Old 15 February 2008, 23:47   #1
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Looking for a toy....

OK so I had a plan last winter to sell the sports cruiser and go hardcore RIB (7m+ with a diesel inboard)

Well i've decided against that, going to keep the sports cruiser and the 2.8m inflatable tender for pottering about... and buy myself a ltitle toy

I want to buy a pretty hardcore SIB in the region of about 4m. The reason for a SIB as opposed to RIB is because i'd like to be able to beach without thinking to myself "Am I going to scratch gelcoat etc. etc.". Ideally i'd love something like those RNLI inflatables - they look damn cool and solid, but something like a Zodiac inflatable would be nice

I was looking at those Yam 380's etc with a 25HP engine but they're a little too 'tender' for what I want to be able to do. What I want is speed, but also be able to have a bit or river/lake messing about in windy weather

The only thing I can come up with in this instance is a Zapcat or the likes... those things are rockets and can take the weather.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22972 ... This bad boy really makes me wet! (ooh er!) but I can't decide if I want the convenience of having a nice seat, or would I prefer the aggression of a tiller control

Any ideas/suggestions etc. welcomed. I want something for the upcoming season, and would ideally want to travel over to the UK to buy either the 3rd-4th week in March (It's the only free time i'd have to take 1/2 days off to travel)

Brainstorm people!
Old 16 February 2008, 00:19   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I still fancy a ceasar surfcat to play with , nearly a zapcat but with more practicality .
problem now is finding the right motor
Old 16 February 2008, 00:43   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
How about a 4.7 m SIB (with Orca 866 hypalon) like this? This one is rated for up to 80hp. It's also available in 5.3m & 4.2m versions.

Old 16 February 2008, 01:41   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nice boats but it has to be a zapcat!!!
Old 16 February 2008, 04:56   #5

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Ideally i'd love something like those RNLI inflatables - they look damn cool and solid, but something like a Zodiac inflatable would be nice
Have you checked with the RNLI? They regularly sell off old stock - lifeboat people get first chance, but if no-one internal wants to buy there can be ex inshore lifeboats for sale
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 08:18   #6

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Have you checked with the RNLI? They regularly sell off old stock - lifeboat people get first chance, but if no-one internal wants to buy there can be ex inshore lifeboats for sale
There don't seem to be that many available these days - I think D class usually get sold to other rescue organisations, with only the occasional Y boat or SIB boarding boat for sale to lifeboat people.

Cheers

Chris
Old 16 February 2008, 10:23   #7
alt

Thinking about it yesterday, I reckon it's gotta either be:

Thundercat
Zapcat
Or if possible, inshore RNLI lifeboat SIB

3 sort of different boats, really.

I love the bucket seats in the Thundercat, meaning and I can have a 'comfortable' drive and still have plenty of messing about

The zapcat is pure hardcore. However I know there's going to be times when I just want to go for a rip up the river by myself after work etc... are these too light at the bow with only one person? (I Youtubed videos and they seem to be OK when going straight). Secondly, I used to love sitting on the floor on inflatables when I was younger, but silly me badly injured my spine a couple of years back... could it get uncomfortable after a while?

And finally the RNLI inflatable... pure mean! These things could take a bit of rough weather, but the thing is i'd never be out on bad weather and nearly all my use would be on an inland lake

Can I be ignorant and ask any people in the know... What kinda of realistic, straight line, flat calm speeds can I expect from each?
The thundercat above has a 75hp
Most Zapcats seem to have 50hp
Not sure about the RNLI but I realise that these wouldn't be all that fast

I realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question depending on load, prop size etc. but a general round figure would be nice

And finally, is it possible to find a 2nd hand Zapcat that was never raced?
Old 16 February 2008, 11:48   #8

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
If you could find an ex RNLI D-class SIB for sale, it would be the 'EA16' rather than the newer 'IB1' . The RNLI use them with a 40HP 2 stroke, which gives 18 - 20 knots. Length is 5 metres.

Out of interest, the newer IB1 has a 50HP outboard and gives 25 knots, but there were a lot of design changes to achieve this rather than just a bigger outboard.

The Y boat is about 3 metres long and used by the RNLI with a 15HP outboard. Not sure how fast, but not very.

The 'problem' with all of them is that strength comes at the price of weight.

Cheers

Chris
Old 16 February 2008, 12:00   #9
alt

Chris,
Thanks for that. I think i'm going to go down the Thundercat/Thunderbolt route - I want a bit of speed.
Old 16 February 2008, 14:49   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
OK so I had a plan last winter to sell the sports cruiser and go hardcore RIB (7m+ with a diesel inboard)

Well i've decided against that, going to keep the sports cruiser and the 2.8m inflatable tender for pottering about... and buy myself a ltitle toy

I want to buy a pretty hardcore SIB in the region of about 4m. The reason for a SIB as opposed to RIB is because i'd like to be able to beach without thinking to myself "Am I going to scratch gelcoat etc. etc.". Ideally i'd love something like those RNLI inflatables - they look damn cool and solid, but something like a Zodiac inflatable would be nice

I was looking at those Yam 380's etc with a 25HP engine but they're a little too 'tender' for what I want to be able to do. What I want is speed, but also be able to have a bit or river/lake messing about in windy weather

The only thing I can come up with in this instance is a Zapcat or the likes... those things are rockets and can take the weather.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22972 ... This bad boy really makes me wet! (ooh er!) but I can't decide if I want the convenience of having a nice seat, or would I prefer the aggression of a tiller control

Any ideas/suggestions etc. welcomed. I want something for the upcoming season, and would ideally want to travel over to the UK to buy either the 3rd-4th week in March (It's the only free time i'd have to take 1/2 days off to travel)

Brainstorm people!
How about this, open to reasonable offers, takes upto a 15hp, I am currently using a borrowed 6hp on it, with that 1 up the cat skims across the water, with a 15hp it will really go well.

http://www.ukpowerboat.co.uk/brokera...190463674a76d2
Old 16 February 2008, 15:42   #11
alt

Hi Nauti

Been discussing this over lunch with the GF and i've decided that i'm going to go for a Ceasar (Through recommendation) ThunderCAT

The reason being that 'herself' reckons the thundbolts are like thundercats for OAP's

Personally I think the cats will be more fun for the use i'll give it. I'm still trying to decide to go for new or 2nd hand... would it be hard to find an unabused 2nd hand model thundercat?

Any opinions on the Tohatsu engines?
Old 16 February 2008, 16:44   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Hi Nauti

Been discussing this over lunch with the GF and i've decided that i'm going to go for a Ceasar (Through recommendation) ThunderCAT

The reason being that 'herself' reckons the thundbolts are like thundercats for OAP's

Personally I think the cats will be more fun for the use i'll give it. I'm still trying to decide to go for new or 2nd hand... would it be hard to find an unabused 2nd hand model thundercat?

Any opinions on the Tohatsu engines?
Hi

So is this one any good for you then?

http://www.ukpowerboat.co.uk/brokera...22a51c976832a8

Rgds

Richard
Old 16 February 2008, 17:04   #13
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Hi

Rgds

Richard
You have PM
Old 16 February 2008, 19:32   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Tohatsu engines are great - light and powerful and the older 2 strokes are bulle proof. Just tried to buy one but no 18hps left!!!
Old 16 February 2008, 19:34   #15
alt

Nice one cod, I think I may have a Thundercat sorted. 2nd hand boat and trailer with a new engine - so long as the boat isint showing signs of abuse I think we may have a deal
Old 17 February 2008, 08:53   #16

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Hi

Rgds

Richard
I want the buggy! Now if it only had 2 seats!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2008, 16:51   #17
alt

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I have decided to go with a brand new Thundercat package. Boys and their toys, eh!

I had origionally planned on selling the sports cruiser and buying a decent diesel RIB, but I like the sports cruiser too much to sell outright. So I still have the sports cruiser for the sunny days and i'll have the Thundercat for messing about in/using as a tender

Engine is coming next week, boat is being delivered mid March

If anyone has one of these, or similar, any advise etc appreciated!
Old 25 February 2008, 17:50   #18

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Ceaser boat

Pure Class,

your sure going to have some craic in that one. what size engine are you placing on the tail?
Old 25 February 2008, 19:48   #19
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Pure Class,

your sure going to have some craic in that one. what size engine are you placing on the tail?
Tohatsu 50HP, stainless prop... the usual setup

I'm going to keep it standard for the time being. Might change props after I get used to it but just want to get used to it for the time being, should be good craic alright
Old 25 February 2008, 19:58   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666

Iam jealous thats a very very nice toy . Iam almost tempted to sell my yam fazer for one of those . In fact if we have another wet summer I probably will .

have you managed to find a new tohatsu 50 . I got the impression that although there are none available there must be some kept back for the zap cat racers .