Old 09 April 2017, 18:57   #1

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Maiden Voyage !

Had a great maiden voyage in our Honwave 3.8 today on the Ouse. Parked and launched from Hartford Marina. A bit expensive at £10 for using the slipway and £5 for car/trailer parking, but as it was our first time and we know this marina well, we thought it the safest option. I also forgot the hitch lock and chain so wanted the extra security of it being overlooked by the chandlery staff all afternoon. Turned left and went down to Houghton Mill Lock, then the opposite direction through Huntingdon, Godmanchester and onto to Brampton Mill for lunch. No dramas really although we had to rely on the goodwill of others at locks because we didn’t have a key and windlass with us. Something we will def. fix for the next outing and as ex-narrowboaters, we should have known better. The small Suzuki 6hp seemed to go pretty well, although the exhaust dried up at one point. Not sure if some weed or other debris clogged up the intake but a quick squirt in reverse seemed to fix it. Managed to run out of petrol on the way back but we had taken a reserve can with us. Floated around at the mercy of the wind and current for a few minutes and it seemed to take forever to pull it through but we got going in the end and made it back to the Marina with no more novice errors. My co-pilot forgot to attach her side of the trailer lights on properly and as a result, we dragged it about a mile up the A141 on the way home. So, apart from a new light cluster required for the trailer, a very successful, enjoyable and sunburnt maiden voyage. It bodes well for a good summer full of sibbing. Many thanks to Fenlander for all the expert advice ! (couple of photo around Godmanchester bridge hopefully attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	118901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	118902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	118903  
Old 09 April 2017, 19:31   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Good to hear you got out today Pete and good to see the images too even if they have given me a neck crick! We had a busy weekend with family stuff but by chance I was sitting by the river at St Ives for a while this morning rather envying those out on the water. Perfect day for it. Frustrating for us as we'd planned to launch from the coast this week but can't go until Wed which is supposed to be 10deg cooler and a possible force 6... which means it's not worth travelling only to find it's too rough to venture far.

Once you get everything organised launching from the Huntingdon riverside park is always free for the slip and free car/trailer parking on Sundays. Personally I'd be happy leaving a trailer there chained to the car.

Weed and plastic bags etc can be a real problem on the river blocking intakes... I constantly look back to check the tell tale.
Old 09 April 2017, 19:32   #3

Town: TEIGNMOUTH
Boat name: Little Nelly
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25HP
Well done. Sounds like a great day out!
Old 09 April 2017, 19:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
good to see the images too even if they have given me a neck crick!
Once you get everything organised launching from the Huntingdon riverside park is always free for the slip and free car/trailer parking on Sundays. Personally I'd be happy leaving a trailer there chained to the car.

Weed and plastic bags etc can be a real problem on the river blocking intakes... I constantly look back to check the tell tale.
Yep, sorry about the photo's, not sure what happened but they were the right way up in my photo's folder when I selected them to upload ?? We were going to launch at Riverside, but a travelling fair is set up in the car park so I gave it a swerve for our first time. Shame about your plan for this week. Now we've had a run out,...we're definitely going to give Mersea a try next time the forecast is good.
Old 09 April 2017, 20:39   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh yes had forgotten about the fair. I get that too with phone pics which randomly misbehave.
Old 11 April 2017, 08:05   #6

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
Nice one Pete, looks and sounds like a great little first trip. My Honwave T40 had her maiden voyage on the river at St Ives a couple of weeks back. Jones Boat Yard is a nice place to launch and like you safe for the car and trailer. Would love a threesome with you and Fenlander either there on the Ouse or at Mersea!
Old 11 April 2017, 18:38   #7

Hi Cliff. Yes, a good first outing thanks. Just enough happened to learn a few lessons for next time, without anything major going wrong. Happy to go out on the Ouse or anywhere else really at anytime. We're probably going to invest in a bigger motor too though before we go too far from the beach !
Old 11 April 2017, 19:35   #8

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
Hi Cliff. Yes, a good first outing thanks. Just enough happened to learn a few lessons for next time, without anything major going wrong. Happy to go out on the Ouse or anywhere else really at anytime. We're probably going to invest in a bigger motor too though before we go too far from the beach !
Hi Pete, sounds like a plan, I've got a Tohatsu 18 four stroke on mine and it goes ok. Not the fastest but more than adequate. I'd be happy to meet you one Sunday on the Ouse for a mini adventure. Just send me a message and we'll meet up.