Old 14 September 2015, 21:12   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Peak Storm pants

So what footwear do you use and does it need upsizing over normal?
Old 15 September 2015, 00:42   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Even out here (Aus) if I had to get wet every time I headed out I would give it a miss.

Dont any of you use trailer draw bar extenders and easy-load systems.Accessories

There are several variants to this Boat Latch - Blue Bottle Fishing

Jon
Old 15 September 2015, 06:37   #23

So... remembering I'm wading into water up to crutch deep at the start/finish of every trip and any interim beach visit... have I drawn the right conclusions?

Wetsuit trousers: Everything else can be worn as normal & might suit early autumn and spring.

Flotation suit: Not totally waterproof relying on ankle seals. Perhaps too warm on a day that warms up mid trip.

Dry trousers without integral "socks": Also not totally waterproof relying on ankle seals. Waist high ones perhaps most stylish choice.

Dry trousers with integral "socks": Waterproof but have to buy some oversize footwear.

Conventional waders: Properly waterproof but wellington a bit clumpy for an air floor. SIB.
Old 15 September 2015, 07:04   #24
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I'd go for wetsuit trousers when it's warm enough, and a drysuit in the winter.

I wouldn't bother with dry trousers. They'd do the job OK, but a decent pair of bib-style trousers is well on the way to the price of a full drysuit so I don't really see the point.

A floatation suit will not keep you dry when you're wading. The cuffs aren't seals and stop masses of water flushing through the suit but won't keep you dry.

I wouldn't consider waders myself as I'm not happy with the idea of them filling up with water if you stumble or accidently go in too deep. They're also likely to be super sweaty!
Old 15 September 2015, 07:07   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Even out here (Aus) if I had to get wet every time I headed out I would give it a miss.

Dont any of you use trailer draw bar extenders and easy-load systems.Accessories

There are several variants to this Boat Latch - Blue Bottle Fishing

Jon
Jon, some folks do use things like that (particularly if they launch at the same shallow site regularly), but the OP has a SIB so it probably not launching by trailer at all, and of course it doesn't account for getting wet at "lunchtime"* when going ashore on a beach. I'm not sure an extension actually keeps you dry unless there is a pontoon at the slip does it? That's going to be very restrictive. I think the only way you can stay dry with one requires two people doesn't it? I've always seen it as a way to keep the car away from salt water, on more solid ground... am I missing something - or are you doing a balancing act along the extension bar**?

* I'm certainly more likely to get wetter going ashore (and/or relaunching) on unknown shores where I'm not as sure of the depth/gradient and where the prop munching rocks are hidden.

** I've used two of these in my time and both were circular cross section (probably from Scaffold poles) - it might be easier with square section - although a slippy pole in any chop would probably mean I'd still want to be dressed for getting wet anyway.
Old 15 September 2015, 07:26   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Fenlander - I think JK's probably about right with his assessment - although a sweaty smelly set of waders left in your sib is possibly a good security measure for short trips ashore!

Just to help explain the difference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Flotation suit: Not totally waterproof relying on ankle seals. Perhaps too warm on a day that warms up mid trip.
Really not waterproof at all (certainly not for immersion, better ones are to rain) don't think of the ankle cuffs as "seals" they are intended to let water past just slow it down.
Quote:
Dry trousers without integral "socks": Also not totally waterproof relying on ankle seals. Waist high ones perhaps most stylish choice.
These are designed to be waterproof. User feedback seems to suggest there is some "seepage" but you shouldn't end up with a suit full of water.

Bear in mind that if you are wearing anything long term (i.e. not just launch / recovery) on the boat it will affect buoyancy / effectiveness of Lifejackets to turn you over and so you might need to look at bigger Newtons.
Old 15 September 2015, 07:53   #27

Thanks for those final thoughts guys. Decision made. I'll buy wetsuit trousers as they are probably the easy/cheap/right option for now. Perhaps think of the "Atlantic challenge" style gear if we SIB further into winter.

Going to order in a moment from Wetsuitoutlet... thanks for the link Jeff.
Old 15 September 2015, 12:29   #28

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave T35ae
Engine: Mercury 15
Poly, I went in for a "dip" at the weekend, thought I was in shallower water than I was and went in upto my neck! I didn't have anything tight on the cag around my waist or wrists and did get a little wet around my waist but that was it. We have Gul drysuits also and been in for a dip many a time with these and never got wet at all with these but we tend to wear the drysuits in the colder weather.
Old 16 September 2015, 14:36   #29

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Here is another option if you just want to stay dry when launching and landing from knee deep water:

https://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Produ...RSHOE&pid=RTK8
Old 16 September 2015, 18:25   #30

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
I use palm drytrousers worn with a dry CAG on top to make a semi dry - dry suit type thing.

Works a treat!!

Jacket- £179
Trousers -£200

Not the cheapest but mine are good quality ones as I use them for work too.
Old 16 September 2015, 18:58   #31

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thanks for those final thoughts guys. Decision made. I'll buy wetsuit trousers as they are probably the easy/cheap/right option for now. Perhaps think of the "Atlantic challenge" style gear if we SIB further into winter.

Going to order in a moment from Wetsuitoutlet... thanks for the link Jeff.
Fenlander
Been at work so might be too late but have a look on eBay some dry suits on there one in particular £30 needs new seals not hard to change them out good winter project.some around £100 you can buy new £200 depends on budget but a good secondhand one will be ok suits don't make big money if your prepared to wait.

Cheers
Old 21 September 2015, 08:41   #32

Just an update...

Bought these in the end...

2015 Palm Blaze Thermo Fibre Neoprene Pants Black Na421 10474 - Trousers - Canoe Kayak - by Palm

In theory I was a Medium but they were wickedly tight and a little shorter than expected so returned and received a large which are spot on. Only been worn in the house but they seem well made with nicely restrained logos which suits my modest look.