Old 11 April 2014, 10:52   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post
For sure better than oars, and it looks like it will work which is great.

I actually meant the opposite. I wondered if the air intake would stay submerged so that it constantly pumped water to keep cool. Its already higher than the transom by quite a bit as far as I can tell? I know the engine case will never get near the water, just spray which is fine.
The little 2.5 hp Suzuki has a much stronger tell tale than my 20hp Tohatsu. The water intake is also lower on the Suzuki right at the prop. It didn't aeriate the prop when I was going through the lumpy chop few days ago and it seems deep enough in the water. Luckily I can shift my fairly substantial body weight around in the Sib to raise or lower the engine by leaning the sib slightly from side to side. Let us know how get on tomorrow.

Going fishing!
Old 14 April 2014, 12:44   #122

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Success!

All worked a treat. Couldn't take pics as busy and rough. I will add another thickness of ply to the storing bracket just to make sure strong enough. Used it to come home a mile or so and it made 2.8 knts against 3knt tide and 20 mph wind. So nothing fast but was very pleased.

It could probably do with a service as it didn't seem to rev that high but maybe that's just how it is?

Had a couple of 5lb thornys plus lots of smaller whiting, codling etc.
Old 14 April 2014, 14:03   #123

Pleased to hear it does the job.
They ain't pretty but if it gets you out of that well known creek when you don't have a paddle then it will all have been worth the hassle.
Look forward to seeing some pics / video of it in action.
Happy Sibbing/fishing
Old 23 June 2014, 11:15   #124

Just an update on the auxiliary engine outrigger that I made earlier this year. I have been out a lot recently in the Sib doing some fishing. I always take my 2.5hp Suzuki as a back up engine.
Not had to use it yet in an emergency situation thankfully.
I have nevertheless used it extensively for trolling lures. I tilt the tohatsu 20 hp primary engine out of the water and putt putt along with the 2.5hp.
When I'm not using the 2.5hp I remove the detachable mounting plate and stow in the bow box.
Does the job just fine and much more effective than a pair of oars.
Speaking of which I still take them to sea also.
Happy sibbing!
Old 23 June 2014, 14:20   #125

Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
I have an electric aux on my Zodiac Futura. Don't be put off.
In fact, I tested it out recently and it works just fine. I've got a Riptide 45/SC from Minn Kota that I got new for US$250. I also got a deep-cycle battery and battery box. I can fit the motor on the transom next to my Honda. I can install it while on the water in about two minutes and it moves my boat at the blistering speed of 3 mph, which is enough to get me home if it's calm, or at least point me into the waves if it's rough. It's light and reliable, and maintenance requirements are virtually zero. It's nice having a backup means of propulsion that is more effective than paddles (which I also have).
Old 09 October 2014, 23:09   #126

That's the sib into storage until next year........ I think??. The auxiliary outrigger has been a resounding success.
Couple of rust spots here and there that need sanding and painting over the winter months but otherwise unscathed from a year's hard sibbing.
The honwave transom puts a lot of ribs to shame!
Hence it is unscathed also.
Still yet to use it in a real emergency situation but every other excursion it gets deployed just to practice the drill.
I have used it a fair bit for trolling lures and it has worked a treat.
Well worth the extra weight for an extra piece of mind.
Wonder what this year's winter Sib project might be????
Old 09 October 2014, 23:39   #127

A few pics in action
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412897658977.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	99745   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412897745953.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	99746   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412897814082.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	99747   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412897886553.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	99748   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412897986116.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	99750  

Old 11 October 2014, 05:03   #128

Sweet. Mines all working well but would be a little better made from metal for the extra rigidity. Loving having the extra safety though.

Quick question, what do you put in holes where drilled in transom?

Also can transoms be painted, and with what?

Ps. I keep using mine all winter but I am in an estuary where you can land anywhere, no big cliffs or rocks.
Old 11 October 2014, 22:38   #129

The security aspect of having an auxiliary engine is a big confidence booster and helps me relax and enjoy the whole sib experience a bit more.

I use sikaflex in the transom holes it's bombproof!

I'm sure you can get marine paint for wooden transoms / marine ply etc.

The beauty of the honwave transom is it is laminated with a heavy durable glass resin - hence no need to paint.
Old 14 October 2014, 11:51   #130

Thanks. Transom is very good on quicksilvers but plastic coating has some crackles in it so thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a coat.
Old 27 October 2014, 22:59   #131

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1414450696.682164.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	100288Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1414450719.534989.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	100289Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1414450731.809857.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	100290Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1414450750.627846.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	100291Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1414450761.015180.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	100292

Here's mine!!!
Old 27 October 2014, 23:04   #132

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
That looks well mate. What does the auxiliary run on??

TIGER RUT
Old 28 October 2014, 00:20   #133

Neat little auxiliary you got there!
I'm liking that set up.
That's the beauty of two strokes much more compact than their four stroke counterparts.
Old 28 October 2014, 05:32   #134

Looks good. Same set up as gurnard. I assume the transom wheels don't really work with it on though? I suppose you can easily remove auxiliary into boat if you needed wheels. Its certainly nice having a backup. Reminds me I must give my auxiliary a run!

On a side note, if you look really closely at the transom, does it have any crackles in the plastic coating? Luckily mine are above the water line and I don't think they go right through to core but I'm thinking of running a coat of west's epoxy in and over the transom, almost like a flow coat. Had a boating mate look the other day and he said its not a problem but I'll probably do it sometime anyway.

Happy sibbing
Old 28 October 2014, 08:08   #135

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
A few pics in action
It is nice setup, what kind of floor mat do you have ?
This nice looking black mat with holes ?

In Greece I always have some small rocks (pebbles) on the floor.
I wonder if it be better to have similar mat or not if small rock happens between it and inflatable floor.
Old 28 October 2014, 14:29   #136

Hi I got the mat for my sib here in the UK from screw fix.
I has been a resounding success on my SIB this year with no signs of wear or tear. Here's a link to the thread I opened when I fitted the matting.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60924
Old 28 October 2014, 19:20   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post
Looks good. Same set up as gurnard. I assume the transom wheels don't really work with it on though? I suppose you can easily remove auxiliary into boat if you needed wheels. Its certainly nice having a backup. Reminds me I must give my auxiliary a run!

On a side note, if you look really closely at the transom, does it have any crackles in the plastic coating? Luckily mine are above the water line and I don't think they go right through to core but I'm thinking of running a coat of west's epoxy in and over the transom, almost like a flow coat. Had a boating mate look the other day and he said its not a problem but I'll probably do it sometime anyway.

Happy sibbing

Yep I shamelessly copied and even asked him how to remove the small triangle of pvc! The transom wheel is bolted using a wing nut so once the boat is afloat I would remove the wheel and mount the motor.
Problem is it's only 2hp. Keeping my eyes peeled for a 4hp but I do love old yams!!!
Old 11 November 2014, 07:09   #138

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Partly due to this thread, and also some past experiences, like hitting an unseen rock at the end of a lake with no one else around, plus I did have a time when my ignition failed at higher RPM's, I decided to start looking for a small lightweight 2 stroke motor (So it can burn fuel from the main fuel tank), and quickly found an Evinrude 2HP from 1973, for a very attractive price on Craiglist, a website here in the USA that is a very well known classified website. I knew mounting the outboard was going to be a challenge to say the least.

There are multiple reasons the motor can not mount on the transom. The starboard side is where I sit to drive and gear up at. The port side location gets in the way of my launching wheel, and with my VHF antenna mounted there I wouldn't be able to turn the outboard towards port. Moving the antenna to the starboard side might work, but it wouldn't leave me with a place to put my fishing rod holder, that holds the dive flag, and the all around navigation light. Sometimes we will also need to put the launching wheels down as we approach the beach. More importantly it doesn't clear the speed tubes, and could chop it to pieces. So no mounting directly the transom. (I really like how Gurnard's boat looks with his two outboards though. Also find it funny how many of us have matching brands from main to kicker.)

In the end I think I am going to use a device very similar to kaman, and store the outboard over the tube, then have it slide out to port for use. We will have to see how it does when the boat is loaded with three divers and all of our gear. The port side is also the lighter side typically as the fuel tank, tool box, and electronics tower do not weigh as much as a person nor dive gear. Over the next couple of weeks, I will have to try to source some stainless box tubing, hopefully from the scrap yard. The plan is to have a receiver mounted on the boat and a shaft that slides in and out, secured by a pin, either in the stowed location over the tube, or ready to use over the water. I do not want to take the risk of removing and installing the outboard while on the water so it seems like the best idea. (Folks had posted prior about the challenges of working in rough water, and I took their statements into account.) The actual mounting is going to be a trial and error since the angles are all over the place, with many different things having to fall into place (VHF antenna, launching wheel, lifting eye which is also the rear tow eye, and things I probably haven't thought of yet). I already took a 2x2 and clamped the motor to it for experimentation. Looks like it will work

So thanks to all who have participated in this thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kicker.jpg
Views:	2244
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	100751  
Old 12 November 2014, 11:14   #139

Is a 2hp going to move that size of boat even without wind / tide?
Old 12 November 2014, 12:27   #140

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
Is a 2hp going to move that size of boat even without wind / tide?
For much the same sort of reasons (but mainly tyhe gap between the A- frame & the main) I also got one of these we 2Hp lumps. And no, it couldn't pull the proverbial skin off the rice pudding.

What I did find tho' was that the 4Hp version takes up much the same space (it's a 2 cyl version of the 2Hp and something silly like 1/4" wider) so would be an easy upgrade in this instance.

Other thing to watch with those engines - when you are blatting along at Rib / Sib speed a lot of spray gets into electrical bits that I suspect Johnsorude never expected it to get into! Or put bluntly - put a polythene bag over it if you want it to start!)