Old 06 May 2017, 05:05   #1

Town: Penrith
Make: Lodestar
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 30hp 2stroke
Loch long

We will soon be off on our family holiday to Ardgartan on loch long in Scotland and if the weather forecast is good will be bringing the sib with us (380 air deck lodestar and 30hp Yamaha) just for a bit of exploring and maybe a bit of ringo and wakeboarding. does anyone have any advice on things to see or any hazards in the area to avoid? Thanks
Old 06 May 2017, 07:09   #2

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
midges
Old 06 May 2017, 08:10   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Have you read the clydeport notice to mariners?
Old 06 May 2017, 08:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Have you read the clydeport notice to mariners?

No , should I have read it?
Old 06 May 2017, 08:47   #5
RIBnet admin team

Loch long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaclause View Post
No , should I have read it?

I think it's always a good idea to read the NTMs for any area you are planning to operate in. I've not been in loch long for many years but I think the points that spring to mind are: there are speed limits; those limits are enforced by guys with guns; they are protecting naval operations so you want to understand the exclusion zones (not that I think they are often active far up l.long). Once you know the rules and who you might be upsetting (yachts will know them too) then you can make your own mind up about how religiously you abide by them (or when you do!).

You certainly NEED to read them if you plan going anywhere remotely near culport.
Old 06 May 2017, 08:47   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
QHM Notices | Royal Navy

QHM Clyde | Royal Navy
Old 06 May 2017, 09:06   #7

Thanks I will do some research.
Old 06 May 2017, 09:07   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Have a ride down the Loch for a look at the naval Base then hang a right up Loch goil nice little village for a look around and a little castle for a visit there are patrol boats knocking about but generally if they can see you just out for a play there pretty friendly and will just wave you on your way as long as your sensible around the Base you'll be fine the whole area is monitored by radar and we've come up at 25kts and just slowed for the Base then pressed on again never had much more than a good looking at and a wave
Depending on how far you want to go you could have a trip further down into the open Clyde and into holy Loch or across for a look at the wreck of the sugar boat (Google it)
Plenty to see and do depending on weather and how adventurous you want to be
Old 06 May 2017, 11:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Have a ride down the Loch for a look at the naval Base then hang a right up Loch goil nice little village for a look around and a little castle for a visit there are patrol boats knocking about but generally if they can see you just out for a play there pretty friendly and will just wave you on your way as long as your sensible around the Base you'll be fine the whole area is monitored by radar and we've come up at 25kts and just slowed for the Base then pressed on again never had much more than a good looking at and a wave
Depending on how far you want to go you could have a trip further down into the open Clyde and into holy Loch or across for a look at the wreck of the sugar boat (Google it)

Thanks, great info Lochgilphead and carrick castle should be doable weather permitting, but with young children I don't think we would venture any further.
Old 06 May 2017, 17:00   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
12 knott speed limit in the entire loch and Loch Goil
Old 06 May 2017, 17:27   #11

pulled twice by plods up there, they will pull you if they are bored or being a twat. last time they gave me the sirens blazing treatment for stopping to play with some dolphins, i wasn't remotely close to their no go zones but suddenly slowing down done it.

with that said i've probably went up there 30/40x so not a bad ratio and i guess they want a wee practice with the siren now and then

btw, anything "upstream" past the cloch is 12 knots or 5 in some areas, info here-

https://www.peelports.com/media/1370...th-edition.pdf

IMO Loch Goil is best loch on west coast for scenery.
Old 07 May 2017, 06:30   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
I stay in Dunoon and have launched from Port Riddle and headed to both Lochgoilhead and Arrochar. As mentioned Carrick and Lochgoilhead are worth a visit. The Goil Inn is right at the head of the loch if you want something to eat/drink. Land on the beach or there is a pontoon thingy at the garage. It's shallow at the head of the loch so transom wheels would be advantageous as it could be a drag either way when you arrive.
Worth a visit is Mark Cottage Bothy, its opposite the oil terminal.
As mentioned opposition Ardentinny the police are always patrolling the surrounding area and beyond. I've always stayed close to the west side whilst passing the base, giving an acknowledging wave should the patrol boat show interest.

If you can be bothered reading them, I've made a few wee reports on some trips I've made here...

https://explorecowal.com/category/sib/
Old 07 May 2017, 09:01   #13

Town: South Yorks
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: Yamaha 20hp
Hiya,
Where abouts do you stay. We went up for years but the 2 main campsites closed. We always stayed close to arrochar. The was at least 3 good points to launch and land. At this end of the loch it tends to be quieter. We never had any problems there. The area its self is beautiful. Take lots of lotions and potions for the midges in the evenings. The midges even have a website which tells you how bad they are!!

Cheers
Steve
Old 08 May 2017, 11:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudy View Post
Hiya,

Where abouts do you stay. We went up for years but the 2 main campsites closed. We always stayed close to arrochar. The was at least 3 good points to launch and land. At this end of the loch it tends to be quieter. We never had any problems there. The area its self is beautiful. Take lots of lotions and potions for the midges in the evenings. The midges even have a website which tells you how bad they are!!

Cheers

Steve

We are staying at forest holidays at Ardgartan near the top of loch long, will the midges have all woken up by the end of May?
Old 08 May 2017, 11:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudy View Post
Hiya,

Cheers

Steve

We are staying at forest holidays at Ardgartan near the top of loch long, will the midges have all woken up by the end of May?
Old 08 May 2017, 12:05   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaclause View Post
will the midges have all woken up by the end of May?
It's been warm so quite likely...
Old 08 May 2017, 12:19   #17

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
There is very good reason for such uncompromising security , but it extends well beyond the Loch and the base . I was stopped between Largs and Bute by Armed officers in a Rhib, in a yacht doing 6 knots and got a blunt warning about an approaching submarine exiting the Clyde that was barely visible with Binos let alone the naked eye . I sense its a perk of the job for them to put you in your place ! Nice Rib mind you! But could have been more friendly given Trident boat was nearly 3 miles away . Courtesy is always respected and appreciated , would have been a different matter if we were tacking away directly in front of the sub drinking a G and T ! No issue with the guys near the base tho .
Old 08 May 2017, 21:56   #18

Make: Zodiac 310s
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
we were up that way last weekend and the midges were'nt too bad, just take plenty of skin so soft you should be fine

there's quite a few dive sites near Ardgarten which are quite busy at this time of year especially at weekends and if I remember correctly some submerged iron work/concrete near low tide mark out from the slip (although it was still a campsite last time we were there so may have been cleared)

lovely area with an interesting history, the now derelict torpedo range used to have WW2 era grafitti visible on the quay

theres plenty to explore on Loch Long and there's always Loch Fyne just over rest and be thankful if you fancy a change of scenery for the day, you never know what you might see around the next bay

hope the weather stays fine for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170505_10_40_01_Pro.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	119426  
Old 09 May 2017, 08:46   #19

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Midgies started this week!! We have had no rain in our part of Argyll for 10 days or more so they are thirsty! Skin So Soft is hopeless imho!! Smidge is the potion of choice. Hope you get the weather it has been amazing here and still is.
Old 09 May 2017, 09:11   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perroboy View Post
Midgies started this week!! We have had no rain in our part of Argyll for 10 days or more so they are thirsty! Skin So Soft is hopeless imho!! Smidge is the potion of choice. Hope you get the weather it has been amazing here and still is.
I went over to "Smidge" a couple of years ago and agree it's the best I've tried so far!
Don't get em at Sea!
Some good advice here.
https://www.lochnessholiday.co.uk/th...-midges-ticks/

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote