Old 07 February 2017, 17:25   #201

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflhat View Post
Yeh would be good to get out for a run with some other thundercats, thinking about organizing a race or cruise of some sort up here too

Id potentially be up for a trip up north some time!
Old 07 February 2017, 19:04   #202

Town: Scotland
Boat name: BigBoat
Make: Yamaha
Length: 10m +
Engine: G3006
Great work man, love the stickers, so sleek.. where can I get my paws on some of them?

Looking forward to seeing what speed the little rippa breaks hey!
Old 10 February 2017, 19:09   #203

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
can ask do they go well in chop as always wanted one guss there 2/3 k new
is engine s/ shaft
adrian
Old 10 February 2017, 21:02   #204

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon0310 View Post
is engine s/ shaft
adrian

i ment 3/4 k !
Old 11 February 2017, 02:18   #205

Town: Québec
Length: 3m +
My thundercat

I was looking into a chinesse copy of a thunderbolt, for 1500$ i mean what could i loss, i am not into racing at all so maxium KMH is not the question. The thunderbolt seems to handle the chop really well.
Old 11 February 2017, 02:43   #206

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	117973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	117974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	117975Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	117976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	117977
Old 11 February 2017, 07:40   #207

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fel2 View Post
I was looking into a chinesse copy of a thunderbolt, for 1500$ i mean what could i loss, i am not into racing at all so maxium KMH is not the question. The thunderbolt seems to handle the chop really well.

Don't do it!! If your not going into racing you can buy a pretty good used setup (engine/trailer/hull+extras) for £2500!

I bought a donor zapcat rig for £1500 a while ago. They will be much more worth it.

Have a look on the thundercat racing uk pages and groups on Facebook (there's a few different pages) there's always some for sale or get in contact with the racing website and they will usually know if something for sale.
Old 11 February 2017, 16:34   #208

I wish ... i wish.. zap cat are not a common boat in Canada. Buying a brand new is just too much for something i don't plan pushing really hard.
Old 12 February 2017, 09:46   #209

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon0310 View Post
is engine s/ shaft
adrian
The chop is where these boats really excel. On flat water they're great, they turn like they're on rails and they'll go fast in a straight line, but when it's rough is when they really come into their own. When it's calm the performance is comparable to most jetskis, but in waves the thundercat rides on a cushion of air between the two hulls, it's impossible to slam. Much more comfortable ride and it allows you to go much faster

Engines are short shaft on all zapcats and thundercats, the thunderbolt takes a long shaft

Quote:
I would avoid the chinese copies, even a 10 year old South African hull is better than a new chinese one, the build quality just isn't up to scratch. As they say, buy cheap buy twice..
There's a few guys in the states and Canada that are into these boats, have a look on boatracingfacts. They're called SLT (SuperLightTunnels) over there. Get in touch with Andrew Fralick, he's in Canada and has connections with aquarius
Old 12 February 2017, 09:54   #210

RIBase
Old 14 February 2017, 04:03   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflhat View Post
the chop is where these boats really excel. On flat water they're great, they turn like they're on rails and they'll go fast in a straight line, but when it's rough is when they really come into their own. When it's calm the performance is comparable to most jetskis, but in waves the thundercat rides on a cushion of air between the two hulls, it's impossible to slam. Much more comfortable ride and it allows you to go much faster

engines are short shaft on all zapcats and thundercats, the thunderbolt takes a long shaft

i would avoid the chinese copies, even a 10 year old south african hull is better than a new chinese one, the build quality just isn't up to scratch. As they say, buy cheap buy twice..

There's a few guys in the states and canada that are into these boats, have a look on boatracingfacts. They're called slt (superlighttunnels) over there. Get in touch with andrew fralick, he's in canada and has connections with aquarius

thank you !!
Old 04 April 2017, 06:44   #212

Not to hijack your thread by any mean,

I finally put the cash down for the ceasar surfcat , you gave really good advice about this boat in the past on this forum and it just suit better what i plan to use the boat for : doing circle.

Yeah not really but nothing about racing, mostly just fun and cruising along where i live. I still have 150 KM of river to explore and much more ..

Jacques @ ceasar answered all my question.

Im glad i didnt go with the chinesse boat.

I wish i could find an old yamaha 4 stroke 40HP to put on the back. The early one weight around 180LBS and should have more pep than a 30 honda.

I also found a really nice honda 2003 40hp but it is kinda heavy. But it also look like a 2013.

Any update on your engine? This thing look like a monster.
Old 05 April 2017, 06:37   #213

RIBase
Nice one, what colour did you go for? Not sure if the design of the surfcat has changed over the last few years, the one I had was a 2005. The Ceasar Thundercat has definitely changed a lot. My new hull is 20cm longer and a good bit wider than my TI. Have you got any photos of yours?

I think going for a proper South African hull is a good choice, will hold its value a lot better too. Jacques definitely knows his stuff, it's reasurring to buy a boat from someone who's spent a lot of time racing and using them.

Personally I would always so go 2 stroke although I think they race Infantas with newer Yamaha 40hp 4 strokes in France.

My own engine is finally getting there, had an absolute nightmare trying to source 0.5mm oversize pistons for it. It better be fast after all this!
Old 05 April 2017, 07:16   #214

My thundercat

I went for a mix of red and grey. To give you an idea, nothing crazy.

The boat is red, floor grey , the rope line is grey, hi jacker is grey and the arrow on the hi jacker are red. The line above the bumber and the transom
Tape is grey also. I choose the under side black as i think it will look cleaner longer than white.

The model didnt really change i think. I almost ended with the stingray surfcat style boat but the open transom looked much better built and heavy duty than the wood one of the stingray. I was happy with the color of the stingray but then used the same mix match on the ceasar. Also much easier to clean at the end of the day or if you drop a beer.

Name:	IMG_1761.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	118832

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	118833

Here the lastest surf cat they make. I ended with the old style logo anyway as i feel it just look better than just a brand no one know on a boat.

I think the only thing we don't see on the picture is above the bumper there is a colored line you could pick from.

I wish i could put my hand on a 70ces. Look like the engine needed to scare the &$@& of you.

Seems i just can't go wrong with the surfcat. Handling and speed are all there

I will need some prop advice and saw you made lot of test hahaha i know where to ask now
Old 05 April 2017, 16:22   #215

RIBase
Cool looking boats, I think red and grey work together well. You can get wooden inserts for the aluminium transoms, mine had them fitted originally and they're quite useful. They had elephants trunks too, could drain quickly enough for most conditions, just in the surf you want the open transom. Not great for low speed reversing though!

The surfcat seemed to handle additional weight better, 3 people was no problem whereas the thundercat isn't so happy.

The powerhead is getting sent today, hopefully get things put together over the weekend ready for some good weather for testing. I've got even more props now which all need to be tried! Also having the first of my own design made, hopefully test them next month
Old 12 April 2017, 16:06   #216

RIBase
I designed a jack plate and had it cut using waterjet, came out really nice

Finally got the powerhead back after 5 months, in the end it got reed block stuffers, it's been ported, new 0.5mm oversize pistons and new rings, the block skimmed and the head worked.

First thing I did was get it torn apart and paint it, black of course

Everything now plugged in ready to go, had it running briefly on the muffs last night. Started second pull and sounds very healthy! Hopefully launch tomorrow and get it broken in. Also had the fuel tank cut so it can sit flat on the deck, and moved the rubber D rings so the straps would sit nicely across it. Changed the top out for an aluminium one (original was steel) and fitted a yamaha pick up. Filled up with super unleaded mixed at 40:1.

Went to fit a primer kit to the engine but the blank plugs are the wrong diameter, so new kit on order and I'll fit that when it gets here
Old 12 April 2017, 16:08   #217

My thundercat

No trouble using jack plate and longshaft engine ? Trying to find a shortshaft is a nightmare. I found a really nice 60HP yamaha enduro in perfect condition but longshaft hum

Really clean look
Old 12 April 2017, 16:14   #218

RIBase
Quote:
No trouble using jack plate and longshaft engine ? Trying to find a shortshaft is a nightmare. I found a really nice 60HP yamaha enduro in perfect condition but longshaft hum
I wouldn't to be honest, you'll have serious handling issues with a longshaft on one of these. Put it on the transom and the gearbox is far too low, put it high and you'll likely roll it if you try to corner too hard. It has been done but I would definitely avoid it if possible
Old 12 April 2017, 16:14   #219

That what i thought !
Old 16 April 2017, 17:53   #220

RIBase
Took the boat out for the first time on Thursday, got the run in done with an 18p merc cleaver. Slowly built the speed up over a couple hours taking breaks to get heat cycles into the pistons.
Had 55.3 knots 2up but there was a fair bit of wind. Engine runs so well, unbelievable power all through the rev range! Engine was low down on the transom to load the motor up so still not getting all the revs from it.

Had it out again today, 1up got 57.8 knots. Boat feels really stable even at high speed, next step is to raise the motor a bit and get more RPM from it. Got a photo of it behind our new ranger