Town: Melbourne
Boat name: Duck Tales
Make: Avon S400
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Tohatsu
Maintenance

hi all,

just had a couple of questions.

*1 firstly, does anyone get a heap of sand in the bottom of their sib? right under the floor and under the rails i seem to be collecting a heap of sand. i do beach launches occasionally and the sib copes a wave sometimes before i scoot out of the breakers, i assume that is where its coming from. is there a trick or technique that you guys use to avoid this? or will i have to pull the thing apart after use and get all the sand out manually each time?

*2 under the inflatable keel it doesnt seem to dry very well. i leave my sib on a trailer and hose it off at the next of the day. surely i dont have to pull it apart after every use and hold the keel up to dry.

cheers
Old 08 August 2009, 19:00   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
hi all,

just had a couple of questions.

*1 firstly, does anyone get a heap of sand in the bottom of their sib? right under the floor and under the rails i seem to be collecting a heap of sand. i do beach launches occasionally and the sib copes a wave sometimes before i scoot out of the breakers, i assume that is where its coming from. is there a trick or technique that you guys use to avoid this? or will i have to pull the thing apart after use and get all the sand out manually each time?

*2 under the inflatable keel it doesnt seem to dry very well. i leave my sib on a trailer and hose it off at the next of the day. surely i dont have to pull it apart after every use and hold the keel up to dry.

cheers
Hi

It's normal to start collecting sand, debris, hairs, etc, with long use, nothing can be done to avoid this problem. If you have your sib without engine on transom place sib against a wall in vertical position and water flush with good water pressure, take drain plug off to sort water out, water remainings will need to be dried out using a sponge, if your transom floor has a big U cut where you can see floor fabric, the better.

Or place sib sideways against a wall and flush/rinse properly, once water starts cascading over tube, turn over to evacuate most sand collected on lateral tube joiner, flush again in upside position if still needed. No problem to have tap water mositure under floors, will dry alone.

How is your sib/engine configuration performing ?

Happy Sibbing
Old 09 August 2009, 10:22   #3

the outboard is okay, enough 'giddy-up' to move along with one person or 2 at most. however, i would prefer a bit more top speed. hoping to start exploring some islands off shore this coming season. may be a bit ambitious for a 3.4m with an 18hp, but i'll pick my days take plenty of fuel.

thanks for the reply.

ps why isnt there a SIB gallery? the RIB's are nice but arent as interesting to me as peoples SIBS.
Old 09 August 2009, 14:14   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
ps why isnt there a SIB gallery? the RIB's are nice but arent as interesting to me as peoples SIBS.
You'll be welcome to post your SIB pics in any of the RIB gallery threads - the rigid hull owners aren't pretentious about it at all. If you want to encourage lots of people to post their SIBS - then you could start a new "Lets see your SIB..." thread in the gallery...
Old 09 August 2009, 18:36   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You'll be welcome to post your SIB pics in any of the RIB gallery threads - the rigid hull owners aren't pretentious about it at all. If you want to encourage lots of people to post their SIBS - then you could start a new "Lets see your SIB..." thread in the gallery...
There has been a POST A PIC OF YOUR SIB ,ON HERE,ILL SEE IF I CAN FIND IT,,,found it it
Old 09 August 2009, 21:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
duly noted,

i am pretty sure i posted a pic of my sib already some time back. i guess i was just hoping to be lazy and see all the sib in one gallery/thread.

i did a search and came up with a heap of threads just none dedicated to just sib pics.