Old 20 June 2013, 02:52   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Torqeedo
My first SIB : Zodiac + Torqeedo + Beachmaster!

Well I recently bought my first boat (I'm 29) and after much thought settled on a Zodiac 360 Fastroller paired with a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 tiller and Torqeedo P26-104 lithium battery.

I also got Beachmaster launch wheels.

Initial thoughts:

1. Blown away by the stability of the zodiac. I don't have any real world experience with SIBs/RIBs and was amazed at how me and two friends could all be fishing from one side of the boat and it didn't list at all. Seams look to be solid. Keel stays true. A bit too "white" for me but this should help mitigate temp/pressure buildup in direct sunlight.

2. The Torqeedo is, if you can spare the $, a wonderful exhibit of over-engineered German brilliance. The motor has the new higher pitch (V19/P4000) prop and with just me aboard I can get up on a plane and get a bit of wind in the face at around 20 km/h! (It's 5-6 hp equivalent) With three guys she'll go a more sedate 10 km/h or so. The battery can hold a ton of juice.

3. I saw somewhere that the Beachmaster wheels were the "ones to get". Again these aren't easy on the wallet but wow - simple but elegant folding mechanism, compact, rock solid. I have the model with quick release so the wheels can come off when I roll the boat up.

So far very pleased and am getting better at the set-up/take-down process each time.

A couple pics:

Installing the wheel mounts with the help of my 9 month old son!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100465.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	81664   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100462.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	81665  
Old 20 June 2013, 08:10   #2

Make: zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
I guess if you are buying a Torqeedo Cruise and associated batteries the cost of the Beachmasters is a drop in the ocean
Old 20 June 2013, 10:10   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Was there a reason for the electric powered outboard over petrol powered outboard?
Old 21 June 2013, 03:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post
I guess if you are buying a Torqeedo Cruise and associated batteries the cost of the Beachmasters is a drop in the ocean
True true. The Beachmaster's are really a very solid value. Of course a "wheel on a stick" would have done the job handily but there is satisfaction every time these wheels tuck into their retracted position with a certain click that says quality. Great engineering from the Kiwis.
Old 21 June 2013, 03:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Was there a reason for the electric powered outboard over petrol powered outboard?
I suppose it was a lot of little things that added up.

~I'm using my car to carry the boat around and the idea of a super clean system was appealing - no stinky fuel tank, no drops of oil, drips of gas etc.

~Easy to own - pretty much zero maintenance with no carb to baby or annual winterizing (live in Canada). True it cost a mint to buy but it's still nice that recharging the battery (which lasts ages) costs me about 20 cents and the electricity here is mainly from clean sources.

~Quiet - I can zip along and actually chat with someone else in the boat.

~Technology - Kinda subjective but I love that Torqeedo has really sweated the details with CAD optimized props, in-house designed motors, a battery pack in which each cell is mothered by a freakishly advanced central brain, the list goes on. Even the On/Off Switch feels substantial.

~Balance - A minor point, but the system is actually fairly light (motor 17 kg and battery 24 kg) and with the battery up front there is even a slight forward bias which partially offsets me being in the back.

True I wouldn't mind if it went even faster, as it could easily with a petrol outboard. And the price is a bit sobering, but work gave me a big bonus and my beautiful wife said go for it!

I look forward to some fishing and exploring with my little guy when he gets a touch older.
Old 21 June 2013, 06:58   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hi Coppel,

Welcome to ribnet, and congratulations on your new acquisition. I've been curious about the Torqueedo for a while. I would be curious to find out what sort of range you would get at displacement speed with a fully charged battery & in calm conditions.

I'm thinking it could be great for trolling, shallow water cruising/wildlife observation, as well as a back up to the main outboard. If the main outboard isn't running due to some bad gas in your fuel tanks, you'd have the same issue with a gas outboard for backup.

It's great to see you've got a mechanic on board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppel View Post
. A bit too "white" for me but this should help mitigate temp/pressure buildup in direct sunlight.
No need to worry - that will change soon enough
Old 21 June 2013, 08:47   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Must be amazing to drift along in silence. That's the big issue with a 2 stroke for me - OK on the sea but even at 4 kts or so sat right next to a buzzing 2 stroke it kinds of spoils the tranquility of crusing along a small river...
Old 22 June 2013, 19:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Must be amazing to drift along in silence. That's the big issue with a 2 stroke for me - OK on the sea but even at 4 kts or so sat right next to a buzzing 2 stroke it kinds of spoils the tranquility of crusing along a small river...
It really is quite tranquil. While the motor isn't absolutely silent - there is a soft electric whine- it is worlds apart from a two or four stroke gas unit. Critters on the bank/shoreline will actually stick around instead of beating a hasty retreat and this opens up the possibility of some special moments.
Old 22 June 2013, 19:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Hi Coppel,

Welcome to ribnet, and congratulations on your new acquisition. I've been curious about the Torqueedo for a while. I would be curious to find out what sort of range you would get at displacement speed with a fully charged battery & in calm conditions.

I'm thinking it could be great for trolling, shallow water cruising/wildlife observation, as well as a back up to the main outboard. If the main outboard isn't running due to some bad gas in your fuel tanks, you'd have the same issue with a gas outboard for backup.

It's great to see you've got a mechanic on board!
Thanks for the welcome, prairie tuber.

Regarding range, I haven't done extensive testing at constant speed, but my experience so far, with a watchful eye on the range/speed/power/batterylife display, tells me that the battery really does gives its claimed 2600+ watt-hours.

For my setup, I am confident in extrapolating the following:

Max throttle (about 2400 watts draw), one man = ~ 20 km range
Max throttle, three men = ~ 11 km range
Trolling speed, 2-3 km/h, one man = 200+ km range!!!
Trolling speed, three men = again 200+ km range!!!
5-6 km/h, three men = ~ 70 km range

These values assume calm water with no opposing current or headwind.

The motor and big prop is ridiculously efficient at low speed.

The built-in GPS and info readout on the tiller is incredibly useful.
Old 22 June 2013, 20:40   #10

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I would be interested in how you find the thwart in the rearmost position. I was under the impression that rear position was for an optional second thwart. I guess that at end of the day, its down to whether passengers sit on tubes or thwart, but with my 9 year old, he is not sitting on the tubes, so for us, the thwart foremost makes most sense. Took a few trips before wife realised that tubes were more comfortable.
Old 23 June 2013, 03:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I would be interested in how you find the thwart in the rearmost position. I was under the impression that rear position was for an optional second thwart. I guess that at end of the day, its down to whether passengers sit on tubes or thwart, but with my 9 year old, he is not sitting on the tubes, so for us, the thwart foremost makes most sense. Took a few trips before wife realised that tubes were more comfortable.
I think I'll end up just using it for when kids are on board, in the front. If adults only, I prefer the boat with no twart at all. Like you point out, the tubes are really comfy. So the bench (as I call it) is a bit redundant in the back.

I see you have the 360 FR. How long have you had it for? Any thoughts to share? Thanks!
Old 07 August 2013, 00:25   #12

New pics!

Thought some might enjoy a fews shots of the zodiac and torqeedo combo.

1. Boat on the roof - works well. Battery and motor live in the trunk (boot for the Brits) with plenty of room to spare.

2. Inflating. The whole set up is down to about 20 minutes now.

3. Sun in the eyes - life is good.

4. My little guy in the bow. He has mixed feelings about boating at this age.

5. My little family.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110053.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	83745   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110056.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	83746   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110057.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	83747   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110060.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	83748   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110064.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	83749  

Old 07 August 2013, 00:32   #13

A couple more pics...

1. The torqeedo has enough grunt to get me across bodies of water, combined with incredible silent accuracy at low speeds for trolling or for holding the perfect position to cast in and around the weeds.

2. Had to show off my first catch in the zodiac, a 25 inch walleye. That was early afternoon...I'd been trolling for hours and still had over 60% battery life when I called it quits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110103.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	83750   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110111.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	83751  
Old 07 August 2013, 02:01   #14

Town: Pooler, Georgia