Old 03 August 2008, 22:43   #1

Town: BLACKPOOL
Boat name: misty
Make: quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 6hp
nearly a maiden voyage

nearly went on our maiden voyage today, got to the sea when tide was on it's way out. tried to launch in about 2 foot of water, with the wheels of the boat down, not much luck though, boat soon filled half full of water, we were soaked, ended up with 2 phones & 2 cameras waterlogged, one phone and 1 camera dried out and worked again, mine did not work. got my slaves to drag me and the boat back to dry land,as being the captain of my boat, I stayed onboard till the last minute, I can see now why they say take a dry box with you, everything was soaked,never mind though it was a good laugh, and the dog enjoyed herself swimming around with her life jacket on, if we had a video camera phone that worked I am sure we could have got £250 from you've been framed. that would have paid towards our losses, never mind though we did enjoy ourselves, hope we have better luck next time, question time now, at the lower part of the transom of the Q/s 310 airdeck there is a hole with a plug on the outside of the boat, I was led to beleive this is a one way valve, is this true, will it not let water into the boat just out? this is not why we got soaked we got soaked as the little waves hit the boat and went into the boat as we were trying to launch, and it suprised me cause it was not a rough sea as you can tell by the pics, never mind we will try again and hopefully with better luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAMERA 052.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	36675   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAMERA 063.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	36676   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAMERA 073.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	36677   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAMERA 060.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	36678   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAMERA 067.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	36679  

Old 03 August 2008, 23:49   #2

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
The valve is a one way valve. In actual use it is more like a half-a-way valve as you have to get up a good head of speed and have a fair amount of water in the boat before it will drain. It definitely will not let water in though (at least not in any normal use situations )
Old 06 August 2008, 15:27   #3

Town: Oakland CA
I've always found that one-way valves aren't.

I always kept the plug in the Achilles until I needed to drain it; then reach in and pull the plug, get on plane for as long as it took to drain, and replace the plug. YMMV.

jky
Old 06 August 2008, 18:34   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
looks like you tried to push the boat out stern first could be the reason you got so wet
Old 06 August 2008, 19:19   #5

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I've always found that one-way valves aren't.

I always kept the plug in the Achilles until I needed to drain it; then reach in and pull the plug, get on plane for as long as it took to drain, and replace the plug. YMMV.

jky
Yes agreed - I half filled a boat with water with a one way value because there was a bit of weed stuck in the valve and I forgot to put the plug in. Launched and came back an hour later to discover it a bit wet.
Old 08 August 2008, 01:45   #6

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
Guess i've been lucky with my valve. When it is wet enough for me to have to use it I pull the plug and usually forget for the rest of the trip. yet to fill up the boat. maybe I don't stay in one place long enough!
Old 26 August 2008, 14:16   #7

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
nearly went on our maiden voyage today, got to the sea when tide was on it's way out. tried to launch in about 2 foot of water, with the wheels of the boat down, not much luck though, boat soon filled half full of water, we were soaked, ended up with 2 phones & 2 cameras waterlogged, one phone and 1 camera dried out and worked again, mine did not work. got my slaves to drag me and the boat back to dry land,as being the captain of my boat, I stayed onboard till the last minute, I can see now why they say take a dry box with you, everything was soaked,never mind though it was a good laugh, and the dog enjoyed herself swimming around with her life jacket on, if we had a video camera phone that worked I am sure we could have got £250 from you've been framed. that would have paid towards our losses, never mind though we did enjoy ourselves, hope we have better luck next time, question time now, at the lower part of the transom of the Q/s 310 airdeck there is a hole with a plug on the outside of the boat, I was led to beleive this is a one way valve, is this true, will it not let water into the boat just out? this is not why we got soaked we got soaked as the little waves hit the boat and went into the boat as we were trying to launch, and it suprised me cause it was not a rough sea as you can tell by the pics, never mind we will try again and hopefully with better luck
UNLUCKY ON YOUR MAIDEN VOYAGE...............I GENERALLY WALK OUT WITH THE BOAT WATER UP TO ME WAIST /SHORTS,,,,,,,,,JUMP IN ROW OUT A BIT,,,,,,,,,,,,WHEN IVE CHECKED THE DEPTH WITH FISH FINDER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEN DROP THE ENGINE DOWN