Old 13 July 2017, 21:29   #1
MCL

Town: Stamford
Length: 3m +
MCL's SIB

So after reading the forums I got my first SIB.

A major change for me and quite a lot of risk as i sold my beloved sailing boat to fund the purchase.Having just returned from a week at Dartmouth and Salcombe with SIB and campervan, myself and family are pleased with the portability and access to the water our new toy has given us.

So I spent £1450 and purchased a 2015 Zodiac Fastroller 325 and a 2012 Yamaha 8hp enduro 2 stroke outboard. I purchased a Bravo high pressure electric pump, transom wheels and a tiller extension arm separately. I had a handheld VHF, GPS, and small anchor kicking about in the garage. The outboard is obviously not the favoured engine for many on here. It is a grey import, the enduro series being marketed as...

"built to withstand everyday use and long hours of continuous operation. The enhanced strength of roller bearings, crankshaft and cylinder block, as well as ample cooling delivered by an improved water pump, combine to make the Enduro outboard renowned for durability and reliability."

not sure i buy into Yamaha's above statement but I thought it was a good deal for the price so I went for it.

After viewing another post recently on here regarding 8hp and SIB comb I can answer the question does it have enough power? - yes! ... for me.The reality is I come from a sailing back ground and my top speed was 4.5 maybe 5 knots. So when I got up onto the plane with myself, wife, dog and baby on board and the GPS showed 10 knots I was pleased.

A caveat though... this was with Goldilocks conditions, not a ripple on the water and not a breath of wind. With chop and a head wind we weren't able to plane. However my intended use is in calm estuaries which generally have speed restrictions. Maybe in time I will move upto the 15hp 2 stroke OB but not yet.

Any problems?
* the fuel line doesn't connect well with the fuel tank resulting the outboard cutting out until it is positioned correctly.

* I have to store the engine inside the campervan. I wanted to store it on my bike rack but as I can't lift the SIB onto the roof of the van that has taken the bike rack space.

* i can't find a service manual with the torque values anywhere for this engine.

So did I get a good deal on the boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0845.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	120713   Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0856.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	120714   Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0847.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	120715   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0160996.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	120716   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0110911.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	120717  

Old 13 July 2017, 22:43   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You bought it, got it home and then out on the water for some fun... so that is deal enough I'd say.

I've owned the 360 version of that Zodiac and it was very easy to set up and light to carry. It also went well for any given OB size.

I know nothing of that Enduro model except it appears to be based on a much earlier Yamaha design that was also sold as a Mariner... and they are usually seen in countries where maintenance might be an issue so I'd believe what Yamaha say about it.

Your experience getting an 8hp to plane is spot on... right load and conditions and it will work.

But as I said above the main thing is getting out with the family,... that's what it's all about.

Thanks for uploading the pics... always good to see.
Old 14 July 2017, 05:45   #3

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Looks excellent. Well done. Have fun.
Old 14 July 2017, 06:09   #4

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Totally agree with Fenlanders reply
I would be super happy with your outboard and personally I'm not sure that the tohatsu 9.8 2s would plain with 2 adults and a child in chop conditions (if that's the other post you are referring to)
You have a very eye catching package which I would say will suit you perfect
The bigger your outboard and sib you have means you can go out in choppy conditions if you like,but for me I choose a light weight set up and only go out when the sea state suits my sib, so I'm totally a goldilocks fan
Old 14 July 2017, 06:25   #5

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Looks like you got an excellent package and as other have said this is what it is about. Unlike other forms of boating I recon if you spend between £1500 - £2000 you can get your monies worth in 10 or so outings and you still have the kit. Well done

Dennis
Old 14 July 2017, 07:45   #6
MCL

Thanks for the comments. Indeed we are happy which is all that matters! I have noticed in my time sailing that the activity is only half of the appeal the other is the location. South Devon was a beautiful place to go for our first trip. Looking forward to taking the Sib to our annual pilgrimage to Europe.
Old 15 July 2017, 19:05   #7

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Hey MCL

I have a similar set up, just bought in January to toddle around the West of Scotland with the wife and two four year olds.

They love it, but the conditions have to be pretty good... We got caught out on Loch Lomond recently when the wind got up: the boat and the engine loved it but the kids weren't too happy!

Best to stick to perfect weather with the wee ones on board and keep pushing yourself in worse conditions to learn about handling etc. The Clyde at Dumbarton recently was a surprise for me: wind Vs tide = 3ft chop which was pretty unpleasant.

Every trip means more confidence and therefore safer adventures. Keep at it!Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	120754
Old 15 July 2017, 21:46   #8
MCL

We might be taking a trip to loch lomond via the lake district next month. Heard it's good for SIBs.
Old 15 July 2017, 22:23   #9

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL View Post
We might be taking a trip to loch lomond via the lake district next month. Heard it's good for SIBs.
Brilliant. Launch at Balloch and head north - the bit until the islands start is okay but the islands themselves are amazing. Drop me a line if you want advice.Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-26%2016.25.31.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	120757
Old 16 July 2017, 05:57   #10
MCL

Can't wait to check it out. The Photos look great!
Old 16 July 2017, 07:02   #11
MCL

The SIB looks good. How long have you had it and what did you get?

Tags
sib