Old 09 May 2015, 21:46   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Making a SIB spray Cover

There is no doubt in my mind that one of the best DIY improvements I have made for my small SIBs are the home made spray covers. Without one ... even smallish waves tend to splash over the bow tubes, making it a wet ride. Everything has to be kept in waterproof bags which are in turn kept in plastic bins etc. But with a spray cover ..the worst of the waves and spray can be deflected over the side..back where it came from.. and the boat stays much drier. I have even had the bow well under water..when the SIB was pushed from behind by a large wave.. and the spray cover kept most of the water out the boat..although some did come in between the cover edge and boat.

Here is my smallest boat with its bright blue “cheap as chip”s tarpaulin spray cover.

My 4.3m SIB is a very dry boat compared to the small Avon.. however even it.. when the waves start breaking.. although the tubes are high enough to keep the waves out..

.. things up front can still get a bit damp from the spray flying in the air.

I have been meaning to make a spray cover for it for a while... but never got round to it... until now.

So I thought I would make it “on line” in case anyone else wants to try their hand at constructing one.

First I need a way to attach the rod that forms the ”bow” shape..to the boat. I decided the best way to do it for the Quicksilver SIB was to secure 10mm copper pipe end stops to the webbing that goes round the top of the tubes...and to hold the end stop in place with a scrap piece of nylon webbing.

Holding the nylon webbing (after melting its edges to stop fraying) against the SIB webbing...I used a dremel drill to make small stitching holes. The webbing was too tough to push a needle and thread through without the holes. A strong carpet thread soon secured the nylon webbing to the boat webbing in a little “pocket” shape.

The pocket was then filled with quick dry epoxy glue ..and the 10mm stop end pushed into the pocket. I also slabber’d epoxy glue over the carpet thread stitching to help stop rotting.

Once the glue had set... I inserted a length of 10mm nylon duct rod into the 10mm stop end. It is a good fit and under tension..wont slip out. The idea of the copper stop end was to hold the rod end secure to the SIB and not let it damage the tubes.

Once I stitched another stop end to the other side of the SIB.. the rod was cut to length so it forms a nice bow to hold the edge of the spray cover..(which I have still to make).. in place.

So far.. all has been easy to make... to be continued.....
Old 09 May 2015, 23:58   #2

I'm moist with curiosity!
Old 10 May 2015, 01:15   #3

Gurnard I've been scratching my rapidly greying head - also in the quest for a decent Sib spray guard.
There is lots of cheap curved perspex shower screens on the net for sale.
Thinking of buying one and chopping it down to suit.
Thereafter mount it to the front of my bow box.
Couple of bolts to clamp it in / release it.
I hate sewing!
It might work.
Likewise for the Seago - smaller one but mount something to the underside of the seat.
Again bolt on / off.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...BAY-GB&alt=web
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431220330223.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	105225   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431220463440.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	105226  
Old 10 May 2015, 01:29   #4

Looking at the Ebay 5 quid shower screen I posted - you could easily turn it horizontally (as depicted).
Utilise the aluminium hinged section to bolt it to the Sib bow box / seat.
Rather like a convertible race car windscreen.
That's my night shift brainstorming session expired.
Zzzzzzzzzz!
Old 10 May 2015, 15:53   #5

I will be interested to see what you come up with Kaman. Im sticking with my proven method..and using a tarpaulin. Its only for use when it gets a bit rough..so I want something that will roll up and be kept in the boat box..out of sight when not in use.

I got a 1.8m x 2.4m HD tarp from Halfords this morning for 8 squid..which is the total cost of my cover as I had the rest of the materials in my junk box.

I trimmed the edge with the metal eyes off the end of the tarpaulin..and with my old ma’s sewing machine put a new hem edge on. I left enough gap in the folded hem..to slip the rod though. This photo shows the rod inside the tarpaulin hem and stretched over the SIB. I may cut the rod a little shorter so its not so high a bow ?

I tried to peg the tarp out on the tube webbing ..but there is a gale force wind blowing at the moment..and although I got a rough cut to shape..I will have to wait for a calmer day..so I can cut the spray cover to a good shape..and put in a hem or two to keep the shape taught..but you get the idea.

Hey ..it could also be the start of a SIB tent..so I can sleep on board in the calm nights..

I sure miss my wee cuddy boat..I slept on it quite often. Im missing the views from the mooring too. I hope the weather improves soon ..so I can get back there .

Why sleep on the boat instead of the tent ? Scottish midges cant swim..so they don’t find me fifty yards off shore. But they can eat me alive in a tent..if its not closed properly. Besides..I like being rocked to sleep on a calm summers night

Old 10 May 2015, 16:19   #6

Length: 3m +
What do you do with the tent pole when not running with dodger up? Would a fibreglass tent pole with elastic up the middle be a better solution?
Old 10 May 2015, 16:36   #7

Nice one Gurnard.
I like the look of that set up.
Not too much sewing involved eithers.
I have a friend who owns a Plastic / Recycling business I will see what he has lying around.
I might borrow the mother in laws Singer sewing tho and copy your design.
I have an old dome tent so might use the carbon fiber poles from that.
Was thinking I could arrange something to the seat to house the carbon pole if I go down that route.
Keep up the good work!
Old 10 May 2015, 16:37   #8

Hi ShinyShoe..yup..a tent pole would probably do....but I find them a bit "stiff". The rod I use is quite flexible ..its used by electricians to cable underfloor ducts etc. I snaffled around 50 meters off a broken one went I left work. Once I have the cover made..I cut the rod in the middle..then slip a short length of 10mm copper pipe over one end..gluing it on. The other end slips into the non glued end..just like a tent pole.

Once ithe cover is cut and shaped..I will also add a couple of stays to the rod..in case a strong wind from the rear blows it away. I like flexability ..so if a heave wave does crash onto the cover..it will collaspe and not damage anything.

Hope that makes sense
Old 10 May 2015, 16:46   #9

This is the seago one I made..you may be able to see the joiner in the rods. I spit it in two and roll the tarp round the rod..doesnt take up much space

And the tarp on the seago sib..note the two stays to stop it being flattened by a wind from behind.

Old 11 May 2015, 14:54   #10

Its still blowing a gale outside..but I braved the elements to finish stitching up the spray cover. It needed a couple of “dart” seams to form a reasonable shape to the cover. I have attached it to the SIB with some tapes I cut from the tarpaulin. The tapes thread though the existing eyes in the tube webbing and a quick knot secures the spray cover in place.

Its not the prettiest of things..but neither am I.. so as long as it does what I intend..Im not bothered. A red or black Tarp would look nicer though. When its off..the only blemish on the SIB is two little copper stop ends.

On the water and from a distance..Im sure it will look fine..it wont have leads from number plate boards and other misc ropes etc hanging out it then.

And Im certain any front passengers will appreciate the shelter from wind and spray that it will undoubtedly provide. All for cost of 8 squids too.

Thats it for now guys..not a hard thing to do..as long as you know someone with a sewing machine.
Old 11 May 2015, 15:36   #11

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Looks fantastic! I am missing the bow dodger from my old avon, it worked so well, but then it sat so low in the water it needed it!

Might have to have a look at how I can give this a go!
Old 11 May 2015, 15:51   #12

Nice one Gurnard!
I like that a lot.
I'm now leaning heavily towards plagiarising your design over my initial perspex screen idea.
I can see that the spray hood is going to catch a lot more spray
than a screen.
I'm thinking of screwing 2 small wooden blocks to the seat - drilling a vertical hole into the wooden block.
Using this to house an old dome tent carbon fibre pole. Thereafter more or less a copy your design.
Might use the tent material itself or chop up a piece of tarp.
Hand sewing can be quite therapeutic if the material lends itself to passing a needle thru it.
Recently sewed a motorbike bag which was tough as old boots - my fingers were peppered with needle pricks.
Not fun at all.
The mother in laws sewing machine will be getting borrowed very soon I think.
Old 11 May 2015, 16:17   #13

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I'm thinking of screwing 2 small wooden blocks to the seat - drilling a vertical hole into the wooden block.
Using this to house an old dome tent carbon fibre pole.
The problem that you might have with that is any water caught by the fabric would be directed into the boat, where the poles are, unless you're going to tie the bottom of the fabric to the side of the boat somehow?
Old 11 May 2015, 16:50   #14

Hi again guys.. yup..Blootac is correct..keep the tarp over the outside edge of the boat. If the boat nose dives into a wave.. water can still come under the gap..but its a lot less than if you didn’t have one. Spray is all deflected and runs back into the sea.

Each SIB is a challenge on how to fix it.. here is how the seago pole is held in place. I carefully drilled a hole into the existing fitting that the side ropes were attached too. The rod fits in it. I use a thinner rod..only 5mm diameter..and because everything is under tension..the end has never once come out..even when the nose is under a large wave.

I also used the existing D rings to tie the cover on..and they work a treat too. It makes a big difference to the seago..and it can go out in bigger waves than without the cover..without filling with water.

Kaman..if you can hold off a week or two..I will give you some lengths of pole at the SIB outing. Hope that helps inspire a few variations. I didnt want anything solid either..if a huge breaker hits mine..it will just collapse..then spring back up when the weight of water is off. Something solid like a shower guard ..may shatter or cause damage.
Old 11 May 2015, 19:48   #15

Hi Gurnard and Blootac.
Yep going to have the cover out over the top of the tube to shed water outside the sib.
Going to attach it to the eyelets around the top of the tubes.
The tent I'm planning to chop up for the project is basic all a kids play tent which has very flimsy poles.
They might be suitable for the job but if not I will definitely take you up on your kind offer Gurnard.
Will post up some pics in coming weeks when I get around to making a cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1431373355818.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	105295   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431373466561.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	105296  
Old 11 May 2015, 19:54   #16

Meant to add - you can see the carry handles on the outside edge of the Honwave tube have very handy looking holes in them.
I may well utilise these handles instead of the seat to anchor the pole for the spray guard onto the Sib.
Gurnard - as for my Seago there isn't as many options to anchor a spray guard down.
It's more of a challenge.
I see in your pics you have utilised the bow rings.
I can't see any other options without glueing parts onto the tubes.
So again I think mines will be very similar to yours when finished .
Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 11 May 2015, 20:42   #17

Had another look at the Honwave front grab handle and they look absolutely spot on for housing the spray guard pole.
Why don't manufacturers make / supply spray guards???
I know dome of the old Avons had them but 99% of Sibs don't have any fixings to add one.
Hey ho it will keep me busy for a while - out of her indoors way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1431376902042.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	105307  
Old 20 May 2015, 15:07   #18

Had a spare hour before work today so blew up the Seago and commenced spray cover project.
Cut some wooden blocks and mounted them to the seat to use as mounts for the arch of tge cover.
Next chopped up an old tent utilising the ground sheet for the cover itself and the poles for the arch.
Roughly pegged it out marked where it needs sewing.
Will cut it and sew it in the coming weeks once I borrow the monster in laws Singer sewing machine.
Old 20 May 2015, 15:13   #19

A few pics of project thus far........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1432134756618.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	105491   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432134773816.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	105492   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432134792589.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	105493  
Old 20 May 2015, 21:00   #20

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 50hp EFI
Most sibs have a hooked lip on the rubbing strake that lends itself very handy to use these plastic hooks sold on ebay

Name:	20150520_210600[1].jpg
Views:	570
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	105500Click image for larger version

Name:	20150520_210835[1].jpg
Views:	500
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	105501
You can loop through some bungee cord onto some eyelets or do individual fixings such as this canopy

Name:	F-rib canopy-bow.jpg
Views:	3137
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	105502
and when you've mastered your sowing skills go the whole hog

Name:	F-rib full-canopy-330-360-and-375-only.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	105503
Happy boating and sewing guys