Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 February 2016, 06:28   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>The Acti-V has a welded transom.

I ask because I'm interested... not to say you're wrong... how do they weld PVC to wood?
Possibly a composite transom David I would think one of the many plastics. Direct plastics in Sheffield have a good site explaining all sorts of products and there application.

Cheers
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 06:31   #12
Member
 
dave3235's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>The Acti-V has a welded transom.

I ask because I'm interested... not to say you're wrong... how do they weld PVC to wood?

Hi all

I found a post under (sib transom strengtheners) it shows what stuff and how to make what it says,not sure how to link the post but am sure someone can paste it in.
__________________

__________________
dave3235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 07:29   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,275
>>>Possibly a composite transom David

The Honwaves are ply between outer GRP and have nice thick strong transoms which I've always liked but I think they are the only SIB transoms that are other than just wood.

I assume you mean a plastic composite which isn't the case with UK Zodiac Cadet/Acti-V's... they have painted plywood transoms of a (to me) rather minimal thickness. I've had two that were fine at 10+yrs old but one that de-laminated within a week of use!
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 07:56   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,565
My Mercury is ply with what looks to be a thin plastic film bit strange really possibly sprayed on I don't really know how that's glued or heat sealed to the transom again not sure the rest of the tube is heat bonded.
We have a SIT inflateable at work made in the UK it has a plastic transom possibly HDPE boat is called a resicraft 5m air floor.

Cheers
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 08:08   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,275
Thanks for the info Jeff... I'm not well up on the small "commercial" brands so it's interesting to know that and have a look round their website.

On at least two of my Zodiac Acti-V's the transom did look like there was evidence of "spot weld" type fixings and it always puzzled me.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 08:19   #16
Member
 
dave3235's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thanks for the info Jeff... I'm not well up on the small "commercial" brands so it's interesting to know that and have a look round their website.

On at least two of my Zodiac Acti-V's the transom did look like there was evidence of "spot weld" type fixings and it always puzzled me.

Hi all

Here is the link.



Sorry didn't work
__________________
dave3235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 08:44   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thanks for the info Jeff... I'm not well up on the small "commercial" brands so it's interesting to know that and have a look round their website.

On at least two of my Zodiac Acti-V's the transom did look like there was evidence of "spot weld" type fixings and it always puzzled me.
The SIT stuff is mainly for rescue services we bought one as a safety boat 5m 80kg the floor has a boot lace holding it in and an inflatable keel all pump up together not keen on the boat myself as the tubes are not high enough for me as the floor is well up and convex but for rescue spot on with good carrying capacity.spot welding I can see that may be used for set up during manufacture,something that might interest you I started a thread welding HDPE I bought a hot air welder interestingly on you tube they show fixing patches with it on PVC fabric heating and using a roller to flat out.
I am going to buy some cheep fabric and have a play when I have time,done some welding with it and it's spot on would be very easy to make up boxes,consoles bespoke to your needs.

Cheers
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 19:33   #18
Member
 
Country: USA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
The bottom of the transom is definitely glued together, but not so much on my boat after taking out the floor and inspecting. The transom itself looks like it is possibly a plastic dip or just painted. I fixed the one and only hole and still good after 3 days, also put in some D-rings for surfboards. Next step is pull up the entire bottom of the transom, clean, re-glue. Oh yeah, also put on the mini-jacker and got it up to 5". Seems way solid but I am concerned about rolling it up. I think I will have to make a canvas cover with padding for mini, jacker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2653.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	110744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	110745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2655.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	110746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	110747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2658.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	110748  

__________________
lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 19:35   #19
Member
 
Country: USA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
More pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2656.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	110749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	110750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	110751  
__________________
lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2016, 21:28   #20
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>The Acti-V has a welded transom.

I ask because I'm interested... not to say you're wrong... how do they weld PVC to wood?
They don't... They weld through the wood.

There's about 20 plastic rivets that are ran through holes in the wood. If you stare very closely, you can see the little dimples in the plastic.
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.