Old 31 December 2012, 13:20   #1
maz

Town: Fingringhoe
Make: Plastimo
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner 5HP
Launching question West Mersea

Hi all, I need a bit of advice; how long either side of HT have I got (on an average tide) to launch and retrieve from the pontoon area at West Mersea? I have launched from Rowhedge area and fished the Colne but I fancy a bash at the Blackwater and maybe even NW Knoll if the conditions are right.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 31 December 2012, 15:53   #2

Length: 5m +
I'm presuming you mean the hard located to the right of the pontoon, nearest the strood? If so you can manage it at any state of tide to be honest, you just need to be careful of the soft bits. I've put boats in the water when the tide is so low the pontoon isn't even floating. To be safe though, I'd say don't bother 1 hour either side of low water, any other time should be all good. Steer clear of the left hand side of the beach closest the pontoon because the fishermen leave crates of oysters and equipment there and they end up submerged, lots of people end up catching their props on them.

If you don't know Mersea well then don't even bother with the other beach unless it's high tide. Absolute nightmare, we got out trailer stuck there at the start of the year and I know Mersea really well. The army got a massive lorry stuck last year too.
Old 31 December 2012, 16:28   #3
maz

Thanks for the reply, I was talking about the T shaped pontoon area in general. So I guess the hard between the pontoon and the dabchicks sailing club would be best. I think I'll take a look at very low water to give me an idea about whats submerged round there. It seems a better alternative to launching from Fingringhoe where I live; 2 hours either side of HT or you're stuck!
Old 07 January 2013, 14:05   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Is the beach at Stone not accessible at all states? Granted you can end up up to your armpits in smelly black mud if you put a foot wrong on a spring low, but most of it is shingle.
Old 07 January 2013, 14:39   #5
maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Is the beach at Stone not accessible at all states? Granted you can end up up to your armpits in smelly black mud if you put a foot wrong on a spring low, but most of it is shingle.

Do you mean the beach at Stone Point in East Mersea? If so then the problem is that you can't get a vehicle anywhere near it!
Old 07 January 2013, 21:46   #6

Stone as in Stone. Southern shore,Further downriver than marconi SC, not as far as bradwell. Pub on breakwater at the end of the road.
Old 07 January 2013, 21:49   #7
maz

Oh Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I don't know it but I will have a look on the chart.
Old 07 January 2013, 23:28   #8

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
Why not try Brightlingsea ? It's close to you.
Old 08 January 2013, 07:33   #9
maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppenman View Post
Why not try Brightlingsea ? It's close to you.
I have launched from there before but parking is a pain and ironically I have a fairly long drive to get there compared to WMersea; it's not far by boat though!
Old 12 January 2013, 21:27   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Funny you should have asked this Maz as I've just logged in to ask the same question.

Taking a holiday cottage in the summer just a few yards up from Dabchicks YC in West Mersea. We'll keep the inflatable at the cottage and wheel it down the road on transom wheels each time we launch. Advice from another boaty forum says to launch down the side of the RNLI boathouse on the area which may or may not be controlled by Peter Clarkes boatyard.

Any other tips from anyone about boating in that area?
Old 14 January 2013, 22:50   #11
maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Funny you should have asked this Maz as I've just logged in to ask the same question.

Taking a holiday cottage in the summer just a few yards up from Dabchicks YC in West Mersea. We'll keep the inflatable at the cottage and wheel it down the road on transom wheels each time we launch. Advice from another boaty forum says to launch down the side of the RNLI boathouse on the area which may or may not be controlled by Peter Clarkes boatyard.

Any other tips from anyone about boating in that area?
Hi Fenlander, I went down at Low Tide and had a scout about. The hard in Peter Clarkes boatyard is indeed the best spot. I enquired about launching from there and was told that as long as you don't block the area with vehicles and trailers they are fine with people using it.
Thanks for the advice on this subject people.
Old 15 January 2013, 08:20   #12

Ahhh good man. If this link works is the slip down the gap with the RNLI keep clear signs or the gap in the boats to the left as seen in streetview? What was it like at low tide, I guess the hard ends in mud? Does it look like normal size transom wheels will be OK?

mersea - Google Maps
Old 15 January 2013, 11:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I guess the hard ends in mud?
Everything ends in mud round that corner of the world!!!! Whole areas of water dissappear for hours at a time. Part of the reason I moved back north!

Joking aside, having said that - SIB is probably the best way to cruise that area - plenty of little creeks with next to no water depth to explore.
Old 15 January 2013, 11:34   #14
maz

That's the place. It's compacted gravel so wheels are fine. At very low water it gets sticky but I'd just give it a miss for 2 hours either side of LT. It's used by local fishermen but I saw several private boats being trailer launched and retrieved. At busy times parking may be an issue...
Old 16 January 2013, 07:53   #15

>>>Everything ends in mud round that corner of the world!!!!

Indeed... we've been going to the West Coast of Scotland over the past 20yrs for our boating holidays... always chosen places with clean slipways and beaches that stay sand all the way down to low water.

You're right though than an inflatable will make the best of the Mersea Island area as we can always row/paddle in just inches of water if I get the tides wrong.

Thanks again for the extra info Maz. I'm not going to launch near low water so hopefully will avoid the worse mud. Parking not an issue for the holiday as the cottage we'll use is just yards from the seafront and we'll set the boat up there.
Old 02 August 2013, 11:06   #16

Thought I'd update as we are nearing the end of our West Mersea holiday. This info relates to using a sib with transom wheels in the summer.

The hard/slip next to the RNLI shed is indeed useable at all states of the tide and the surface is packed gravel so an easy wheel down to the water, we never saw any mud at the slip end (plenty surrounding you at low tide though.

We didn't go near the main wide slip/hard that is shown on Boatlaunch opp the old lifeboat shed, muddy on and off for much of its length and very uninviting.

The pontoon was useable even at low water, just the very end of the T though as the rest is aground.

Decent toilets and wash tap at the top of the pontoon open to 8pm.

Small car park at top of pontoon is £2.50 for all day. Busy in the warmer days but get there at 8.30am or after 6pm and there are spaces.

Once you've had a few days in the area there are other roads just off the front you find where you can park free and assemble the boat then wheel it a couple of minutes walk to the slip.

There are two decent waterside cafes and a pub with food just yards from the pontoon. Also a very well stocked chandlers opposite the slipway.

There is a blanket 8knt speed limit along the whole estuary and creeks so you have to get out to open water to get on the plane. That is apart from a very short derestricted area at the top of one creek which seems to be a jetski/skiing/powerboat fun area. In truth the percentage of such craft in the West Mersea area is tiny, it is all serious sailing both dinghy and larger craft, sea fishing charter boats or local fisherman.

There are quite a few quiet small beaches to visit in the boat, some with no road access so nice and peaceful.

All in all an excellent place for sibbing.
Old 25 August 2013, 18:10   #17

Only just found time to upload some images....

Excellent modern pontoon and one of two decent cafes a minutes walk from slip/pontoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontoon.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	84619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cafe.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	84620  
Old 25 August 2013, 18:15   #18

Good hard shingle slip at medium low water... and second image at about the lowest we found it (one with 4WD launching orange rib where you can see the guys are wearing trainers so not that muddy).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slip low water.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	84621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slip lower tide.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	84622  
Old 25 August 2013, 18:18   #19

Final images: Byelaws on sign... Leaving West Mersea in our Honwave... slipway area taken from end of pontoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Byelaws.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	84623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaving Mersea.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	84624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slipway from pontoon.jpg
Views:	835