Old 21 August 2015, 16:32   #11
Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
To be honest a small amount of premixed fuel in a larger tank is unlikely to make much difference. If the premix is a 2% mixture then it is only 98% petrol so there is less petrol to burn than the engine expects. However, if you tip a few spare litres into a 50 litre tank of petrol, it is further diluted. However, better safe than sorry. Getting rid of stale pre-mixed fuel was one of the mildly irritating aspects of owning a 2 stroke motor.

Either way, as I said, there are pros and cons. 2 stroke is lighter, cheaper, simpler, but noisier and dirtier.

Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 16:47   #12
Why not just mix the two stroke in the outboard tank as required whether it be in an an external or integral outboard tank.
I use a 4 stroke main and a 2 stroke auxiliary on my small sib.
I carry unleaded fuel only in my jerry cans.
That way I've got the option to add 2 stroke oil if I need to use my 2 stroke engine.
Once it's mixed you can't take the 2 stroke oil back out.
I carry a small measuring cap and 2 stroke oil in a small kids fruit shoot bottle - about 200ml with a pop up locking cap.
A quick squirt of 2 stroke oil as required does the trick.

kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2015, 03:06   #13
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Would this matter? What harm does the oil do?? I'm all diesel cars now but I always used already mixed post season fuel in my Focus and still do in my lawnmower.
That wouldn't do the Focus Cat Convertor much good.

Lawnmower - TC3W is different to air cooled two stroke oil. Lawnmowers (air cooled) run MUCH hotter and you stand a serious chance if the TC3W not working at that high a temp. Likewise air cooled 2stroke oil doesn't work as well at low temps so running an OB on it risks damage.

Small quantities will be fine I expect. Large quantities which based on my strimmer having a 250ml tank is not really a lot will be more likely to coz problems.

If someone has found TC3W that also meets air cooled spec please shout up.
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2015, 03:36   #14
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
If I ever have any outboard 2-stroke fuel to dispose of I never put it in a car... just in case.

But I do use it in my 4-stroke lawnmower and hedgecutter mixed equally with new neat petrol so the 100:1 Mercury/Mariner mix becomes 200:1 which in two decades has never caused any issues. I do have 10l spare for the mower at the moment as I bought an outboard earlier this year with half a tank of fuel but there was no way I could ever trust what quality of 2-stroke oil was used or what its ratio was.

Further than that I'm no great believer in fuel going off over winter so as long as it's a mix I've made with Quicksilver oil I use it next season. However usually I only have half a tank or less left so before the first outing topping it up means the fuel is 50%+ fresh.
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2015, 04:30   #15
Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Loving this new mowernet 😀 I have a toro mulcher

Mickhitchuk is online now   Reply With Quote