Old 14 September 2015, 09:49   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Launching - Waders or wetsuit trousers??

There was chat a few weeks back about what you wear in the SIB and I commented we were mostly summer users so it's swim shorts and beach trainers for me. But I'm wondering about extending our season a little.

I usually get wet to almost crutch level when launching which is no problem in summer as the shorts dry very soon.

But I'm thinking of cold weather options. I have all my upper waterproofs and layers sorted so it's just the waist down really.

I don't want old fashioned waders that have room for two so have been thinking of things like these...

BISON 4MM NEOPRENE CHEST WADERS ALL SIZES WITH FREE MOBILE PHONE DRY BAG & STUDS: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Peak UK Storm Pants Canoe Kayak Sea Whitewater paddle | eBay

BISON BREATHABLE STOCKING FOOT WAIST WADERS M,L XL,XXL FREE NEXT DAY UK DELIVERY | eBay

or something like these worn under my shorts...

Peak Neoskin Pants, Neoprene Trousers, Wetsuit Trouser, Kayak, Canoe, SUP, | eBay

Any thoughts?
Old 14 September 2015, 09:55   #2

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Make: FunYak
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
I think the wetsuit pants are a good idea, as if the worst happened and you found yourself in the water, you could still swim, need footies too though

Wouldn't fancy my chances swimming with waders
Old 14 September 2015, 09:58   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I think it depends where you launch and in what conditions - waders are only any good if you keep them dry inside, on the beach in waves it's pretty easy to get caught out/swamped and a pair of waders filled up cannot be much fun...
Old 14 September 2015, 10:18   #4

We choose to launch/recover at sheltered slips these days and only visit beaches mid outing with relatively calm conditions so I haven't had water higher than crutch level in years... so waist/chest wader trousers are a possibility. There is a certain attraction to them and being completely dry.

Not sure about the integral welly ones to be honest as that footwear looks a bit heavy for our type of sibbing... the waterproof sock design would probably be the way to go if I did get waders. In a way my favourites of the wader types are these or similar as they look the most like normal clothing...

BISON BREATHABLE STOCKING FOOT WAIST WADERS M,L XL,XXL FREE NEXT DAY UK DELIVERY | eBay
Old 14 September 2015, 11:42   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I always use old fashioned chest waders for my launch and recovery Fenlander . never had any issues with waves coming over them..but im not a short ass at 6 foot tall. Mine are a good quality rubber and with the boot built in.. but they not breathable. I find that if I sit in them for long periods .. I can sweat in them a bit..and when it evaporates.. they can work the same principle as a fridge works with evaporation.. it can get a bit chilly in them..so I roll them down ..or take them off in the boat. However I have room in the boat for them..either rolled down or stashed on the floor. I also have a wooden floor to stand when I put them on which is very stable compared to an airfloor.

If I was worried conditions were that bad I could end up swimming..I wouldn’t wear waders on those days when on the water. As others say..they are not the best thing to go swimming in.

All the large fishing boat guys who launch off shores with Warriors or Predators .. up our way seem to use chest waders so its not just me. I don’t fancy sitting in wet suit leggings as I had a wet suit for dinghy sailing....so can compare to that.

I think rather than wetsuit leggings..I would go for a full Flotation suit ..improves buoyancy.. very warm..and very waterproof. Cuffs at legs and arms restrict water flow a bit too. I use a floatation suit top..but because of waders..didnt buy the bottom half.

Perhaps worth look into flotation suits too .. as well as dry suits.. wetsuits and waders..many options to look at

I cant comment on the stocking type waders ..but if you were going that route..try for breathable ones..they say they are warmer..but I cant confirm that statement.
Old 14 September 2015, 11:55   #6

How do flotation suits work then? Do they have tight seals at all openings or do you need footwear that joins them.
Old 14 September 2015, 11:57   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i use mud boots [neoprene] over my musto suit & survival suit in calm conditions.
dry suit in any thing rough.i have used neoprene & cheap rubber waders but you have to be aware if they flood you can hardly walk you have to invert to empty them getting totally wet through. wet suits are ok but get uncomfortable after a bit and they can chafe unless you wear ladies tights [don't knock it till you try it].
cheers
Old 14 September 2015, 12:05   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
How do flotation suits work then? Do they have tight seals at all openings or do you need footwear that joins them.
mine has wrist seals but not on the legs i find my mud boots keep me fairly dry if the odd wave goes over the boot with the legs tucked in.
i like the dry suit to honest looking from all aspects best if you have a convenience zip or front entry if your on your own,if you fall in no trouble to swim in and get back in the boat.
Old 14 September 2015, 12:11   #9

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I have those bison neoprene waders. They are very warm compared to the nylon type and come up to my neck!
Order 2 sizes larger than your foot size though as the neoprene forms a sock inside the welly so takes up a lot of space.

I wouldn't want to go over with them but at least the neoprene offers a small amount of bouyancy over the nylon type. I generally take my waders off once I'm in the SIB, and put on salopettes and wellys.
Old 14 September 2015, 12:13   #10

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Think this is the best advert I have seen for flotation suits Fenlander..yup..its by Ragnail again..another crazy Scot

As Jeff says .. cant beat a drysuit for cold weather stuff though..and they are a lot cheaper nowadays too

Old 14 September 2015, 13:19   #11

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
I use a typoon dry-suit in winter but usually chest waders in summer.I Have bought loads of different types of wader over the years for fishing and boating by far the best are Bass boots made to measure last for years and years not cheap but well worth the money I wouldn't use anything else Bassboots.co.uk
I have no connection with the company other than being a very satisfied customer
Old 14 September 2015, 14:05   #12

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I allways use waders even if wearing a dry suit. I just like to leave getting wet for as long as possible as you stay warmer if dry. PS I mostly use my ribe for diving and snorkling.

TSM
Old 14 September 2015, 17:53   #13

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
I'm a surfer so I normally wear an old wetsuit out on the boat. They usually fall apart around the shoulder so I just cut the arms off and relegate it to boat use. Lots of good deals this time of year for summer suits, just add a pair of wetsuit boots for around £20-£30.
Old 14 September 2015, 18:45   #14

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I canoe as well and have a set of the Palm trousers. I combine this with the HH coat when required, dry cag when needed or swop out for the dry suit when really bad.

But this happens rarely as the dry trousers and coat combination works really well.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 18:55   #15

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
I usually launch from a relatively sheltered beach or a slipway and found stockingfoot breathable waders to be the most comfortable. Stocking foot is a better option for me then you can choose your footwear, even oversize cheap trainers may suit and be more comfortable than the boots many waders come with. Neoprenes can get v warm and you have more options with what you wear under breathables. Drysuit when it gets colder, though if you go down that route i would go for something with a neoprene neck collar rather than latex.
Old 14 September 2015, 19:39   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Not actual seals. They usually have some sort of "cuff" or restiction that stops the water rushing on quite to quick - thus reducing the swearing (and potentially life threatening cold shock) when you fall in. It also helps to keep the water in the suit so like a wetsuit it warms up. I'm a big fan of flotation suits, I don't usually go as deep as you though - I seem to have perfected the art of going just above my wellies! Every bloomin' time! Occassionally I'll need to go a bit deeper (usually if with the family) and even if I get mid thigh deep on launching the flotation suit keeps me warm for the rest of the day. There are some draw backs though, you'll be wet getting in the car (unless you get changed) whereas with some alternatives you'll just have to strip off the outer layer. Another is that on a warm day you are slowly steamed in your own juices. Finally when you take rain or spray over the top it can get down the neck so you aren't dry (but will warm up quickly).

For all weather Sibbing a drysuit is probably the ideal choice especially if you can afford a breathable one. I've never liked latex neck seals for more than an hour or so, and latex socks are very vulnerable to damage so for me these would push towards high end suits that can cost as much as an entry level SIB!

I use wetsuits for other activities and certainly for extending the season beyond shorts it would be an affordable choice. Beware though they can become a bit uncomfortable after several hours (I've never tried ladies hosiery!) and whilst flotation suits just look like hardcore oilies and so not totally our of place around most shore side villages/cafes you may feel conspicuous popping to get some icecreams or a pint of milk in your skin tight trousers!

I have a kayak dry top - I've always wondered whether the seal between dry trousers and dry tops was any good - I suspect spray/splash rather than swim resistant?
Old 14 September 2015, 19:51   #17

Town: gloucestershire
I boat year round and a dry suit is the business.
Old 14 September 2015, 19:59   #18

RIBase
I would have a look on kayak web sites they do lots of fishing kit for the sit on kayaks, get a surface suit cheaper usually have socks on but you can buy rock boots form dive stores or even Welles if you get hot not many days like that just jump int oggin to cool off but under garments are still important to protect from wind chill even in dry suits whilst underway.plnenty of talc on the seals to stop seals sticking and act as a lube between skin and seals.
Limo water sports
Out door GB
Kayaks & paddles
Wet suit outlet
To name a few
Old 14 September 2015, 20:39   #19

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave T35ae
Engine: Mercury 15
Me and the wife both have the Peak Storm pants teamed with a Peak cag as we also have kayaks. Breathable and waterproof so ideal for launching. They've never let water in yet and although I don't really feel the cold my wife has never complained of being cold with them on yet!
Old 14 September 2015, 20:52   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly111 View Post
They've never let water in yet ...
Is that just launching and spray or have you been for a proper "dip" ? I'm quite tempted...