There is no doubt in my mind that one of the best DIY improvements I have made for my small SIBs are the home made spray covers. Without one ... even smallish waves tend to splash over the bow tubes, making it a wet ride. Everything has to be kept in waterproof bags which are in turn kept in plastic bins etc. But with a spray cover ..the worst of the waves and spray can be deflected over the side..back where it came from.. and the boat stays much drier. I have even had the bow well under water..when the SIB was pushed from behind by a large wave.. and the spray cover kept most of the water out the boat..although some did come in between the cover edge and boat.
Here is my smallest boat with its bright blue “cheap as chip”s tarpaulin spray cover.
My 4.3m SIB is a very dry boat compared to the small Avon.. however even it.. when the waves start breaking.. although the tubes are high enough to keep the waves out..
.. things up front can still get a bit damp from the spray flying in the air.
I have been meaning to make a spray cover for it for a while... but never got round to it... until now.
So I thought I would make it “on line” in case anyone else wants to try their hand at constructing one.
First I need a way to attach the rod that forms the ”bow” shape..to the boat. I decided the best way to do it for the Quicksilver SIB was to secure 10mm copper pipe end stops to the webbing that goes round the top of the tubes...and to hold the end stop in place with a scrap piece of nylon webbing.
Holding the nylon webbing (after melting its edges to stop fraying) against the SIB webbing...I used a dremel drill to make small stitching holes. The webbing was too tough to push a needle and thread through without the holes. A strong carpet thread soon secured the nylon webbing to the boat webbing in a little “pocket” shape.
The pocket was then filled with quick dry epoxy glue ..and the 10mm stop end pushed into the pocket. I also slabber’d epoxy glue over the carpet thread stitching to help stop rotting.
Once the glue had set... I inserted a length of 10mm nylon duct rod into the 10mm stop end. It is a good fit and under tension..wont slip out. The idea of the copper stop end was to hold the rod end secure to the SIB and not let it damage the tubes.
Once I stitched another stop end to the other side of the SIB.. the rod was cut to length so it forms a nice bow to hold the edge of the spray cover..(which I have still to make).. in place.
So far.. all has been easy to make... to be continued.....