Old 18 July 2013, 20:05   #41

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
Thanks guys, sounds good - I was worried about the damage that inflating/deflating all the time might do, but then I guess it can equally stress the boat if its left inflated. Can you get away with only partially deflating it?

I'm tied between the 3.2 and the 3.8, generally it'll only be two of us onboard but its nice to have lots of room, and to have the capability to carry lots of people at times! I don't suppose any of you are unwrapping yours anytime soon to take a look? No-one stocks them locally to look at, very frustrating!
Go for the 3.8, you'll be surprised how much stuff you will end up carrying.

I've got a 3.8 ali floor so it's heavier than the air floor and 2 of us can just lift it on to the roof of my van.
Old 18 July 2013, 20:40   #42

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
I owned the 3.8 air floor for 4 years and went everywhere in it on both coasts of Cornwall. Go for the 3.8 without a doubt it's better in the sea you can carry more and any weight difference is negligible.
Old 18 July 2013, 21:58   #43

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Quote:
Thanks guys, sounds good - I was worried about the damage that inflating/deflating all the time might do, but then I guess it can equally stress the boat if its left inflated. Can you get away with only partially deflating it?

I'm tied between the 3.2 and the 3.8, generally it'll only be two of us onboard but its nice to have lots of room, and to have the capability to carry lots of people at times! I don't suppose any of you are unwrapping yours anytime soon to take a look? No-one stocks them locally to look at, very frustrating!
Bridger marine down in Exeter has just about every Honwave pumped up on display. Not all that far from Bristol, I got my package from them. www.johnbridgermarine.co.uk
Old 19 July 2013, 11:30   #44

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Thanks everyone, definitely going for the T38 now, better to have more room than not enough, and if its this easy to deflate then I'll just put the rear car seats down and carry it in the car, or get a roof box and stick it in there instead

Quite excited now! The other thing which looks useful are the wheels which attach permanently to the boat and can fold up/down - are these expensive and are they worthwhile?

Still tied between 4str and 2str, my preference is to 4str in terms of sound and ease of servicing (I hate mixing fuels!), perhaps I need to see a good marine 2str running.
Old 19 July 2013, 18:48   #45

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Would be a bit hard to lift one into a roof box.

Mine goes ok into the back of my golf although needing a bigger car.

2 stroke seem to be lighter, more powerful and less maintaince because it doesn't have engine oil or a timing belt. Come service time and all it really needs is a set of plugs,impellor and fresh gear box oil
Old 19 July 2013, 21:20   #46

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
i went through all the roof boxes at halfords they were suprisingly helpful and opened them up .......it wouldn`t fit so used me box trailer instead as i needed 2 seats in the back of the car
Old 20 July 2013, 00:24   #47

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Quote:
Thanks everyone, definitely going for the T38 now, better to have more room than not enough, and if its this easy to deflate then I'll just put the rear car seats down and carry it in the car, or get a roof box and stick it in there instead

Quite excited now! The other thing which looks useful are the wheels which attach permanently to the boat and can fold up/down - are these expensive and are they worthwhile?

Still tied between 4str and 2str, my preference is to 4str in terms of sound and ease of servicing (I hate mixing fuels!), perhaps I need to see a good marine 2str running.
I bought a brand new 4 stroke and kinda ended up thinking it was a mistake. I didn't want the smell, or noise of a 2 stroke and was attracted to the 5 year warranty of a new engine. It turned out that transporting it was difficult because of the weight and that it can only be laid down on one particular side. The cost of servicing to keep the warranty was absurd; nearly 150 quid for the first service (which had to be done within 3 months or 20 hours use even if you hadn't used it). The second service was over 200 quid.

I have recently sold my SIB and gone for a small cruiser that has a 2 stroke. I would change that to a 4 stroke if funds permitted, but if I bought another SIB I'd definitely put a 2 stroke on it.

Different strokes for different boats
Old 20 July 2013, 07:17   #48

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As above, 2 stroke all the way on a SIB. See hundreds of other similar topics like this over the years, advice is always the same! Current one here has more:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/newbie-...ost-56680.html
Old 20 July 2013, 09:08   #49

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
+1 for the two strokes on a sib ! Lighter, easier to transport with a little more instant acceleration.
Admittedly mixing is a pita but a reasonable sized tank makes for a lot of playtime...
Old 22 July 2013, 07:58   #50

Very useful, looks like it'll be a 2str after-all sorry to have hijacked this thread, I'll carry on over here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/newbie-...t-56680-2.html
Old 01 August 2013, 13:12   #51

For any Bristol/Bath SIBers, join this Facebook group for some localised fun/events!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/342180869248347