Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 13 January 2012, 14:38   #1

Town: Atlanta
Boat name: SE9
Make: Sea Eagle
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF 2.5s
Looking for SIB for small motor. Bombard Typhoon?

Hi folks. Just discovered this forum and have already found a ton of great information. I currently own a Sea Eagle SE9 with a new four stroke Suzuki 2.5 hp. I use the boat for fishing mostly by myself on lakes and a river in my area. For the most part it's a great fishing boat. It's very light but is stable, has a two-piece wood floor and is tough enough to take a beating. Best of all, it rolls up and the boat and accessories (except the floorboards) all fit nicely in a large bag that fits in the back of my car.

My complaints are that it takes a little longer to set up than I would like, and it just doesn't work well with a gas motor. A larger motor won't make any difference on this boat. It has a rounded stern and a flat bottom and is like trying to push a mattress across the lake. Speed is not an issue for me, though. I would like to go a little faster, but in the places where I fish there is no need to get on a plane. Mostly, I am just looking for a smoother ride and maybe gain one or two mph. I am thinking a pontoon-type sib with the transom between the tubes will improve performance for my little motor.

I've been looking at the Bombard Typhoon 310s. Defender currently has this boat on sale for $699, which seems like a really good deal. Any thoughts on this boat for my purposes? Will it function with a 2.5 hp? I know many of you are going to recommend I get a larger motor. I may be able to do that one day in the future, but I can't right now. The Suzuki is brand new and is a great little motor. The best thing about it is it weighs just 30 lbs., so I can pick it up with one hand and stand it up in the back seat of my car. Weight and size are key issues for me because I mostly fish by myself. I need something I can fit in my car, sets up easily and that I can handle by myself. If not the Typhoon, what sib would you recommend for my purposes and a 2.5 hp?

Thanks!