Old 09 November 2015, 04:12   #1

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Looking for a new sib

I have an old zodiac with a 25 on it, engine is sound but boat has past its best. Time for a new one and hope to fond something a bit newer that isn't about to have all the glue give up!

Thought I'd mention it encase anyone is selling on here or knows of one for sale.

Would ideally find an aerotec but am willing to consider other boats.

Thanks

Old 09 November 2015, 04:18   #2

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
What sort of model/age is the old Zodiac? Is it failing or do you just fancy a change?

Old 09 November 2015, 04:26   #3

M2 c 20 odd years old, baffles have gone, needs some glueing too
Old 09 November 2015, 05:50   #4

Ahh OK. To get the best chance of being free of glue issues on PVC boats you really need to look at 2005 and newer.

Assume yours is an alloy or wood floor?? You mention an Aerotec, are you looking for an air floor this time?
Old 09 November 2015, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ahh OK. To get the best chance of being free of glue issues on PVC boats you really need to look at 2005 and newer.

Assume yours is an alloy or wood floor?? You mention an Aerotec, are you looking for an air floor this time?
Mine is an alloy floor, the hypalon is in good condition and boat is usable (wont sell until I have bought another, don't want to be sibless !) but it's clearly hit the age where it's starting to have issues and with the baffles gone and some of the people I take out being non swimmers........

I'd look at another ali floor sib but having read all the really positive comments on the aerotec I quite fancy one of these. I pack up my boat rather than trailering (drive a van anyway) and wheel it down the beach (engine and all) on launch wheels. The aerotec is meant to be superb for this and guess with it being lighter it should go faster with the 25hp (though was reading some threads last night that said the aerotec has extra drag).

I know I definitely want something newer, I saw a post yesterday where someone said they bought a brand new aerotec for 1250 (was back in 2011) and would love to find a deal like that. Not holding my breath though, sounds too good to be true but am in no rush and hope to find a decent/newish sib for reasonable money before next season.
Old 09 November 2015, 06:25   #6

Trust me as someone who has this year looked for and bought a used Aerotec and then a new one... having phoned every dealer... there was something very unique about that 1250 deal. They retail at 2500+, discount is often around 2250 and in exceptional circumstances discounted to 1900... but 1250 is an odd one in a million blip.

Don't worry about any speed reduction with possible drag due to the Aerotec hull... I have done a back to back test this year against a flatter floor Zodiac 340 using the same 15hp and the Aertotec was in the region of just 1kt slower... a 25hp would have so much reserve power this would not be a factor.

Two main advantages of the Aerotec over your old Zodiac... easy of setting up and taking down plus ability in a chop. Disadvantage really only if the V floor suits your use or not. For example if you have the max people, dog, fishing gear and loads of kit etc a flatter floor is better.

Of course another to consider is the Honwave 380 air floor which new is about the same price as a used Aerotec. Great build and great value. Some have said its floor is less stiff that the Aerotec but I have no personal experience to know.

As an aside I didn't think your old Zodiac model was Hypalon, also I've owned several Hypalon SIBs going back to 1972 models and the glue has never been an issue... it's PVC ones that pull apart at the seams.
Old 09 November 2015, 06:48   #7

I'm pretty sure it's hypalon from everything I've read, only glue issues is where the floor meets transom, not seems on tubes.

Baffles worry me though and it is a pain to set up.
Old 09 November 2015, 06:57   #8

How comes you bought a new and used one?
Old 09 November 2015, 07:25   #9

For years they'd not suited our use then circumstances changed and I thought I'd try one. Bought a 17yr old one at a very low price (which had past repairs and I did some more) purely to trial on our Scottish holiday this year against our existing Zodiac 340 air floor.

It was always in the back of our mind if the Aerotec was that good we'd buy a new one... it was so we did! Then sold the old one on to get our money back to someone else who can give one a spin and keep/pass on as he wishes.

More here...

Old used Aerotec impressions.

Re the Hypalon thing... it was just something in the back of my mind re your model being PVC. Usually on PVC Zodiacs (as with Aerotecs) the tube seams are all welded which never give trouble it's just the floor will come unglued as will the transom overlaps.
Old 09 November 2015, 09:20   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
An Aerotec will appear before long, I have not run any searches for a while but check the SIB's spotted on eBay topic for some places to look. They turn up quite frequently.

SIB's spotted on eBay thread