Old 01 May 2013, 22:43   #1

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
Mid Wales sites for newbie

'Ow do people!
Got a 3.2honwave and 15 hp Yamaha 2stroke to start with. Been on Severn at shrewsbury, and fens and now want to try easy bit of sea. Thought Aberystwyth or Barmouth bank holiday Monday. I need something easy to try out as I have zilch nautical knowledge. Any info and advice where to go, what to take, who to tell, etc gratefully received. I go to Oban every summer, and want some experience to prepare me for sea lochs and the like.
Ps - dunno where the five metre plus came from in my profile, will have to change that when I find how!
Cheers
Old 01 May 2013, 23:26   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
The West Coast (Irish Sea) can get a bit naughty, so make sure the conditions are ok, before you make the jourrney. There's little shelter in the areas you're looking at, but in the right sea conditions, you could potter around and do a bit of coast hopping. Aberaeron to New Quay is a nice run and you could beach the SIB for lunch, etc.

Given your 'zilch nautical experience', you may want to run around on an estuary before venturing out on the Irish Sea. Milford Haven Waterway is a fantastic stretch of water and really good for SIBs

Plenty of threads on here which outline the safety equipment you should take with you.
Old 02 May 2013, 06:10   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
loads to do and see in reasonably sheltered waters round The Menai, I know it's not mid Wales, but not too far from Shrewsbury
Old 02 May 2013, 08:22   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
All as Dai says..... Barmouth for the Mawddach estuary is very pretty /worth an explore. LOTs of sandbanks so take a look at low water, but high water with a SIB =

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 21:32   #5

Town: Wrexham
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer View Post
'Ow do people!
Got a 3.2honwave and 15 hp Yamaha 2stroke to start with. Been on Severn at shrewsbury, and fens and now want to try easy bit of sea. Thought Aberystwyth or Barmouth bank holiday Monday. I need something easy to try out as I have zilch nautical knowledge. Any info and advice where to go, what to take, who to tell, etc gratefully received. I go to Oban every summer, and want some experience to prepare me for sea lochs and the like.
Ps - dunno where the five metre plus came from in my profile, will have to change that when I find how!
Cheers
Again, not mid-wales, but anglesey is stunning in the sun. Launch at trearddur bay and spend all day exploring the coves, lighthouse, there's even a pub on the beach!
Old 02 May 2013, 22:47   #6

Good advice

Thanks for this. I did wonder about the open coastal conditions, and had thought of estuaries to start with. Might begin with a play around Mawddach estuary. When you 'coast hop' how far out do you mean, a few hundred metres from shore, or is that more likely to get you grounded than keep you safe?
Ta once more
Old 03 May 2013, 07:37   #7

Town: Wrexham
Quote:
Thanks for this. I did wonder about the open coastal conditions, and had thought of estuaries to start with. Might begin with a play around Mawddach estuary. When you 'coast hop' how far out do you mean, a few hundred metres from shore, or is that more likely to get you grounded than keep you safe?
Ta once more
With that 15hp engine there's no reason why you can't be safely 1 or 2 miles from the coast if the sea is flat. Make sure you trust your engine, have an anchor for if it does fail, and either have a VHF radio or coastguard numbers on speed dial.

In the case of Anglesey there's no need to be more than 300 metres from the beach though really.
Old 03 May 2013, 08:45   #8

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I've been watching this thread for a while, but find my self getting quite uncomfortable about it.

Is the combined wisdom of this forum really suggesting that a newbie with ' zilch nautical knowledge' heads off into the deep blue sea in a 3m low powered sib ?

I dont believe in compulsory training but situations like this are a prime example of how we will end up with it.

Sorry, |I dont agree with the others, you need to get some basic sea time, either with another more experienced boater or a professional trainer. On a basic level you need to know what safety kit to carry and more importantly how to use it, you need to understand the area you are playing in, have a chart (or plotter) and know how to read it.

Treaddur bay has been suggested as a location, its fantastic, surely one of the top areas for Sibs in the North. But at 2 points of tide the bay looks like a wide open, smooth playground, however just under the surface are piles of rocks ready to rip a boat wide open.

My suggestion, till you get more experience, is head somewhere with less risks. Its a bit of a drive but what about the Lakes? Ullswater is free launching, no registration and relatively safe (the rocks are at least marked !), Windermere is a great day out or if you don't want to go that far the River Dee at Chester.

Good luck, have a great time where ever you go.
Old 03 May 2013, 09:55   #9

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
I agree with the above, but another way is to arrange to go out at the same time as another more experienced guy... Two boats that stay in contact and some local knowledge of the area will make it a fun safe day out...... 15hp makes this little boat capable, with more experience....

Lakes are OK but the speed limit stop the fun a bit... OP has done some fresh water and is now ready for the real fun to start..
Old 03 May 2013, 11:33   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
......Is the combined wisdom of this forum really suggesting that a newbie with ' zilch nautical knowledge' heads off into the deep blue sea in a 3m low powered sib ?....
No, most are recommending estuaries.
Old 04 May 2013, 14:36   #11

On balance

Thanks to all who have replied to this query. I did expect a range of opinions, and, being a grown up, I know I have to balance others suggestions with my own levels of risk taking. My sea experience is nil, but I have a little inland experience. I've been on the dee, the fens, Loch Lomond and a couple of sections of the Severn. I originally bought a small cabin cruiser and was due some rya training, until my mrs became I'll and I couldn't launch and recover alone. I thought a sib would be the most manageable fun for us. I've done my rya VHF licence and have a very good handheld, and am keen to try sheltered coastal waters. I think the best option for me, is to tag along with someone more experienced a couple of times as suggested. Any offers would be much appreciated. I've had my boat two years without getting it on the water at Oban, I'm determined this year to at least pootle about in loch Creran and craiginish, which look much more sheltered than the welsh coast (at least to the untrained eye!)
Thanks for the steers so far
Neil
Old 04 May 2013, 15:15   #12

Quote:
Thanks to all who have replied to this query. I did expect a range of opinions, and, being a grown up, I know I have to balance others suggestions with my own levels of risk taking. My sea experience is nil, but I have a little inland experience. I've been on the dee, the fens, Loch Lomond and a couple of sections of the Severn. I originally bought a small cabin cruiser and was due some rya training, until my mrs became I'll and I couldn't launch and recover alone. I thought a sib would be the most manageable fun for us. I've done my rya VHF licence and have a very good handheld, and am keen to try sheltered coastal waters. I think the best option for me, is to tag along with someone more experienced a couple of times as suggested. Any offers would be much appreciated. I've had my boat two years without getting it on the water at Oban, I'm determined this year to at least pootle about in loch Creran and craiginish, which look much more sheltered than the welsh coast (at least to the untrained eye!)
Thanks for the steers so far
Neil
Neil,
you are more than welcome to join us on a few trips around The Menai Straits, yes it can be a touch tricky in places, but there is plenty of opportunity for safe boating, for any size of rib, and if the water is calm there is also the chance to venture a little further to do a bit of exploring.
We've had a few trips to Loch Lomond and further north too, loads to see and do up there, but I'm not up to it at the minute, so Nth Wales coast does it for me
Cheers, Chris
Old 05 May 2013, 09:16   #13

Cheers chris, that's an offer I'd like to take up. How often do you get out on the water?
Neil
Old 05 May 2013, 10:11   #14

Quote:
Cheers chris, that's an offer I'd like to take up. How often do you get out on the water?
Neil
sounds good to me Neil
we try to get up there as often as possible, hopefully be there next weekend and should be there for the next bank holiday.
Imray do some good charts which are ideal for ribs, as they are "waterproof", so good for use on a open boat. OS maps are good too, they do a waterproof version as well so great for working out where you are and what your looking at
If you want to PM me when you are want to go, we'll try and fit in with you. The slip at Ty Calch, just Nth of Caernarfon is great, Chris will launch you and park your trailer up safely and also keep an eye on your motor to, all for £16 great cruising from there, if weather is a touch iffy there's always the Straits up to Beaumaris to explore, if weather is good then it's Caernarfon Bay, with loads of good beaches and a couple of good estuaries to explore, especially in a small rib, get much further than we can
Cheers, Chris