Old 26 May 2017, 12:36   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Lundy this Monday

Weather looks fine for my first sib outing to lundy this year. Also with the long days its one of those rare occasions when two high tides fall within daylight hours so we'll be able to stay longer on the island. If anyone with a decent sib setup and vhf fancies joining us then reply or pm me. Dep. Appledore 9am, return 8pm.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:48   #2

Well we ended up going yesterday. Conditions on the way out were different to what I've experienced, there was a big clean swell running so we spent over an hour climbing swells then surfing down the back of them. 25miles covered. On the way back however most of the journey was in pounding chop running opposite to the swell so the journey took nearly 3 hours of bone jarring unpleasantness. Heavy rain showers reduced the visibility so much I was completely relying on gps. Luckily by the time we reached bideford bar the weather and chop cleared but with it not being high water we had a difficult entry through the channel with big breaking waves either side of us. As it happened most of the boats in the bay were desperate to get back in but unsure of the bar, so as soon as we started across it a mini flotilla of boats large and small followed us in.

I think we probably covered just shy of 50 miles yesterday. The route home was much longer than planned as I decided to head about 5 miles into the chop so we could get a more down weather approach to the bar. No photos unfortunately, even passengers were unable to hold a camera steady enough! Heres one of lundy though.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:48   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_144006.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	119707
Old 29 May 2017, 12:04   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Glad you made it there and back! I was out further up the channel yesterday evening and it was mixed bag of chop, mill pond and rain squalls
Old 29 May 2017, 12:14   #5

Yeah, was a funny old mix. First 10 miles was horrible followed by calm followed by horrible ending with millpond
Old 29 May 2017, 13:39   #6

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Glad that all safe and sound, did the forecasts give you a different version of what you experienced?

I was out in a small North Sea chop yesterday and the slamming felt like my fillings would work loose, not pleasant so had to back off. Meant I couldn't go to where I'd planned as displacement speed would take too long but no bother I could potter off somewhere else... Your situation sounds much more serious like you had to get back before conditions worsened? Well done on making it!
Old 29 May 2017, 13:52   #7

... there was a chance of thunderstorms a little later on and I really didn't want to get caught in that. The forecast wasn't perfect but ok ish. I think the main cause of the terrible chop on the way home was a large spring flood tide against a strengthening easterly. I reckon the millpond towards the end was the wind shadow of exmoor etc.

What I'm learning is that there are so many variables here in terms of what conditions I'll encounter. It was good to have company aboard yesterday as it took my mind off the distance involved! I was pleasantly surprised, yet again, at how rock solid and safe the aerotec is and also how little fuel the mariner 15 drank - 35 litres to cover 50 miles with 3 people on board. Not bad.
Old 29 May 2017, 17:36   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
at how rock solid and safe the aerotec is and also how little fuel the mariner 15 drank - 35 litres to cover 50 miles with 3 people on board. Not bad.
That's pretty good is it a 2 banger?

The conditions you go out in are often not what you come back in..... forecasts can get it wrong. Out of interest how much fuel do you take on trip like that? 50l?
Old 29 May 2017, 19:14   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well done Simon... impressive in a SIB. I've only been that far in those sort of conditions in larger craft with somewhere to lie down or make a cup of tea (and I don't mean a ferry).
Old 29 May 2017, 21:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
That's pretty good is it a 2 banger?

The conditions you go out in are often not what you come back in..... forecasts can get it wrong. Out of interest how much fuel do you take on trip like that? 50l?
Yeah its a 2 stroke, for this trip I took 45 litres, 25 in the tank and 4no. 5 litre jerrycans roped to the sides