Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2018, 16:57   #21

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
That’s a great post. You did manage to hit many highlights (lowlights?) I think we have all experienced. I have multiple checklists I keep on the iPhone for diving, fishing, etc. I have a bigger boat, not a sib, so over the years I have managed to stock it and organize it so everything is contained in its place as much as possible.

It sounds like you’ll do just fine in the future as you define we’re paying attention to the details.

Happy boating,
Jason
Old 27 July 2018, 20:45   #22

Town: Reading
Boat name: JALSA
Make: Honwave T32IE2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF6
Guys,

Can I ask couple of quick questions?

1. How do you indicate to other boats in a river that your boat has broken down (not necessarily a distress call but rather a suggestion to others to go around/bypass you). More like the car dashboard warning lights.

2. Has anyone used River and Canal Rescue? I was recommended this facility but their non-member call out fee seemed outrageously (maybe justifiably) high and chose not to call them. Their member fees look reasonably priced.

Thanks!
Old 28 July 2018, 20:57   #23

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Depending on the severity of the problem, you could fly code flags M D F or V
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...e_signal_flags

Alternatively, face the approaching boat and wave both arms together and apart slowly above your head. Or, on a river, shout, "Keep clear, we've conked out."
Old 27 August 2018, 18:00   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
MysticPuzzle I know it's only a month since this maiden voyage prompting one of the best posts re SIB experience but I've been eagerly anticipating the next trip report... but I see you're selling loads of gear. Are you moving onwards and upwards already?
Old 27 August 2018, 20:07   #25

Hi Fenlander,

Sorry, been juggling between a few business travels and other priorities and didn't get time to update.

I have been on couple of follow-up voyages and with due planning and command over the crew, managed to end up with event-less and smooth journeys, one of which was 8 hours long (of course with couple of breaks).

The SIB introduced me to this wonderful field of boating but, as you guessed, it posed some challenges which I could not resolve, albeit I tried. Some of which are:

- Living in Reading, my boating is mainly on Thames non-tidal part and if you know this area, you would also realize that the next Lock is less than 20 minutes away. And there are loads of them. Dealing with Locks with inexperienced crew posed its own challenges and situations which were quite stressful to deal with. I have had some close encounters in the lock which I prefer not to re-live. Having dealt with Locks in a 9m RIB in this area, I do see that a 3.2m is a lot difficult to control (wind, river flow etc.) with engine turned off as opposed to a vessel with larger surface area and weight.

- I generally do like DIY stuff and have never shy'ed away from physical labour. But the mental and physical energy spent in planning, packing, set-up, dismantle of the whole vessel was just getting a bit too much for me. Being reasonably young in boating years (I am 37 y o), getting on water is a way for me to beat work and other stress. I reached a point where thinking of boating started putting me under stress.

- "Her Indoors" did not like the idea of getting onboard which meant most trips alone or with friends. Some may say this is brilliant but the aftermaths are not favorable.

- I am not very rich or posh but I just couldn't manage the discomfort of sitting on the tube for 6-8 hours, the scorching sun (lack of bimini), cramped legs, and most of all strained neck and back.

- The last but most important concern was that I was not able to take my young son out with me as I could not imagine looking after him while dealing with locks, trying to find a mooring, and keeping control of the tiller all the time. One time I left the tiller at 4m/hr, the OB flopped and threw us on a quick swirl tactfully brought under control by me. Can't imagine that with a less than 2 y o boy.

I have not given up boating though. Plan is to move on to a day-boat/Sloop with permanent mooring next year. Some of the above challenges will still remain but aiming for some training for my wife to be a competent crew member.

I am a reasonable perfectionist and have OCD and take pride in maintaining everything I own to its perfect condition as a result of which I have managed to sell quite a few of the items I own within a short period of time. I may go back to a RIB in the later future when I don't have to take passengers onboard but you never know.

Still aiming to lurk around here and reading all the interesting posts, especially the detailed and helpful ones by you. You are surely an asset to this forum as well as hundreds of newbies like me. Keep it up!
Old 27 August 2018, 21:35   #26

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Very sad to hear MP in my opinion you have probably picked the worst scenario to start boating with the river locks and a crew not up to speed and indeed your son is very young and needs constant attention you would have been far better taking the boat on holiday find a marina stick it in for the week and go from there until the learning curve makes life easier hope you get boating again soon
Old 27 August 2018, 21:46   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Very sad to hear MP in my opinion you have probably picked the worst scenario to start boating with the river locks and a crew not up to speed and indeed your son is very young and needs constant attention you would have been far better taking the boat on holiday find a marina stick it in for the week and go from there until the learning curve makes life easier hope you get boating again soon

Jeff, on the contrary, I think I have made the best start. I was obnoxious to the boating world and a SIB helped me understand the nuances, at the same time being a lot cheaper than buying a cabin cruiser. I am also not in favor of renting holiday cruisers as having spent a couple of months boating now, I am astonished by the fact how these holiday rentals are willing to let their boats on and about to people with absolutely no experience. Can't comment much as I am almost an inexperience boater as well.

RIBs and SIBs have their own flavour which is best tasted in an open water field which I intend to do at some point. I do have my eye on couple of RIBs for future use and I do strongly hope I get back to this brilliant art.

The SIB has been a learning experience and I have no regrets but rather interesting memories.
Old 27 August 2018, 22:31   #28

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well another great post... even if with a different slant.

Yep sad to a degree but what I call "whole life" needs have to be met and perhaps this isn't the time and/or boating type for you.

My younger and midlife boating experience (from about 4yrs onwards) was with parents in 2&4 berth day/overnight sailing boats, river cruisers, narrowboats, seagoing motor/sailers etc. I know mum would not have set foot in a SIB particularly when I was very young... she even hated the short dinghy ride ashore from a mooring. But something where you could shelter, get warm, cook and sleep kept her on board with the whole idea and just allowed dad to get away with the expenditure.

Now later in life for me sibbing fits my need to get on the water and I have several advantages over your circumstance... Mrs F actually enjoys the whole experience and is fearless... our girls are in their 20s so can either come out with us and be some real help... or stay at home and leave us to it. Also I'm early retired so if we get the boat filthy on a sunday I have no work competing for the need to re-assemble in the garden and clean it all on monday.

I fully agree re rivers and locks. We use the river very little with the SIB and I just turn round at the locks as they are too much faff. Totally different to a cruiser where they are less threatening and an excuse for the cabin boy/girl to put the kettle on.