Old 13 October 2009, 08:28   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Ratcliff
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp parsun
Navigation lights for Zodiac 3.1m SIB

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. Does anyone have any good ideas about navigation lights for my Zodiac 3.1m SIB? Seen a couple of things on various websites but am looking for a recommendation on what works well on SIBs. Thanks a lot, Tim
Old 13 October 2009, 08:41   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
think a lot is how much you are going to use them and where ,,busy shipping channels or just for emergencys if you get caught out,,, i carry the battery operated lights ,think they cost me about £12,couple of years ago ,depending how fast you are wanting to go just one all aound white lights ok if you only go below 7 knots,i got a red ,a green, and a white in the kit ,however you do mount them ,make sure the white is over 1 metre higher up than the red/green ,,,for just using a single whiteall around light some of the small camping type lanterns are ok,,,dont know which model zodiac yours is but some older models had a mounting for a flag/on the bow which could be utilised for mounting a pair of nav lights,
Old 14 October 2009, 08:15   #3

Thanks for that. The all round white i've spotted is the Navi Light 360 - anyone got any experience of this and how to attach it to the SIB? Thanks...
Old 14 October 2009, 12:25   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I use these removable LED navigation lights. They run on 4 AAA batteries per light. For this application, don't mess around and just get some lithium batteries for it. The shelf life, cold weather performance and the longevity of the lithium batteries (especially when running LEDs) will be well worth the extra cost of the lithiums.

http://www.innovativelight.com/batte...1_11535_1.cfm#

The lights have several attachment options, but I'll be modifying the attachment system slightly to make it more secure while still easily removable. The attachment system will incorporate some Scotty quick mount fittings which are extremely secure & and quick to attach/detach. This mounting base will be attache on both the transom and on the lid of the bow storage box;

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...eck-mounts.htm

A modified post (of appropriate height) with this end fitting will be connected to the posts (short post at bow, longer at stern) that come with the light units;

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...-extenders.htm
Old 14 October 2009, 15:58   #5

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Lot's of ways to carry nav lights. I stayed away from battery powered lights. Here in the US those low power lights limit the boat to under 7 knots and I want to be seen with all of the traffic here in the main channel. I went for 3nm lights. Installed the front combo red and green light on a plastic cutting board and strap it down to the two d rings and the metal tow ring on the front. Easily removable and the handles on the cutting board made it easy to strap down. Extended a short 3nm all around light with an aluminum tube and it bolts on my transom. Height is good when you wish to be seen. Installed sealable "cigarette lighter" outlets up under my dash to plug into. Don't forget to wire in a fuse! Great visibility and no speed limit here (other than common sense). Maybe the pics will give you some ideas of your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow-light.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	46608   Click image for larger version

Name:	all-around1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	46609   Click image for larger version

Name:	all-around2.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	46610  
Old 14 October 2009, 19:50   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Older style Zodiacs used to be able to secure battery operated navigation lights to the bow under the pennant. Zodiac still make them (reference Z1097), but I'm not sure how they attach.

I fitted a stainless steel stern light to the transom. It can accept a red/green filter lens or you can use it as a stern light without the filter. Works off the main engine with the addition of a marine switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NavigationLights.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	46621  
Old 15 October 2009, 16:57   #7

THanks guys for the info. Have settled on the Navi Light for an all round white and have found these Guardian button lights as side lights, which look pretty cool. The clip means they can be attached to the side straps easily without the need for any additional attachments.

http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.u...re-676960.html

Happy SIBbing!

Tim
Old 16 October 2009, 14:33   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
those side lights don't look like they are the required 120 degrees? They also seem to be blue/red not green/red ?
Old 16 October 2009, 14:47   #9
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
those side lights don't look like they are the required 120 degrees? They also seem to be blue/red not green/red ?
Good point. Don't mean to be pedantic but its 112.5.

James
Old 16 October 2009, 16:15   #10

[QUOTE=spartacus;321072] Older style Zodiacs used to be able to secure battery operated navigation lights to the bow under the pennant. Zodiac still make them (reference Z1097), but I'm not sure how they attach.

The pennant or flag was screwed into a brass or bronze thread ,which was under a small hole on top of the bow dodger above the emblem ,,,the lights,,paired together just screwed into that ,,though on some later models it was not fitted ,,
Old 16 October 2009, 16:21   #11

and dont forget that if you are fitting red /green side lights the all around white then needs to be at least 1 meter above the red green on a pole or short mast as KELSONS pics show .,,
Old 16 October 2009, 17:07   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
and dont forget that if you are fitting red /green side lights the all around white then needs to be at least 1 meter above the red green on a pole or short mast as KELSONS pics show .,,
I'm guessing Kelson's pics are closer to 2ft than 1m ! Although whilst its possible to get all anal about it its probably more important that they are in visible locations than bang on 1m... IMHO
Old 16 October 2009, 18:01   #13

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
The light is actually a little higher than it looks. The angle I took the picture from makes it look lower, but it is still not 1m above my nav lights when on the trailer! Dang, one more thing to fix when I get around to it. I guess the 1 m rule would be based off the boat at rest, because the bow lights relative height sure changes a lot depending on speed, waves and weight in the boat. I have been stopped (it was one of my all too frequent paranoid U.S. Homeland security random hassles) and the Harbor Patrol commented that it was "Nice to see an inflatable with real lights". Still think I'll install a new longer extension soon. Thanks for the heads up! For some reason the Harbor Patrol, the Lifeguards and ICE (Immigration & Customs Enforcement) are drawn to the red boat so I have to be on top of it. I see a lot of kayak fishermen with those battery powered lights and they are hard to spot until you get close. Go bright.
Old 16 October 2009, 18:13   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I did have a pair of the regular battery operated lights, the LED versions are quite a bit brighter. If I were to keep a marine battery on the boat, I'd probably use a system similar to Kelson's. For me it's just not practical to lug around a marine battery in the inflatable simply to operate some lights.
Old 17 October 2009, 07:58   #15

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I have been stopped (it was one of my all too frequent paranoid U.S. Homeland security random hassles) and the Harbor Patrol commented that it was "Nice to see an inflatable with real lights". Still think I'll install a new longer extension soon. Thanks for the heads up! For some reason the Harbor Patrol, the Lifeguards and ICE (Immigration & Customs Enforcement) are drawn to the red boat so I have to be on top of it. I see a lot of kayak fishermen with those battery powered lights and they are hard to spot until you get close. Go bright.
We're lucky to see any kind of 'official presence' in Scotland, especially along the Moray Firth coast or the west coast.
Old 19 October 2009, 17:42   #16

Thanks guys for comments and advice - noted re the 1m high difference for the all round white, as well as the side light visibility issue. Appreciate the help
Old 23 October 2009, 19:49   #17

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcliff View Post
Thanks guys for comments and advice - noted re the 1m high difference for the all round white, as well as the side light visibility issue. Appreciate the help
To fit the transom light you dont have any troble to stand it up just srub the light base to the transom in the other side you use to seat down to drive your boat, the green/red ligth on the bow, i bought a perco two lights in one and i make a solid base whit epoxi filler to fit the curve of the bow and glue two parts of velcro, one to the base and the other to the bow i use a deep cycle 12 volts battery
Old 24 October 2009, 20:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirssant View Post
To fit the transom light you dont have any troble to stand it up just srub the light base to the transom in the other side you use to seat down to drive your boat, the green/red ligth on the bow, i bought a perco two lights in one and i make a solid base whit epoxi filler to fit the curve of the bow and glue two parts of velcro, one to the base and the other to the bow i use a deep cycle 12 volts battery
i think in the uk you still need an all around white light ,even if you have a stern light fitted, unless its a sail boat ,,,no doubt someone will put me right ,,lol