I made my own transom wheels as I for one thought they were a bit costly and I have a limited amount of money that I can spend on all things boating and fishing.
I have an Avon rover 3-10 with an evinrude 6hp outboard, although when my brother isn't using it, a mercury 9.9hp (both 2 stroke).
I started by buying a pair of wheels and tyres from that well known auction site for about £12 I think. I then looked around my workshop to see what I had laying about in the way of materials suitable for the job.
I found an old ladder roof hook that used to clamp to the rungs to make an ordinary ladder into a roof one. This is made of 1" square section aluminium. It was no longer used as it tied up the ordinary ladder, plus I obtained a proper one in my last job
Next I found some aluminium channel that was just the right size (I don't seem to throw anything away) and kind of guessed some measurements and set about cutting it all to size.
The next problem was to make a stub axle to fit to the leg. I used a couple of M16 stainless bolts, washers and nuts for this but needed a big washer to stop everything touching the leg. This was made by using a 63mm hole saw and cutting two holes in a bit of 6mm ally plate. I then drilled a 16mm hole in the center and bingo, two washers. I then needed to make a bush for the bolts to fit the hole in the center of the wheels. This was made from some blue water pipe.
The aluminium channel was clamped to the transom, drilled and bolted with some M8 stainless bolts with some sikaflex being put into the holes first. I let the sikaflex go off a while before tightening it all up..
I used M10 bolts for the center one plus M8 bolts for the pins to hold the wheels up or down.
I changed the bolts for a couple of stainless pins attached to the transom with plastic covered wire trace (learned the lesson by dropping too many in the water) but have since bought some 9mm drop nose pins.
I have used these wheels for ages and they have been brilliant. Total cost under 20 quid, mainly as I had loads of bits laying around and was able to put my brain into gear for once.
I have since developed a different plan of action for the sib.
Every time I went out, I had to deflate it all, pack it in the car, then once home inflate it again to wash it all down, before letting it dry and packing it away again.
I decided to make a trailer for it!
The quick version of this story is I bought a 14ft sailing dinghy with combo trailer (good old ebay) for £59. Chucked dinghy in the barn, cut trailer up, welded bits on, made bunks etc, bit of paint and now I can leave it all inflated and ready to go at a moments notice. It even has a support for the outboard. I left the channel that was for the transom wheels and have a light board that clips into that (made from the rest of the old ladder hook).
I know the last bit is slightly off topic but that's how everything has evolved so far.