell on the environment, and your ears will ring for two days after every trip, but it only weighs 10 kilos.
__________________
Wild_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2014, 11:00   #84
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
Probably a Chinese weedeater conversion jobber:

Amazon.com: Outboard Motor 3.5 HP 2 Stroke Inflatable Fishing Boat Engine Fast Shipping: Sports & Outdoors

Of course, it's hell on the environment, and your ears will ring for two days after every trip, but it only weighs 10 kilos.


Q: Is this for salt water use?
A:
No fresh water only


That rules that one out.

Do you think one of these would get me home?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eteyo-Superi....5+HP+2+Stroke


It'll do 20km/h four up.
__________________
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2014, 12:21   #85
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 986
At just an ounce or so over 9kg my 2HP yamaha 2 stroker must be a contender for one of the lightest.. centainly a good 3kg - 4 kg lighter than my mariner 3.3Hp 2 stroke, Its not too noisy and very reliable. Its thin profile is great for transom mounting as an aux in small spaces

__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 08:12   #86
Member
 
azzurro's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
At just an ounce or so over 9kg my 2HP yamaha 2 stroker must be a contender for one of the lightest.. centainly a good 3kg - 4 kg lighter than my mariner 3.3Hp 2 stroke, Its not too noisy and very reliable. Its thin profile is great for transom mounting as an aux in small spaces

What a lovely spray hood! Will you please post more detailes pics! Is it flexible?
__________________
azzurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 02:38   #87
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Had another play with outrigger bracket today.
I have now decided on the final design!
Outrigger engine mounting plate to which engine clamps to be cut in half, I intentionally made it on the large side so I could play around with different set ups.
This will leave a very small engine mounting plate overhanging sib tube, but also serve to reduce the risk of the plate/engine catching on waves.
Surplus plate to be welded / bolted to the top of they outrigger 50mm box section - see pic!
This will serve as an extra transom, to mount engine to.
As this mount is close to the transom engine bearing stresses placed on transom greatly reduced whilst the Sib is on the move.
As can be seen from pic engine carried high clear of the water and on the inside of tube, well within harms way.
Engine to be attached to transom with lanyard at all times!
When needed engine to be unclamped from outrigger and clamped to the removable outrigger engine plate which overhangs left hand Sib tube.
Thanks for latest pics. I look forward to your report on the sea trial. Where you have it now is where I intend to store mine with a bit of 8 x 2 bolted and shaped to the transom. And then when needed( hopefully wont!) I will slide over main engine, remove one of the transom wheels with a single bolt and put auxiliary on transom like 'gurnard' has on his Quicksilver. But I think I can fit on without peeling back rubber splash thing, if I extend the transom a little with some ply cheeks and a triangular block. Lots to do and not enough time! Obviously this isn't as quick as what you are proposing but should work and not have any problems with rough seas, I hope.
__________________
The Bass Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 03:54   #88
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post

Thanks for latest pics. I look forward to your report on the sea trial. Where you have it now is where I intend to store mine with a bit of 8 x 2 bolted and shaped to the transom. And then when needed( hopefully wont!) I will slide over main engine, remove one of the transom wheels with a single bolt and put auxiliary on transom like 'gurnard' has on his Quicksilver. But I think I can fit on without peeling back rubber splash thing, if I extend the transom a little with some ply cheeks and a triangular block. Lots to do and not enough time! Obviously this isn't as quick as what you are proposing but should work and not have any problems with rough seas, I hope.
That sounds like a plan Bass Stalker.
When you get your project under way post some pics.
I will add the finishing touches to the outrigger this week paint it and mount it.
Probably won't get to try it for a good few weeks though.
Just started another SIB project.
Been making a bow locker for my Honwave.
Going to have a battery compartment anchor compartment and bric a brac compartment.
Hopefully this will offset the weight of two engined and myself sitting at the rear,
I will post some pics in the next few weeks.
__________________
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 07:26   #89
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
What's the smallest, in weight/dimensions, 2 stroke outboard?
Don't forget the Johnson 2Hp from 1960atcake. Either 7 or 9 Kg (I forget which) and super slim, with a single screw clamp so fits onto the smallest available transom space..... (the twin pot 4Hp version is a dizzy 13Kg fuelled!

...but as said earlier also has an open case, so very prone to brine ingress!
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 11:36   #90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 813
Sib outrigger almost complete. Mounted it today
Should get to try it out over the next few weeks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140310_153829.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	91961   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140310_153849.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	91962   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140310_153917.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	91963   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140310_153942.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	91964  
__________________

__________________
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.