Old 18 August 2010, 16:43   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97t-bird View Post
My father is constantly telling me I am wasting my money on a blow up boat and trying to convince me to get the 26ft sonic or a 23ft center console. Anyone got any pointers or advice to help me convince him the futura is worth it...
Yeah: Fill em both up with water, then see which one you can still get to move.

A 26 or 23 foot hardboat is a different critter than a 16 to 18 foot inflatable though. For one thing, if you don't have a fairly big tow vehicle, you're not going to get too far with the hardboats.

I'd guess you could pull the inflatable, fully rigged, with a 4-cylinder pickup or so.

jky

Old 18 August 2010, 17:26   #12

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Quote:
"For heavier duty applications, Zodiac's military/professional division has some nifty jockey seat/console set ups"
....but how much extra are they, Prairie?

and out of interest, have you got a current price list for all of the Milpro models? I can't find anything on the net. Very tasty indeed.

Cheers

Wayne

http://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 21:47   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
....but how much extra are they, Prairie?

Oooooh don't ask! I know they want outrageous prices for their military accessories I enquired about that quickmount outboard bracket once and it was ridiculous. I don't know if they actually publish prices, I think you have to enquire by phone (they probably want to ensure that the person on the other end of the phone is still breathing when they quote a price).

Having said that, those images should provide some cool ideas. And a good aluminum fabricator should be able to make something similar up for a fraction of what zodiac wants if you provide him with the plans.

What I've got in mind for my seating system an open aluminum framed jockey seat (with a side hinged seat cushion) that will cradle my polyethylene military jerry cans. A simple tubular loop handhold up front and tiller operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1056sm.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	53545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum framed Jerry cradle - jockey seat.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	53546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum framed Jerry cradle - jockey seatII.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	53547  
Old 18 August 2010, 23:15   #14

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Yeah: Fill em both up with water, then see which one you can still get to move.

A 26 or 23 foot hardboat is a different critter than a 16 to 18 foot inflatable though. For one thing, if you don't have a fairly big tow vehicle, you're not going to get too far with the hardboats.

I'd guess you could pull the inflatable, fully rigged, with a 4-cylinder pickup or so.

jky
True on filling them up with water, Towing is not going to be a problem as we have a Ford 250 with the v10 and 4:10 gears which would make towing the 26ft Sonic like its not even there let alone an inflatable lol.

How about the puncture resistance how easy is it really going to be to puncture one of these tubes on the pvc futura? I had a small 1994 10ft zodiac and never had a problem but was always super cautious, and what would happen if a puncture happened when I was a bit out from the shore?
Old 18 August 2010, 23:40   #15

Quote:

How about the puncture resistance how easy is it really going to be to puncture one of these tubes on the pvc futura? I had a small 1994 10ft zodiac and never had a problem but was always super cautious, and what would happen if a puncture happened when I was a bit out from the shore?
I don't think you have to worry much about fish hooks or bouncing off some rocks puncturing the PVC tubes. On the other hand, messing about with knives/broadheads/gaffs while in the boat would be pushing your luck. Even if one chamber did ger punctured, there are several others that would provide all sorts of bouyancy. I've completely swamped my boat while some large rapids, and the boat was still totally stable even when filled with water.
Old 19 August 2010, 10:38   #16

Length: no boat
Ok great thats what I was thinking, if I was going to be cutting bait I would not be using a very pointed knife anyway........What kind of conditions could this Futura mark III handle as far as chop comfortably on plane like maybe 1ft seas etc....?

Thanks for your help its really encouraging to purchase this and 15,000 us for the whole package doesn't seem that bad.
Old 19 August 2010, 10:57   #17

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
It really comes down to what you want to do. I have a mk2 Futura. It is an older boat and I have had to put some work into it. It gets great gas mileage, it is easy to tow, I can launch without a ramp on all sorts of beach types, the inflatable is amazingly stable for it's size, it can handle large surf and it cruised home with one big hole in a tube with no problem.

That stability thing is huge. Try fishing in a smaller hard hull with four people. You really have to watch your weight distribution! Everyone can stand on one side of the Futura and we aren't pitching anyone out. Yes, You can puncture the tubes with fish hooks. I'm always telling my crew "Don't F'n hook the boat!" It has only happened once.

No jockey seating for me. I want to be comfortable when I'm poaching concerts on the Bay, fishing or watching my buddies surf.

The inflatable is nimble and handles in and around surf. Some of the places I go would not be accessible to many hard hulled vessels. I have had my Futura swamped and it floated nicely until the drains could clear the boat. That Zodiac sure does handle some abuse.

I found that I go out more now that I have access to the Futura. It's just so easy to grab a couple of gallons of gas and hit the water. However, I am seriously looking at a 21 foot ski boat for hydrofoiling and I empty my wallet into my friends center console hard hull for offshore fishing. Figure out you will be doing 90% of the time and let that guide your decision.

Old 19 August 2010, 11:00   #18

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
As far as to how the boat handles chop, it depends on frequency. Wakes or wake driven chop on the bay and in channels sucks. Out in the ocean I deal with surface chop and waves much better. The Futura is not going to give you as smooth of a ride in bad conditions as a hard hull or rib. That's why I have suspension seats
Old 19 August 2010, 11:07   #19

Kelson,

I noticed your seats are custom and sit a fair bit higher than the standard futura set up. Can you provide a bit more info about them?
Old 19 August 2010, 11:31   #20

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
What kind of conditions could this Futura mark III handle as far as chop comfortably on plane like maybe 1ft seas etc....?
The boat is not going to be the issue. It will handle a lot more than you will be willing to endure.

Swell won't be a problem unless it gets large and fast (makes for steeper faces.) I had my 14' out in some 10 foot seas (which seems pretty stupid looking back on it.)

Chop comes in all sorts of flavors, so you can't really put a max size on it. A small confused chop is worse than a larger, more organized chop. As an aaside, I found that, besides the bumpiness, the spray blowing back into the boat was pretty uncomfortable. Crosswinds suck.

jky