Old 30 April 2010, 17:32   #1

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Most Recent Fishing Trip

With a brilliant forecast for Tuesday we thought we'd take the 'lilo' out for a spin.

Launched at Walton on the Naze (Essex) and headed for the Shipwash bank off of Harwich.

Anchored up on some cracking broken ground just outside the shipping lane and had Cod, mostly 7-10lb, from the off.

Used about 20 litres for the 30 mile round trip, and with the calm conditions it only took us about 35 minutes to get out.

Ended up taking 11 good sized Cod home for the freezer.

Considering that the best fishing presents itself in different areas, season to to season, year to year......who the hell would want a marina berthed boat, or one restricted to concrete slips! lol

SIBs are the ultimate fishing machine, no question.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2010, 21:09   #2

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Nice one Sharkbyte.
30 miles for £24, not bad. I know a lot of anglers would kill for that kind of economy.

I am aiming to finish my boat this weekend, and will be posting pictures soon. It was seeing your boat that inspired me to aim for something similar. Although it has turned out to be not very similar, I am pleased with it.

Don't know if I would have the balls to head 15 miles off, but I guess I will head out a little more, then a little more...

Well done on your fish. Any pictures so I can live vicariously whilst mine awaits completion?

Geoff
Old 01 May 2010, 07:32   #3

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
With a brilliant forecast for Tuesday we thought we'd take the 'lilo' out for a spin.

Launched at Walton on the Naze (Essex) and headed for the Shipwash bank off of Harwich.

Anchored up on some cracking broken ground just outside the shipping lane and had Cod, mostly 7-10lb, from the off.

Used about 20 litres for the 30 mile round trip, and with the calm conditions it only took us about 35 minutes to get out.

Considering that the best fishing presents itself in different areas, season to to season, year to year......who the hell would want a marina berthed boat, or one restricted to concrete slips! lol

SIBs are the ultimate fishing machine, no question.
Nice to get a report from you fella,been a while,well done on getting out and catching,come on don' t keep us all in suspenders,we live off photos,lol
Old 01 May 2010, 07:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Nice one Sharkbyte.
30 miles for £24, not bad. I know a lot of anglers would kill for that kind of economy.

I am aiming to finish my boat this weekend, and will be posting pictures soon. It was seeing your boat that inspired me to aim for something similar. Although it has turned out to be not very similar, I am pleased with it.

Don't know if I would have the balls to head 15 miles off, but I guess I will head out a little more, then a little more...

Well done on your fish. Any pictures so I can live vicariously whilst mine awaits completion?

Geoff
looking forward to seeing ya boat geoff,should have pics of mine up soon
Old 01 May 2010, 08:32   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:

Interesting post. We did a lot of fishing last year and it was bloody awful. Even the local fisherman were complaining that it was poor. Launched from Rosehearty to Gardenstown (Moray Firth), Stonehaven to Inverbervie (NE coast) and even tried west coast of Lewis, probably 5 miles out. Fishing was better with decent sized pollack, red gurnard, mackeral and saith. Hoping this season is better.

Used the freshest bait, peeler crab, squid, rag and lug worm, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1940.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	50684  
Old 01 May 2010, 18:49   #6

yes a lot can be said for fishing off a SIB,my latest catch again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0712.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	50695  
Old 02 May 2010, 12:09   #7

Here's a pic of my brother with the best fish of the day @ 11.5lb

One small correction, we only used about 15 litres of fuel, not the 20 that I originally quoted.

All good.

Looking forward to seeing your finished boat, Geoff. I a sure that it will give you numerous hours of fun, much as ours continues to do.

Hi Spartacus

Good luck this season, it would certainly be a great deal easier if fish weren't so mobile!

Old 02 May 2010, 16:51   #8

Cracking cod there,smashing fish well done ,keep them reports coming
Old 02 May 2010, 18:21   #9

Hi Shane

Hopefully the cod will still be around for another few weeks, the water temp is still below average....I desperately want that 20+'er this year! lol.

With big smoothies, stingrays, thornbacks, sole and tope etc. on offer, let's hope that this summer is whole lot kinder than the last one.

Old 02 May 2010, 20:14   #10

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
yes a lot can be said for fishing off a SIB,my latest catch again
Nice couple of rays...did you eat them? Nice?
Old 02 May 2010, 20:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
I'm still stuck boatless somewhere between a RIB and a SIB...but 15 MILES!! It would depend if I could get a piece of string that long.
Old 02 May 2010, 21:57   #12

Quote:
Hi Shane

Hopefully the cod will still be around for another few weeks, the water temp is still below average....I desperately want that 20+'er this year! lol.

With big smoothies, stingrays, thornbacks, sole and tope etc. on offer, let's hope that this summer is whole lot kinder than the last one.
Hi ya mate my sentiments exactly,lets hope its a darn good summer,not been great for a few years now,looking forward to seeing your reports and pics of good fish,hope to do the same,GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES,AS THE SAYING GOES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WATCH THIS SPACE,LETS GET SOME REPORTS UP ON HERE,,,,,WE WILL SHOW THEM BIG GIN PALACES HOW ITS DONE,LOL,WHO NEEDS A BLOODY GREAT HARD BOTTOM BOAT,WITH LOADS OF FEES AND MOORING HASSLE,WHEN WE CAN GET OUT,CLOSE IN ,OR FURTHER OUT,BEST OF BOTH WORLDS
Old 02 May 2010, 23:15   #13

Hi ooglewoogle

'Piece of string', indeed!

Everyone knows that a dropping a trail of bread crumbs on the way out is the only reliable method of finding your way home. ;-)

Although our journey to Tuesday's fishing mark was 15 miles from where we launched, it was only about 8 miles from the nearest dry land.

It does sound a long way, but bearing in mind that 17 foot GRP angling boats regularly venture out to 20+ miles....???

Our equipment levels are on a par, if not in excess, of most of those boys, and I would say that our instincts for self preservation far outweigh some of the chancers that I have seen.

I would quite happily pit the Zodiac against any of the most popular 16-17 foot fast fishers in overcoming truly horrendous conditions. It's going to be very slow going, very wet, and extremely uncomfortable. Chances are, if your equipment is well secured and 100% reliable....you'll get home and not end up rolled or on the sea bed.

Hit a sunken object at 25 knots, the GRP boat could well be holed and sink. The 'lilo', very unlikely, and it definitely wouldn't sink. With only half an outboard engine left, it may be costly though lol.

A fixed rope round the prop in 3 knots of tide would fill the GRP boat up from over the transom in no time. When trying to retrieve stuck anchors in tides that strong we've purposely had the SIB sideways, back to front, you name it. No sweat.

None of this is pure guesswork.......this is our other boat.

Great as it is, it's bloody heavy to tow and launch, bloody thirsty by comparison, nowhere near as versatile......and doesn't give a fraction of the fun / satisfaction!

Old 03 May 2010, 04:10   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Hi ooglewoogle

'Piece of string', indeed!

Everyone knows that a dropping a trail of bread crumbs on the way out is the only reliable method of finding your way home. ;-)

Although our journey to Tuesday's fishing mark was 15 miles from where we launched, it was only about 8 miles from the nearest dry land.

It does sound a long way, but bearing in mind that 17 foot GRP angling boats regularly venture out to 20+ miles....???

Our equipment levels are on a par, if not in excess, of most of those boys, and I would say that our instincts for self preservation far outweigh some of the chancers that I have seen.

I would quite happily pit the Zodiac against any of the most popular 16-17 foot fast fishers in overcoming truly horrendous conditions. It's going to be very slow going, very wet, and extremely uncomfortable. Chances are, if your equipment is well secured and 100% reliable....you'll get home and not end up rolled or on the sea bed.

Hit a sunken object at 25 knots, the GRP boat could well be holed and sink. The 'lilo', very unlikely, and it definitely wouldn't sink. With only half an outboard engine left, it may be costly though lol.

A fixed rope round the prop in 3 knots of tide would fill the GRP boat up from over the transom in no time. When trying to retrieve stuck anchors in tides that strong we've purposely had the SIB sideways, back to front, you name it. No sweat.

Great as it is, it's bloody heavy to tow and launch, bloody thirsty by comparison, nowhere near as versatile......and doesn't give a fraction of the fun / satisfaction!

Maybe you need to get something inbetween them and buy a rib then

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 08:01   #15

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Nos you really don't miss an opportunity do you

Having now sold our little RIB our SIB will be this summers fun - will be interesting to compare the two and decide which way to jump at the end of the season

Sharkbyte - stunning looking fish

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 18:19   #16

Quote:
Thanks for that SB...some useful stuff to know!