Old 10 June 2012, 21:34   #41

Town: bristol
Boat name: zodiac
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
Oh its just great fun, i used to have a boat that needed mooring ect..WHAT A HASSLE AND BLOODY EXPENSIVE...Zodiac fantastic mine has a 25 yamaha goes like a mental thing gotta hold on, the beauty for me is that it all fits neatly out of sight in my motor home big plus. Ive made my own control consul which is so good i really should think about marketing it but cant get the bits cheap enough to make a fair profit (ill post video of my kit soon)

Happy boating mate
Old 13 June 2012, 06:46   #42

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Here's another chance for a great buy:

ZODIAC C310S Inflatable | eBay
Old 13 June 2012, 10:07   #43

Yes I agree it looks nice but solid floor ? I was trying to avoid after advice on here
And it's quite a way from me so have to factor in pickup cost
Will keep my eye on it though
I have missed a couple of nice ones due to Internet problems
Old 13 June 2012, 10:36   #44

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Johnny5 - my fold down 3.1 BOMBARD RIB of an interest in the for sale section ?

Am sure I can do something on price ...
Old 13 June 2012, 12:38   #45

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>but solid floor ? I was trying to avoid after advice on here

Johnny there is no need to avoid solid floors. It just happens that many of the folks who replied have biased their advice to an air floor. In other threads it might go the other way.

There are plusses and minusses to both and you won't really know which you prefer until you've tried them but the solid floor could be the safer bet as some folks hate air floors and want to change them quickly. Also you mentioned sea fishing... a solid floor is much better for that activity. OK a solid floor is a bit of a weight and struggle to assemble in a 4.2m inflatable but with one around 3m no problems.

That latest boat linked by Max is a good buy having the transom wheels already. The wooden solid floors like that one has are usually easier to fit than modern alloy ones.
Old 13 June 2012, 13:23   #46

David, where have you been - this SIB section is dying a bit lately!
Old 13 June 2012, 13:51   #47

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>David, where have you been

I might have mentioned we've moved twice in the past 9mths and are now in the permanent place which I've been working on since Christmas. Even had to cancel the "inflatable Scottish hols" last week! Soon be done though and back to normal activities.

As you know with experience of both floor types we are very happy with the current alloy floor but would not think twice before buying an air floor next time if it was the right boat/deal.

It would be a shame if Johnny passed by a decent wooden floor buy because he'd gained the impression it "had" to be an air floor.

That 310 Cadet solid floor you linked only weighs 17lbs more than the same size FR Zodiac air floor model which is not a great difference. In fact at 83lbs the 310 solid floor weighs 5lbs less than your 340 air floor so it's a pretty light boat. I find anything under 100lbs fees light... its getting up to 160lbs like my 3.5 Honwave that feels heavy!

I happen to have a 2002 Zodiac brochure in the desk with these models shown or I wouldn't know the info.
Old 13 June 2012, 15:01   #48
sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: -
my immaculate Sib for sale.
pm me for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000409.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	69317   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000411.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	69318  
Old 13 June 2012, 15:16   #49

Agree with a lot of that. I'm currently evaluting fitting a wooden floor to our 340 as we only ever keep it fully inflated - this would help to stiffen up the floor, push the keel down more and stop the dreaded rythmic 'wallowing' you get underfoot when planing if you don't get the weight distribution just right. Had a Yam 380 with Yam 15hp out on the river a couple of weeks back (a much heavier - about 110kg outfit compared to around 56kg for the Zodiac 340/Tohatsu) but with a wooden floor and more substantial keel - the difference in the turn was fantastic, I won't say it bit the water like a RIB but it made the Zodiac seem like a lilo...

Having said all that I'm still searching for a Y Class so that will be a lot more solid and I proably won't bother with mods to the Zodiac but keep it lightweight and easy to use as it is.

This Avon was another beauty and bargain that went through eBay this week and would have been a brilliant buy, superbly built and in lovely order - a real classic looker too:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Old 13 June 2012, 18:15   #50

Hi everyone
Thanks to all for all your helpful advice.
Getting an inflatable is not as simple as it first sounds but from all the advice I'm getting I'm starting to move in the right direction.
I understand everyone has there own preferences etc but due to the fact I wanted to deflate every time and move around in my car boot or roof rack the air floor sounded perfect for me but I haven't ruled out a solid floor but I do hear a few comments about people putting in a solid floor over a air floor so I'm now thinking they may be not as solid as I thought
I watched a video online about the zodiac air floor and they said that you could lay the floor across a couple of trestles and it would be strong enough to stand on ? (maybe not so true)
But I do like the zodiac with the inflatable keel I'm assuming also that the keel as opposed to a flat bottom is a nassesaty
Thanks again guys.
Old 13 June 2012, 20:26   #51

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Looks like this thread is now an air floor conundrum. It may be that not all airfloors are equal. My floor has a single small plank under it and at pressure it is solid. My boat doesn't flex at all.

I've read that some don't like air floors but when I was doing my research this time last year, the dealer I phoned commented "Don't discount air floors, you will be amazed how solid a good one is".

I've nothing to compare my floor and experience with, other than I'm happy with my boat (although bigger and faster is always better...).
The only zodiac I've been in had a slatted floor and it was cr@p.
Old 14 June 2012, 18:35   #52

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have had a few different floors and despite the different opinions on here, I think there is some concensus.

Air Floor
Pros: Light, easy to inflate, V profile from keel or floor. Good ones are very solid (HonWave, Zodiac, Quicksilver, Suzumar etc)
Cons: Cheap ones are not very solid (Think very early Yam ones), at higher speeds and with bigger engines the floor can wallow which reduces performance.

Solid Floor
Pros: Rigid boat able to take maximum HP with no wallowing, V profile from Keel.
Cons: Heavier than an air floor, can be a faff to put up, take more storage space in the boot.

But at about 3m I would be happy with either, its good advice to buy a well known make, if you arnt happy you can always re-sell very easily on eBay with little financial loss.
Old 15 June 2012, 09:23   #53

Town: Eastbourne
Make: Elling K430SL
Engine: 5hp 2T
Seems like a good thread to dive in with my 1st post Here's my ebay £300 beauty:
(Apols if the pics are a bit large)

Avon Rover R3.10. Hypalon, 25 years young. 1 owner, no repairs, just had new valves. Came with seats and bow dodger too, not in the photo.

The wood floor is light and easy enough to fit. (Boat 33kg, floor 13kg). A big bonus for me (tight budget also!) is that without an airfloor the std Avon footpump is more than adequate. Pumps tubes and keel up in just a few minutes.

Need wheels though. So that earlier Zodiac is a good buy as decent wheels are £80-100 and expensive leccy pump also shouldn't be required.

These are the best looking wheels I've found so far. German telescopic for about £100 delivered. Anyone else have them?

Launching wheels for inflatable boats
Old 15 June 2012, 20:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richxlt View Post

These are the best looking wheels I've found so far. German telescopic for about £100 delivered. Anyone else have them?

Launching wheels for inflatable boats
Those look great. Watching with interest to see if anyone has used them
Old 15 June 2012, 20:23   #55

Johnny5 this maybe worth a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I've a 2006 Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke. Short shaft tiller control. Later black model with red decals. 26kgs.

Not the best cosmetic condition but runs well. Some numpty has sprayed the leg and it looks average at best.

Priced £750 ono

Can get pictures.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 27 July 2012, 22:26   #56

yam 380

any recommendations for a yam 380 can it be handled by 1 person is it good for sea what would be optium engine hp
Old 29 July 2012, 16:09   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cala
any recommendations for a yam 380 can it be handled by 1 person is it good for sea what would be optium engine hp
I have had the Yam 380.
The boat can be handled by one person as long as you have a trailer. A 20hp two stroke is perfect and economical plus is only 30 kilos and can be lifted easy. Nice boat.
My only concern on this boat is the material which is not hypalon, of course the weight of the boat is lighter but it cannot be used for heavy duty or diving. If you need it for run about I would buy it again
Old 29 July 2012, 18:12   #58

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss View Post
My only concern on this boat is the material which is not hypalon, of course the weight of the boat is lighter but it cannot be used for heavy duty or diving.
Are you saying PVC boats can not be used for diving?
Old 29 July 2012, 18:34   #59

thanks for info does it take a long or medium shaft