Old 16 May 2016, 12:37   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Mk3 Futura fastroller

...Anyone on here ever owned one?

Any good? Looks like they are the biggest airfloor sib available, wondering what they're like for rigidity.

I have spotted one for sale locally and size-wise it would be more suitable for me than the aerotec, but if it wobbles around like a jelly then not so interested. I guess they are considerably heavier than the aerotec too. And the price of a new one is staggering...

Cheers

Simon
Old 16 May 2016, 13:00   #2

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
84kg... bit of a brute... HUGE inside though... doesn't seem to be much of a V keel to it.

Old 16 May 2016, 13:18   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
84kg... bit of a brute... HUGE inside though... doesn't seem to be much of a V keel to it.

The Futura has a fairly shallow keel to it to minimize drag and increase speed. The keel barely touches when the boat is on plane, as the boat rides on the speed tubes.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 14:15   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Be great for you to get one to share pics/video and hear how it went compared to the Aerotec.

Didn't thestig1973 have one for a year or two?

Remember they do both air and alloy floor versions... big difference in portability from the Aerotec even in the air floor version which weighs 84kg... double the Aerotec. The alloy floor model weights 126 kg but can be nicely kitted out with semi-fixed seats and steering etc... makes it a trailer boat though.

I've long respected the style and idea of one but just not car portable enough for us. I did get close to offering on a couple of different ones a few years back (Mk2C models, 3.8m) but I seem to remember they were quite old with repairs/potential repairs to glued seems required.

I assume the alloy floor model... particularly with a steering setup... is a very sturdy and capable craft... albeit with a different way of going than the Aerotec as I think they are something of a surface skimmer.

Wonder about the air floor model... at the huge new price I'd assume they don't have the usual flat air floor effects at speed??

The grey one in Office888's video link seems to run nicely flat for a 45hp one up.

Think this is an infrequent forum member's video in their Futura. As a matter of interest that's approx the conditions we experienced last outing with a gusting easterly over meeting outgoing estuary tides. The Aerotec was fine, family confident and we didn't get quite so wet as I try and avoid those just off the bow waves that break into the boat.

Old 16 May 2016, 16:40   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I love the idea of these big SIBs but if you're going to have something that big and heavy (with trailer no doubt) I would much rather get an SR4 with a 40 or 50 on the back - 35 kts and the ability to handle much bigger seas and leave any SIB for dead.

Of course you're back to the usual RIB v SIB arguments - storage, running costs, launching possibilities, draft etc.

If I had space I'd go small SIB + 15 *and* SR4 + 40/50 rather than big SIB + 30/40.

That would be a really effective combo in terms of money, usability and fun.

[guess who still misses his SR4.7 and is looking for a SR4...]
Old 16 May 2016, 18:15   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Yep, I owned one.

Completely, utterly rigid, as long as the floor was properly inflated.

It would plane easily with a 15hp, 4 stroke. With a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha 3 pot on the back it was very quick and seriously scary After trying a few engines, I thought the 2 stroke 25hp suited it best, unless we were wakeboarding.

Typical Futura handling, goes over, rather than through waves, loads of space inside and great quality. Mine was white, so not quite as quick as the red ones but at least the transom was still glued on. Loved the built in cleats and the bowbag was a good size and really handy.

No seats, but at speed the best place to be was sitting on the floor. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Old 16 May 2016, 18:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Yep, I owned one.

Completely, utterly rigid, as long as the floor was properly inflated.

It would plane easily with a 15hp, 4 stroke. With a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha 3 pot on the back it was very quick and seriously scary After trying a few engines, I thought the 2 stroke 25hp suited it best, unless we were wakeboarding.

Typical Futura handling, goes over, rather than through waves, loads of space inside and great quality. Mine was white, so not quite as quick as the red ones but at least the transom was still glued on. Loved the built in cleats and the bowbag was a good size and really handy.

No seats, but at speed the best place to be was sitting on the floor. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Nice! Looks like a short shaft transom, i thought the mk3 took a long shaft...

its food for thought. I dont have anywhere to store an actual rib on a trailer so this size sib would be ideal for me, but i have to consider the weight. it might be a fraction too much for me to haul up a slipway on my own, especially if i had a 25/30 on the back. but if we wanted to take a bunch of friends out for a trip then it'd be ideal.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Old style:
Pointy Tubes, Futura S (red) =
MK1, MK2C, MK2 = shortshaft (15")
MK3 = longshaft (20")

Pointy Tubes, Futura FR (white w/ "Fastroller" logos)
All shortshaft (15")

--------

New style
Truncated tube, Futura ALU / FR=
all longshaft
Old 16 May 2016, 19:11   #9

>>> it might be a fraction too much for me to haul up a slipway on my own, especially if i had a 25/30 on the back. but if we wanted to take a bunch of friends out for a trip then it'd be ideal.

So man maths decision... have them both to cover all occasions.
Old 16 May 2016, 19:13   #10

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post

its food for thought. I dont have anywhere to store an actual rib on a trailer so this size sib would be ideal for me, but i have to consider the weight. it might be a fraction too much for me to haul up a slipway on my own, especially if i had a 25/30 on the back. but if we wanted to take a bunch of friends out for a trip then it'd be ideal.
We occasionally used it without the trailer, but it was a pain, too heavy and awkward for 2 to carry uninflated, but fine with the genuine Zodiac transom wheels.

I honestly think its a bit big for what you want, what about a MK2C instead ?
Old 16 May 2016, 19:43   #11

Quote:
We occasionally used it without the trailer, but it was a pain, too heavy and awkward for 2 to carry uninflated, but fine with the genuine Zodiac transom wheels.

Possibly, to be honest I'm probably going to stick with the aerotec for now, decision made. Mine is 2006 so theres life in it and a lot more to see and do on it. When the inevitable happens and the transom starts unglueing, that will be decision time. Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht to sail off into the sunset but that is many boats and many years from now, barring a win on the lottery!
Old 16 May 2016, 19:48   #12

Quote:

Possibly, to be honest I'm probably going to stick with the aerotec for now, decision made. Mine is 2006 so theres life in it and a lot more to see and do on it. When the inevitable happens and the transom starts unglueing, that will be decision time. Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht to sail off into the sunset but that is many boats and many years from now, barring a win on the lottery!
Old 16 May 2016, 20:01   #13

>>> Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht

Larger craft are in my early years history with the family but I've never been skipper... however Mrs Fenlander somewhat over estimates my remembered abilities in that area and reckons we should do similar. A plodder of a 32-35ft with bilge keels and a good engine she reckons and she wants to do a pensioners circumnavigation of the UK over a year or two.

Brilliant to have a Mrs that would back such a move but surprisingly I think I'd enjoy more circumnavigating in short hops by road/holiday cottage with the SIB in the back.... but you never know.

Another thing I fancy which I might throw up as an alternative is to trailer a Drascombe Coaster or similar about.
Old 17 May 2016, 15:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
New style
Truncated tube, Futura ALU / FR=
all longshaft
Whoops, I made a mistake! The Futura MK2C is a shortshaft with the new style tubes.

MK2 + MK3 are longshaft.
Old 17 May 2016, 15:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht

Larger craft are in my early years history with the family but I've never been skipper... however Mrs Fenlander somewhat over estimates my remembered abilities in that area and reckons we should do similar. A plodder of a 32-35ft with bilge keels and a good engine she reckons and she wants to do a pensioners circumnavigation of the UK over a year or two.

Brilliant to have a Mrs that would back such a move but surprisingly I think I'd enjoy more circumnavigating in short hops by road/holiday cottage with the SIB in the back.... but you never know.

Another thing I fancy which I might throw up as an alternative is to trailer a Drascombe Coaster or similar about.
between us we've lived on boats almost as much as we've lived in houses. Bringing up a kid drove us onto dry land but we'll return to a life afloat at some stage.