Old 11 December 2013, 20:53   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Easy lady
Make: Bombard aerotech
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Lifejacket advice please!

I am looking to buy a lifejacket but am unsure what to go for, advice please?

I have a buoyancy aid but i like to do some slightly crazy stuff and therefore feel that i need something more suitable for what i have planned.

Having spent a couple of years staying relatively close to shore and in mild conditions, I want to push the boundaries a bit further!

I am not going across the channel or anything (yet) but I really enjoy jumping waves in unpredictable conditions!

Not sure that my 50n bouncy aid is sufficient should anything go wrong.

What should I go for, auto inflation or not etc...

I have a 3.8m aerotech and i am think about long coastal runs and around the isle of wight etc

Advice please?
Old 11 December 2013, 20:56   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Do you plan to be in the water or not? That's the first fork in the decision making path.
Old 11 December 2013, 21:11   #3

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Check out this link for some of the facts relating to Lifejackets/buoyancy aids

RNLI says: 'Wear a lifejacket'
Old 11 December 2013, 21:50   #4

Well....I am not planning on going for a swim!!!! but want to be safe should it happen!

Flat calm is a bit boring and the most fun is when there are biggish waves and we can jump them. but, i am aware that when things go wrong in those conditions, it can go seriously wrong!

Want to push things a bit but preferably without drowning! So I am thinking that if I do leave the boat and hit the water hard, I will at least be on the surface! Lol
Old 11 December 2013, 21:54   #5
RIBnet Supporter

OK - if you don't actually intend to go in the water, but are going to get splashed a lot then I'd suggest an automatic jacket with a Hammar action inflation system - these are not as likely to fire if splashed because they are pressure activated. Expect to pay around £50+

Had you intended to get wet there are lots of closed foam vests, but they're a touch bulky...
Old 11 December 2013, 22:23   #6

Ok, thanks. I will get wet even in the boat!

I am a novice in comparison to some of you guys but I love the adrenaline rush when you see the conditions and think...should I!

My personality is always..go for it!

I am an average swimmer and can tread water but what if i land hard and knock my self out?

My mate is about more nervous than me and I know he will appreciate the right kit!

Obviously when family are on board, i'm very sensible but when they are not......

Get in touch if you are local to poole and want some fun next year!

I have a wife and two kids so I need to be safe! Just bought a radio and second kill cord and now I need the Lifejacket that is suitable for those days out.

Ideally I don't want something to bulky but it is to be used when conditions suggest it is required!
Old 12 December 2013, 00:31   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
hi - well done for asking questions here - there are a ton of experienced boaters posting here and some good advice to be had.
I am just curious if you have someone in the boat with you or a mate with another boat that comes out with you?
Someone being out with you with another boat will certainly make your trip safer.
Nothing wrong in enjoying some wave jumping, know you and your crafts limits and you will have fun am sure.
If your planning on going out alone, in choppy conditions, and blatting about in a SIB trying to wave jump, I would suggest the following kit.
1) Killcord
2) A lifejacket capable of turning you right side up if unconscious
If your wearing a dry suit, then something with about 275n of bouyancy
An Auto for sure, as Willk said, a Hammar firing mechanism will prevent
an accidental inflation if the jacket gets really wet, or the conventional auto system which can sometimes accidentally inflate if the jacket gets very wet.
Make sure it has crotch straps, a light and a spray hood.
3) Handheld VHF securely attached to your lifejacket with a lanyard
4) A PLB - registered with the Coastguard registry
If this is out of your budget, think about some pencil type mini flares, if you can afford both, thats great.
5) I would think seriously about a dry suit. Just remember the sea temperature around the UK isnt the warmest and if you end up in the water without suitable clothing you will get cold quickly.
A dry suit is going to keep you dry and with suitable clothing underneath, will keep you warm, and if your comfortable out on the water you will stay out longer.

I know...you only asked about a lifejacket, but
a lifejacket is only part of the safety kit, especially if your planning more adventurous trips.
Old 12 December 2013, 04:33   #8

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Engine: Yanmar
Spinlock deck vest. Do it right.
Old 12 December 2013, 07:54   #9

Check your boat insurance company is happy with your leisure time of jumping waves LOL 8-) sounds like could be an accident waiting to happen if your not careful.

Weve all accidently jumped waves im sure, it can hurt as well, plus you may have issues with over revving engine.

I feel your not really respecting the sea enouth, things can go wrong very quickly out there and can have serious implications. I wouldnt advise it as something which is regularly done and looked for, perhaps you want a jet ski instead or a surfboard. 8-)

If you go deliberately looking for big waves to jump in your smallish rib with your mate and you or your mate gets seriously hurt (god forbid) do you think you will be covered by your insurance company? ummmmm, errrrrrr, maybe not depends what could be proved I suppose, could have big life changing implications.

So I just think you need to rethink a tad, the sea can seriously bite you at times.
Old 12 December 2013, 11:51   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolandandallsea View Post

Get in touch if you are local to poole and want some fun next year!

!
I will / am always about and around the harbour..even in winter!

Maybe some double aerotec fun when things warm up :-)

If you want crew/ballast anytime just pm me ....happy to pass on anything I have learnt the hard way!
Old 12 December 2013, 12:14   #11

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gstnj View Post
Spinlock deck vest. Do it right.
+1
Old 12 December 2013, 19:25   #12

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice so far, really appreciated. I never go out alone, always have at least one person in the boat and really don't want to harm either of us or someone who may need to come save us!

I'm a novice boater but i know now that these aerotech's are very stable even in rough conditions and if I felt really unsafe I would head back! You have push things a little to find the limits and I really don't want to end up in the drink, if I can help it!

I would like to just go out a bit further and therefore feel that having the right equipment is vital, just in case. Heard too many stories of experienced boaters not making it back due to much confidence and not the right equipment!

Peter, we have met as I got a trailer off you in the summer and i would love to go out with another boat. Really want to do the around the isle of wight and back so up for that if you are next summer? I have a 15 2stroke so I will do my best to keep up!

I have life insurance, is that what you guys refer too? Didn't think I had to have boat insurance..... But will sort that if required?

I can swim ok but want a jacket that will keep me up should I go under in wavy conditions.

I have handheld VHF and am sorting a spare kill cord. Just doing my prep in time for the summer.....
Old 12 December 2013, 19:27   #13

Respect what you say boris... Which is why I am asking advice and getting prepared. Boristhenotsobold, hey! Lol
Old 12 December 2013, 20:26   #14

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
Might be an idea to get some boat insurance just in case you accidentally run a swimmer over or ram a sunseeker ?
Doesn't cost much and most harbourmasters won't even let you launch without it.
And for wave jumping in a little boat I'd suggest a dry suit,(unless its a lovely day in July, but even then a wetsuit) a full auto hammar lifejacket and a plb and vhf etc, and I'd be testing my killlcord about every ten minutes !!!
Cos sooner or later you might flip it.
Not necessarily a bad thing as long as you can laugh and climb back in.
Practice righting the boat ??
Ask an RNLI D class crew about how to get the engine going again perhaps ?
Oh and tie everything to the boat.
Old 12 December 2013, 20:31   #15

Thanks bosun, what's a plb?
Old 12 December 2013, 22:08   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
PLB - Personal Locator Beacon.
If you can afford the £200 odd quid, I really would recommend one.
Come to think of it ..I would recommend one even if you cant afford the £200 odd quid!
Old 13 December 2013, 05:54   #17

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
PLB - Personal Locator Beacon.
If you can afford the £200 odd quid, I really would recommend one.
Come to think of it ..I would recommend one even if you cant afford the £200 odd quid!
When I was asked what would I like for xmas,, and after your experience ,, it was a no brainier, I ave an old early version any way but things move so quickly these days,

As you know it's a life saver , thought of sitting in the drink all alone waiting to drift away to sleep, for the sake of 200 sods !,,
Old 13 December 2013, 06:55   #18

@MustRib you should go to all the PLB manufacturers and ask for a cut for all the promotion you've done ;-) !!

@boris No point asking a D-class crew how to restart an engine in a capsize as they have specifically modified engines to deal with a dunking. If a normal outboard is dunked, especially while running (don't think you could be sure it would be stopped at that point) you can pretty much write the engine off.

ref-insurance - b aware that a mate out with you might be quite happy doing some risky stuff till their leg gets hit by a spinning prop when the fall overboard. Then they might decide to sue you for being careless etc. You can have all the agreements in the world before you go out, but loosing a limb will change their opinions! Added to that if you were to accidentally force a sunseeker to maybe go aground to avoid hitting you they will hunt you down and claim all the repair costs etc. Their lawyer's bill is likely to be more than your entire boat cost...
Old 13 December 2013, 10:56   #19

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
When I was asked what would I like for xmas,, and after your experience ,, it was a no brainier, I ave an old early version any way but things move so quickly these days,

As you know it's a life saver , thought of sitting in the drink all alone waiting to drift away to sleep, for the sake of 200 sods !,,
+1

guess it's just down to picking the right one for what you want
Old 13 December 2013, 11:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolandandallsea View Post
Respect what you say boris... Which is why I am asking advice and getting prepared. Boristhenotsobold, hey! Lol
LOL, yes your right I should change my name, I was bold when I first got a boat, but after so many years of experiencing or hearing what can go wrong, getting suitable training, responding to various incidents when people have got in trouble and just regularly seeing people in boats with no life jackets and no idea being stupid I am less bold now than I used to be. Safety first on every trip out is my motto now. The sea can be cruel at times and its not just the sea you gotta worry about its;

The sea conditions
The weather
The forcast
The tide
The state of your boat
Your experience and who youve got with you
Your kit
and other boats and how they are being helmed around you.

If your new to boating I would recomend doing soem training, Powerboat Level 2, VHF and first aid as a starter, then if your really into it day skipper theory would be a good solid grounding. Powerboat Training based at cobbs quay is a good place to train, good bunch of people, go in and have a chat with them, they can suggest soem courses to take. It does make for a safer and more pleasurable boating experience getting some training in, but it also might make you worry more as you learn the risks and what to look out for. well worth it though.

If you want to read up on what can go wrong do a search on internet for boating accidents and look at the maritime agency incident reports. Will give you an appreciation of how quickly things can go wrong and lessons to learn.

Boristhenotsobold. LOL.