Old 08 September 2018, 09:28   #1

Town: Pembrokeshire
Make: Avon EA16
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Mariner 3.3hp aux. - thoughts?

Hello all, new member introducing myself. I've been 'viewing' the forum for a little while now before joining.

I've got an early 90's Ex-rnli Avon EA16 D-class with original engine and many of the accessories.

I use my sib at sea, exploring the coast and messing about with the kids. There aren't always other boats around when I'm out so I run a Yamaha 4hp two stroke as an auxiliary. The 4hp takes up a bit of space on the transom and restricts my starboard turns a little (a sacrifice that I'm willing to make).

I keep seeing the mariner 3.3hp engines on ebay, usually for around £250 to £300. My question is, are they any good? Are they that much smaller than the 4hp that I'd notice the difference? Will is push the Avon as well as the 4hp? I assume they have no reverse gear?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 08 September 2018, 11:10   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Gurnard has one on his 4.2 m quicksilver forget what he gets out of it but I think around 5 knots so yes.
Old 20 September 2018, 20:40   #3

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHobbs View Post
I keep seeing the mariner 3.3hp engines on ebay, usually for around £250 to £300. My question is, are they any good? Are they that much smaller than the 4hp that I'd notice the difference? Will is push the Avon as well as the 4hp? I assume they have no reverse gear?

Thanks,

Richard
You see basically the the same outboard as johnsson, evinrude, tohatsu, mercury as the Marinen 3.3 . Hp range from 2.5 - 3.5. Power head all the same, small difference in carb between the HP. The leg is not always identical between different make and models. Yes, very economical, reliable engine. Good weight to power ratio. Kind of noisy.
Old 21 September 2018, 07:39   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I used to have a Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary, and the Mariner 3.3hp will be about the same, light-weight, narrow-width cowl, so perfect for tight space on the transom.

I now have a Mariner 4hp (2-stroke) on my current RIB and it has an extra little grunt but more importantly the outboard saddle is a little more robust. With all these engines they need to be tethered in the up position (with a ratchet strap to a stainless steel U bolt on the transom knee or to the floor) as the tilt brackets are pretty fragile, especially if you're navigating in a lumpy sea and the vibration and shocks you're likely to experience.

Regards reverse gear, I can't remember if the Tohatsu simply rotated around to give you reverse? You'll probably find you rarely need reverse, especially if you're having to deploy the auxilliary!

In my opinion, if you can live with the slight inconvenience of the Yamaha - it's a better engine, removing the cowl to access spark-plug, pull starter rope, maintenance.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:39   #5

Thanks fellas, it sounds like I'm best keeping with the 4hp.

If I ever use it in Milford Haven the tide can run at 4knots there on a spring tide. The extra grunt might keep me out of trouble for longer!

I've worked out the strapping up issue with these motors, I've been using a Thule quick-lock strap to a stainless eye on the transom.

This was my first season with the boat so I've been trying to work out the best ratio of kit / equipment against keeping the weight down and fun up. Those D-classes aren't the lightest of sib's!

Thanks again.

Richard
Old 25 September 2018, 09:48   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Welcome Richard, lots of us on here interested in the RNLI SIB's so please post some pics of your outfit.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:49   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello Richard a slightly belated welcome from me too. Like many sibbers I always look at the D-class with some envy as the ultimate rugged SIB. But as I've just mentioned in another thread these days we are all about the light weight and daily set up. Know what you mean about the kit needed vs weight. Most years I lay out all the stuff we carry to have a good prune of non-essentials... but usually put all of it back thinking one day that could come in really handy.

David
Old 25 September 2018, 10:46   #8

I've put both my towing truck and the D-class 'away' now for the winter.

I've got a few pictures of when I bought her though. She was on the reserve fleet from the early 1990's for about 10 years. She's got the original engine with inversion mods, genuine fuel bladders etc. I've added the aux. engine and a couple of other small bits.

My tow truck smokes a bit when pulling her but at her age, I'll forgive her that!

I hope the pictures work. Richard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	120686-108495.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	127010

Name:	120686-108500.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	127011

Name:	IMG_2499.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	127012
Old 25 September 2018, 11:01   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Rubber boats and old Landies - go together very nicely and again we all seem to share the love on here.
Old 26 September 2018, 21:38   #10

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Love the D class and any Land Rover, especially the older ones.