Old 28 July 2014, 18:25   #1

Length: under 3m
Launching wheels turning angle

Hello All

I was going to fix some trem launching wheels on to my zodiac FR285 however I was a bit concerned about the turning angle as the tiller appeared to hit the wheels. If a put the wheels any wider they have problem folding down as they hit the tubes on the way down.

How much turn space should the outboard have and is it normal for the outboard to hit the wheels when turning?

THanks
Old 28 July 2014, 19:51   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Typically they can be stored folded out to where they are leaning towards the tubes. That should offer you plenty of clearance.

Nick Hearne photo showing how to do it.

My launching wheels touch my outboard, but I can hit my stops locks on either side with just a little pressure on the tiller. So all they do is ease up on hitting the locks.
Old 28 July 2014, 20:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Typically they can be stored folded out to where they are leaning towards the tubes. That should offer you plenty of clearance.

Nick Hearne photo showing how to do it.

My launching wheels touch my outboard, but I can hit my stops locks on either side with just a little pressure on the tiller. So all they do is ease up on hitting the locks.
Are they the official zodiac wheels? I think I may be stuck because i bought the fold up down type which are unable to swing out to the side.
Old 28 July 2014, 21:08   #4

Well then you need to get them close enough to the tubes to squeak around them as you fold, them, and see if they will miss the motor. You do not want to loose steering. You should be able to use clamps to test for clearance.
Old 07 August 2014, 22:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Well then you need to get them close enough to the tubes to squeak around them as you fold, them, and see if they will miss the motor. You do not want to loose steering. You should be able to use clamps to test for clearance.
Just tried mounting the engine again to see how much steering i lost and its quite a bit. The wheel is a far as I can go without touching the tube.

Are these smaller boats smaller in transom width than the 3+ meter boats? I might look at getting the beachmaster or the offical zodiac wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_205707.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	97719  
Old 07 August 2014, 23:09   #6

In the picture you show it sure appears that they can be moved further outboard. As in at least two more inches towards the tubes. There is nothing wrong with touching the tubes as they fold down.

Much of the issue is your offset tiller. That also means you are only going to loose steering on one side.