Old 14 September 2007, 07:00   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I had the honda 3.8 airdeck with a honda 20 . I chose it because the floor was the highest pressure and the deepest V . It was a great little boat but i wouldn't have wanted a baby in my arms in it in anything over an 18" chop , it felt safe but certainly bounced you about and both arms were needed to hang on .
The honda was I think the lightest 4 stroke 20 and a superb engine 47kg I think . If I bought another i would go for a 25hp 2 stroke because it hardly used any fuel anyway and it could have easily taken the extra power when loaded.
Best thing i ever bought for it was the Bravo Hi pressure pump with the pressure settingon the dial, the only way to get the floor to the right pressure 12psi !unless you have spare hour and big legs and its a must for deflating and storing in a car , well worth the money. although I ended up with it on a trailer as it was so much hassle packing it up every time .
That was a superb Sib. The only prob was that you started cruising with Ribs. Caja needed lashing to the floor in a bit of chop.
Old 14 September 2007, 08:12   #22

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Tohatsu's website quotes 37kgs for the 18hp - the same as the 15hp and the 9.9 - obviously the same block.

My suzuki 15hp 4 stroke weighs 47kgs so I could have more power for less weight!!!
Not on this site! 41Kg!
http://www.tohatsu-uk.net/EnginesNew...eSpecTable.htm
Old 14 September 2007, 08:26   #23

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
Quote:
The Tohatsu 18hp weighs the same as their 15hp!!!
Thats cos its the same engine, with better tuning (so my supplier told me who got something extra from somewhere on my To 15)
Old 14 September 2007, 08:37   #24

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 130
Thanks for all the great info so far

Completely agree about the babe in arms in a chop, I was planning to use it at Salcombe with the little one, and then as a bit of fun without the baby!

I've had a look at the Honda's, they seem to have a triangulated section from the sponsons to the transom, looks like they are to increase the engine weight the boat can carry? Is this correct or do they have a hydrodynamic effect too? Do Honda also produce a set of special launching wheels to go around this?

Al
Old 14 September 2007, 09:49   #25

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Been there - done that !

When the children were small, we started with a 3m Tohatsu SIB and 5hp Tohatsu outboard - down in Salcombe. We went up to Kingsbridge, South Pool, Ditchend Cove, Frogmore, Sunny Cove - but pretty much stayed within the harbour limits since we were thrown about quite a lot even going round to Starehole Bay in a moderate chop. With small children (under 6) and the 8 knot harbour speed limit that was an ideal combination (since we don't have that much storage space at home - otherwise a RIB would be on the cards).

As the children got older they wanted to donut and water ski and travel further so we went to a bigger SIB (Zodiac 4.2m with a 50hp) - only because in theory I could deflate and put in the boot. First week out was a month ago and everyone enjoyed it - but the children are bigger and can hold on better ! We extended our range to Gara Rock (not very far) and Hope Cove/ Thurlestone on fairly calm days - but that is fine at the moment.

So I would question whether you need anything above 10hp if you are mainly going to stay within the confines of the harbour ?
Old 14 September 2007, 09:49   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Thanks for all the great info so far

Completely agree about the babe in arms in a chop, I was planning to use it at Salcombe with the little one, and then as a bit of fun without the baby!

I've had a look at the Honda's, they seem to have a triangulated section from the sponsons to the transom, looks like they are to increase the engine weight the boat can carry? Is this correct or do they have a hydrodynamic effect too? Do Honda also produce a set of special launching wheels to go around this?

Al
completely true about the hard ride in the Honda, I have taken mine out in bigger swells and it rides better than in short chop. there is a triangulated section, an extension of the air floor, on the stern after the transom. I'm sure it helps the weight factor, but also has some trim tab qualities.
With the 20hp Yam 2 stroke on, I really thought the trailer was a lot less hassle, but have looked at the launching wheels idea. As far as I know Honda dont make any specific launching wheels for this model, but I have thought that it would be possible to make your own, with the support arms being sort of "L" shaped, and folding up and around.
I am seriously thinking about one of those small launching trolleys for the coming year.

I am also thinking I will take my SIB to Salcombe next holiday, as the SR4 struggled to reach the tops of the creeks unless in the HT window this year.
I echo what Mr Parkes said in his post...the Honda is a very capable SIB!
Old 14 September 2007, 10:04   #27

The Honda Airdeck seems to be getting a great feedback, so I'll definately have a closer inspection at the boat show - just missed a second hand one in Somerset by half an hour!!!

I'm still not sure I 'need' a 15-20 hp engine... but the petrol head in me wants it Had to let go of the my Humber RIB so need a little bit of fun..

I've seen quite a few of you talking about a high pressure pump to inflate the floor - can this be used at a lower setting for the tubes, or do I need another gadget to save my legs?

Al
Old 14 September 2007, 11:22   #28
RIBnet supporter

I have a 12v hi pressure pump that I use for the tubes, but it wont give enough pressure for the floor. I use a Bravo 10 for that and pump it up by foot! It really doesn't take that long ... maybe 10 mins ..to do both sides of the floor from flat.
I previously used a Mariner 15hp 2 stroke on the SIB, but found myself sitting at full chat wanting a little more out of the engine!!
The Yam 20 does give you a little more .. but fr using it around Salcombe..I'm sure a 10hp would be sufficient!
Old 14 September 2007, 12:17   #29

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Foot pumps are a waste of time and effort - what you need is one of the stirrup pump types. They typically sell for about £25 but if you go to a discount camping type place they are a lot cheaper - I paid £8 for mine and it's identical to the dearer models.

I can't keep stressing enough how important the inflatable swing up launching wheels are. I was lucky my boat already had them fitted - they are ESSENTIAL.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...3-2c4c9f8bdf94
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6790.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	29994  
Old 14 September 2007, 12:51   #30

I had pretty much decided the wheels were completely necessary, but having seen people use them in Salcombe this summer it confirmed my thoughts.

Codders - how long does it take to inflate yr boat with the stirrup pump?
Old 14 September 2007, 13:32   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
I had pretty much decided the wheels were completely necessary, but having seen people use them in Salcombe this summer it confirmed my thoughts.

Codders - how long does it take to inflate yr boat with the stirrup pump?
I just use the pump to bring it up to pressure. I use a cheap and nasty 12v inflator to get the big volume of air in first. Having said that I keep the stirrup pump on my 9m RIB and 10 pumps into each chamber was enough to take the tubes from VERY soft back up to pressure so it moves a lot of air. They are double action.
Old 14 September 2007, 13:49   #32

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I have a high volume, very fast (60 cf/m) electric pump that I use which gets my tubes to about 2 psi, then top up to pressure with a manual pump. I've found the piston style hand pump that inflates on both the upstroke & downstroke to be much more efficient than my foot pumps (Bravo & Zodiac brands) are.

Since the foot pumps can be strapped down flat to minimize space, I always carry a foot pump, hose & patch kit with me in the boat as part of my list of essential gear that goes along for any outing.
Old 14 September 2007, 15:09   #33

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Mollers is dead right , the limitations of the Sib became really bad when I started cruising with ribs as you try to get along faster on water you would have taken a different route to cross if possible .

The extended rear floor does really help the boat cope well with a bigger motor which it needs if you are loaded ie 3 adults and kit . they now make wheels specially for this model ,

The bravo electric pump with the pressure dial and 2 stage motor is the only one that will get the floor to full pressure .

value for money the Honda is best , boat only is only about £750 and huge discounts are about for boat motor and deals . Mine came from brigmarine in exeter . You can but the lot for about £2500 new and cheaper with a 2 stroke , go for a 30 mariner , if the little lifeguard sibs take them the honda will have no problem at all and it will fly . No worries of it not handling it would spin almost on its transom and never wanted to slide sideways or get scary , the prop will ventilate before anything else .
Old 14 September 2007, 15:26   #34

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
I can't keep stressing enough how important the inflatable swing up launching wheels are. I was lucky my boat already had them fitted - they are ESSENTIAL.
Certainly very handy, and at LESS than 100 quid well worth having:
http://shop.malthouse-marine.com/ind...d=73&parent=21

As for pumps, the Quicksilvers come with a decent double action stirup one as standard. I find the self-contained rechargeable pumps very handy for getting the volume of air in, then just top off to the right pressure with the stirup version.

I would not want to say anything against the Honda, but at 745.00 for the 3.4m Quicky I think they are hard to beat. Completely biased, of course.
Old 14 September 2007, 15:43   #35

Ian - where did you get that pump you mentioned from?

Al
Old 14 September 2007, 16:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Certainly very handy, and at LESS than 100 quid well worth having:
http://shop.malthouse-marine.com/ind...d=73&parent=21

As for pumps, the Quicksilvers come with a decent double action stirup one as standard. I find the self-contained rechargeable pumps very handy for getting the volume of air in, then just top off to the right pressure with the stirup version.

I would not want to say anything against the Honda, but at 745.00 for the 3.4m Quicky I think they are hard to beat. Completely biased, of course.
Thats the best price I have seen for the decent wheels - the rigid plastic ones are crap - these are the only ones to get. it is also vital that they have the slight bent leg look for clearance.
Old 14 September 2007, 18:51   #37

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Bravo BST12 HP pump

Ian is absolutely right about the pump. You can get them from Polymarine, here:
http://www.polymarine.com/products/p...[1744].cfm

Expensive, but so worth it.

It is essential to run it off a beefy enough battery though. If the battery can;t produce enough current, the high volume low pressure turbine doesn't get it up to pressure, and the motor blows. I found out the hard way, cost me £45 for a repair. Now I run it off the car battery with the engine running, and someone holding the revs at 3000rpm.

Don't get an inflatble with an airdeck and then spoil the experience by having to pump it up manually ...

cheers,
Simon

PS: I started with the LVM pump, previously mentioned on RIBnet. That is also very good, but won't do the high pressure floor.
Old 14 September 2007, 20:36   #38
RIBnet supporter

[QUOTE=ian parkes;218725] The extended rear floor does really help the boat cope well with a bigger motor which it needs if you are loaded ie 3 adults and kit . they now make wheels specially for this model ,

Ian ... who does the wheels especially for the Honda 3.8 air floor?
Do you have a link?

thanks
Andy
Old 15 September 2007, 06:59   #39

Wheels for Honda SIB

Andy,

Try this http://www.marinedirect.co.uk/produc...roducts_id=298

They seem more expensive than the ones Malthouse has, but I haven't seen any other ones with the bend to go around the triangulated sections

Al
Old 15 September 2007, 07:44   #40
RIBnet supporter

Andy,

Try this http://www.marinedirect.co.uk/produc...roducts_id=298

They seem more expensive than the ones Malthouse has, but I haven't seen any other ones with the bend to go around the triangulated sections

Hey - Thanks for the link.. BUT ..has anybody used these?
I dont see how they would swing inboard (up) when there is an OB fitted, epecially a 20hp size one. Presumably they would have to swing into the centre line to swing up and I dont see how they would not foul the OB?

Andy