Old 24 September 2015, 17:33   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Lifting a 25hp

Not really sure whether to post this here or in the engines section - settled on here because its quite pertinent to sibbing....

Obviously very happy with our current aerotec/15 hp combination, I can lug the engine around quite easily without using a trolley. However, I am interested in how people cope with lugging a 25 hp around. Do you all use a trolley? I'm wondering how you get them in and out of cars, how you get them onto the transom etc. If I could avoid having to dead lift a 25 I might be tempted to get one. I guess most 2 stroke 25s are around 50 kilos?

Cheers

Simon

Old 24 September 2015, 17:40   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I have a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. They're a lump but manageable. The only time l need a lift is putting it in/out the boot of the car as they're really top heavy as you'd expect. I also have a trolley.
See if there's anybody local to you and have a go.

Old 24 September 2015, 17:49   #3

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
I see that people often use a sack truck to wheel their outboards around on. I'm just thinking that if added an extra pair of wheels to the top of one I could wheel it to the car then lift the bottom and roll the whole thing in on my own.
Old 24 September 2015, 18:03   #4

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Whilst I don't own a sib I have looked at outboard transportation for when I get one.

I'll see if I can find a video of it but basically, guy made up one of those cav plate clamps with wheels. He floats the boat and wheels the engine right onto the transom, zero lifting involved. Unhooks the plate and off they go. Clips on another set at top when going back in the car so the engine has wheels top/bottom.....worked well.

If I find the vid i will post.
Old 24 September 2015, 18:14   #5

Town: South east england
Boat name: Whoopee
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 6 hp 25hp
Just swapped my 6 for a 25, yes 50 kg!, you really do need to prepare for the lift correctly or you will pull your back. I bolted a section of scaffold board to a sack trolley for testing/storage and wheel to car. I get the boat near the rear of car and lift carefully onto transom, the boat has strong transom wheels.
A
Old 24 September 2015, 18:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
I see that people often use a sack truck to wheel their outboards around on. I'm just thinking that if added an extra pair of wheels to the top of one I could wheel it to the car then lift the bottom and roll the whole thing in on my own.
Gurnard on here does this - minus the second set of wheels.
Sack barrow with a 2 stroke 25hp.
Slides it in and out of his SUV.
Then wheels it up to the Sibs transom.
Got it down to a fine art.
Wouldn't work with a 4 stroke tho......... glug glug I can hear the oil leaking out already
Old 24 September 2015, 18:45   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Used to have a 2-stroke Yammie on a Zodiac. Only had to build and disassemble during our annual holidays to the west coast. Use plenty padding, old pillows, etc, as it's an awkward thing to load. I found it easy enough, but I was 20 years younger. Key think is not to lift it too high. Keep the skeg just off the ground when moving it. As suggested, it's probably 50kg or thereabouts. I'd have a 2-stroke any day if you're building the boat. 4-strokes need the head to be slightly higher than the prop or you run the risk of oil leaks if transporting in the car.
Old 25 September 2015, 03:12   #8

Boat name: Commando C4
Make: Bombard
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP M25C3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Not really sure whether to post this here or in the engines section - settled on here because its quite pertinent to sibbing....

Obviously very happy with our current aerotec/15 hp combination, I can lug the engine around quite easily without using a trolley. However, I am interested in how people cope with lugging a 25 hp around. Do you all use a trolley? I'm wondering how you get them in and out of cars, how you get them onto the transom etc. If I could avoid having to dead lift a 25 I might be tempted to get one. I guess most 2 stroke 25s are around 50 kilos?

Cheers

Simon
I have just upgraded from a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke to a Tohatsu 25hp 2-stroke. The merc is 31kg, the Tohatsu 51kg. Still manageable. The Tohatsu is a down-tunded 30hp, I will have the restriction removed and the timing adjusted.
Old 25 September 2015, 05:02   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I had a 25hp 2-stroke a few years ago on a SIB. It was manageable but a struggle. I found that I only really needed the power when the boat was heavily loaded, but unless it was dead calm I didn't want to go that fast with four people on board anyway.

I sold it and went for a 15hp instead, and that's what I've stayed with. I've also had smaller engines, which were easy to carry but just lacked enough power. A 15hp is a compromise, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best one.

If you want the extra speed though a 25 is a realistic prospect, given a combination of muscle and ingenuity.
Old 25 September 2015, 07:44   #10

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
I'm with John on the choice of speed/usability and plumping for a 15hp. Of course there will be far stronger guys than me using a SIB and they must manage OK with larger outboards and the trolley system can work if you have a vehicle (ideally van or SUV) where that way is feasible.

But from time to time there is a need to do this or that with an outboard at launch/recovery time or in the garage... and for me a 25hp is just too large and top heavy to haul about.