Old 17 June 2017, 19:57   #1

Town: Tiptree
Boat name: Orville
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda bf6
Minimum HP to fight the tide.

Hello.

I'm a new one to all this. I've been saving up for a Honwave T-38 or T-40. I'm still undecided and I've read the numerous posts and pros and cons of each.

At the same time I've been saving up for a 20/25 hp outboard.

My intention is to take it out on coastal waters from the River Blabkwater in Essex. However my little boy said tonight "I don't think we'll ever have a boat" as I've been saving for about 2 years so far.

So to get me on the water I'm thinking of buying a boat and a smaller outboard.

Tohatsu do a 3.5hp for £600. Would this be enough to "fight the tide" of shall I go for a 6hp? Or carry on saving for a 20?

ATB.

Dan
Old 17 June 2017, 20:39   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Why not look for a used 15 or 9.9 to get you on the water you might need to stretch the budget a little or wait for the right one to turn up. There was a 15 sold on the forum here for £450 so they do crop up in budget
Look in the bits and pieces section and you will see the now sold engine the new owner just started a thread today about their first trip in their new honwave
Second hand doesn't always equal unreliable and the boat will be far better with something bigger than a 3.5
Old 17 June 2017, 20:48   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Totally, don't buy new and spend years saving. You can't buy the time back! Plenty of superb typical ideal SIB outfits around for £1500 or less, ie 3.4m boat and 9.8 or 15 engine. Check the SIBs on eBay topic for endless examples flagged up for sale.

Lots of SIBs are barely used and will soldier on for ages as will the simple 2 strokes.
Old 17 June 2017, 21:26   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
If you bide your time you may pick up a ready to play rig now for less than a new 25hp motor, then you can upgrade as deals come up if you have the cash to buy a quality set up used now and look after it you won't loose much in a couple of years of ownership but you'll gain loads of experience just have a look at the recent threads by Katie.harker who i a little over a month has gonne through what most people do in a couple of years.....
Old 17 June 2017, 21:45   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Dan,

Despite living in West Cambridgeshire our launch of choice for a day out is West Mersea then we spend a bit of time in the Brightlingsea - Maldon area waters. I wonder where you will launch from?

Knowing those waters even with modest wind they can have a short chop... in particular when the tide is running against the wind.

Our experience of that circumstance in that area with three different SIB types is if you are underpowered and can't plane... or at the very least power through at strong displacement speeds... is that you bash into the chop shipping loads of spray.

To give you an example we briefly used an Avon just over 3m with a 4hp and in truth it was hopeless stopping us going any distance and enough to put you off sibbing if it had been our first SIB.

So I'd go with the above advice... get started with a first outfit of 3.4m min and 15hp min so you can get out on the water and see how it all goes. Then it is easy to upgrade outboard and/or boat once you get a better idea of what you need.

Cheers,

David
Old 17 June 2017, 22:22   #6

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
If you what a speedy setup go for the 3.8 honwave if you have time I would get the T40 but get the 20 outboard you can also pick up cheap trailer
Old 17 June 2017, 22:37   #7

So Dan have you £1450 or thereabouts saved yet? If so you could be on the water with this within days...

Zodiac mark 1 inflatable sports boat | eBay

But if of interest do ask the age of the Zodiac and come back to us for advice as they can suffer glued seam issues as they age.
Old 18 June 2017, 05:42   #8

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I'm going to have a think about what to do next. Cheers.
Old 18 June 2017, 09:04   #9

Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Engine: outboard
Hi ducati
I bought a 3.8m hydro-force aluminium floor for £800 and a second hand 25hp suzuki 4 stroke £1500, but I build my trailer for the sib for not much, which gives you great fun and my son really enjoys it
Cheers kevin
Old 23 May 2022, 23:00   #10

I thought I’d resurrect this thread.

I’ve finally did it. I’ve bought myself a second hand Honwave T38 (with wheels) and a second hand Honda 6hp outboard.

I’m just waiting for a delivery of life jackets from a well known shop and the tide and weather to be favourable and I’ll be good to go.

My three kids are as excited as me and I’m going to recce slipways tomorrow. If we all love it as a family then after a year or so I might try to sell the 6 and get a 20, depending on finances….

Just a quick question to everyone, My 2nd hand Honda 6 came with a 22lL tank, this seems like massive overkill to me, so shall I ;

1. Sell it and just use the the outboard integral tank
2, Sell it and buy a 12L
3. Keep it as better to big than too small and it might one day be useful.

Cheers all,
Old 24 May 2022, 05:44   #11

You don't really want to be faffing with refilling an internal tank when you have three children on board to keep entertained. And I'd say, at this stage, live with the big tank. It owes you nothing and holds more fuel than you'll ever need. Just don't fill it. Chances are that 10l will be all you ever need.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:05   #12

I'd certainly keep to an external tank. Were the 6hp your final OB I'd say to reduce bulk get a 12l. However if you might upgrade to a 15/20 in the future then keep the 22l.

Have you a proposed test launch location?
Old 24 May 2022, 15:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I'd certainly keep to an external tank. Were the 6hp your final OB I'd say to reduce bulk get a 12l. However if you might upgrade to a 15/20 in the future then keep the 22l.

Have you a proposed test launch location?
Hopefully Maldon area this weekend.
Old 24 May 2022, 15:33   #14

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Definitely keep the tank, as others have already said. The built in tank won't get you too far (1.2 litres?), so you'll need to refuel on the water (not ideal) and bring another tank with you anyway! I doubt the 22l has a *that* much bigger footprint than the 12 anyway, and in general they want silly money for outboard fuel tanks so save your money.
In answer to your original question, yes you will beat the tide with that boat and a 6, so long as the tide is less than about 8 knots anyway. I ran a Tohatsu 6 on the same boat (newer version) last year and topped out at 8 knots with 2 80kg adults on board. At one point we almost started planing, coming down the front of a very wide, smooth swell. Tantalising, it was! But in general, it pottered around quite nicely at displacement speeds.
Old 24 June 2022, 19:32   #15

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Beware of you launch at the public slipway at Maldon promonade park you only get about an hour either side of high tide before it dries out
Old 24 June 2022, 21:35   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex View Post
Beware of you launch at the public slipway at Maldon promonade park you only get about an hour either side of high tide before it dries out
I’ve been out 4 times now but only within that two hour period. Anywhere else nearby I should consider?
Old 24 June 2022, 22:27   #17

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I think Fenlander mentioned West Mersea, I’ve done quite a few trips from there (on Fenlander’s recommendation). Plenty of places to go visit (and have chips/ice cream/beer)