Old 25 September 2015, 10:59   #1

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
Leaking Yam 360S dilemma

I have a Yam 360S. Unfortunately it was over inflated on a very hot day 2 years ago and the front chamber now deflates slowly due to leaks at both ends of a short horizontal seam that runs across the blue bow section (on the inside of the boat) where it meets the vertical seams that join the grey fabric to the blue bow fabric.

It has been to the Rib Shop in Hampshire twice for them to fix (or bodge) it. The first time they merely stuck a lop sided big white oval patch over the whole H shaped seam. This had wrinkled when I unrolled the boat for use the following summer and leaked immediately down the wrinkle lines. Also, common sense tells me that you can't successfully stick a patch over a seam. I managed to run some glue down the wrinkles which enabled us to use it but it needed inflating every day.

I took it back and complained, thinking they'd do something better. They didn't - they just bled more glue down the seam and made a mess, then said:

"we have repaired the small leak that was coming from under the patch we fitted September last year and this is now airtight. On testing the patch we have noticed that the seams around the area are showing signs of porosity. Although very minor at present this may get worse with time and is something I am not happy to attempt repair on."

There are no other leaks and the seams are all airtight.

It spoilt 2 holidays and was still leaking this summer before we went away, so, determined to fix it, I bought some of that Polymarine latex stuff called Seamseal that you introduce via the valve, then inflate and roll the boat around. That worked and it held air but unfortunately it only lasted 2 days on holiday before deflating. Another spoilt holiday, slightly saved by applying Polymarine Sealflex (a kind of liquid patch) to the 2 points marked X where it leaks.

So, do I:

Put it in the rubbish/sell and buy another;
Attempt to fix it, if so how; or
Send it somewhere to be fixed, if so where. Polymarine said they'd look at it but the carriage to N Wales is £25 each way and there's no guarantee that they can fix it or that the fix will hold.

Advice appreciated
Old 25 September 2015, 11:39   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Over the early summer I repaired some seams and pin hole leaks on an old Aerotec and despite no prior experience with the proper 2-part glue and meticulous cleaning/prep the repairs went well and withstood extensive "testing" in bumpy conditions over two weeks of our holiday.

I'd expect to be able to easily make a repair to yours that would hold air properly... and for some years to come.

Can't understand it??
Old 25 September 2015, 11:40   #3

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
In reality the repairs already done are pretty poor and polymarines option is correct no matter where you send it there will be a carriage cost and it is only when seen that a repairer can decide whether they can repair it .As a company we would attempt the repair and if it did not work out properly we would discuss either a cheaper price if we had reduced the leak so as to be useable or no charge at all except carriage .
Paul Tilley RIB Tubes - Tilley Inflatable Design and Engineering Ltd - Devon Plymouth UK
Old 25 September 2015, 11:51   #4

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
In reality the repairs already done are pretty poor and polymarines option is correct no matter where you send it there will be a carriage cost and it is only when seen that a repairer can decide whether they can repair it .As a company we would attempt the repair and if it did not work out properly we would discuss either a cheaper price if we had reduced the leak so as to be useable or no charge at all except carriage .
Paul Tilley RIB Tubes - Tilley Inflatable Design and Engineering Ltd - Devon Plymouth UK
Thanks Paul, I may run it down to you when I'm next in Topsham visiting relatives.
Old 25 September 2015, 18:09   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Would the clam shell patches work in that area
Old 25 September 2015, 18:41   #6

Jeff clamshells are unlikely to work
Old 25 September 2015, 18:43   #7

hymerbeliever pop it in any time we are only 30mins from topsham was there 2 weeks ago at trouts boatyard