Old 04 July 2013, 15:31   #21

Done some research, Lyme Regis is a little further but not much, what has nicer beaches? shallow slipway sounds good as we have not managed to get launching trailer in time for this weekend and may have to carry the outboard down to boat whilst its in water so Lyme may be a good shout!
Old 04 July 2013, 15:32   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130704_163148.png
Views:	312
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	82411
Old 04 July 2013, 16:28   #23

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Hi James PM me if you are still interested in my Trolley wheels?
Adam
Old 04 July 2013, 19:39   #24

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Lyme is only 10-15 mins from Eype and has a sandy beach. Tides are early/late at the mo, so launch before 9am or after 3pm this weekend. If you launch early, you can use the pontoon that would give all day access. I will be around at the weekend, so pm me if you need a hand.
Old 08 July 2013, 12:02   #25

Exe treme, Lyme was brilliant! What a stunning beach to go to with the boat, everyone at the slipway were really helpful, harbour master was too and didn't charge me to launch spent two days in the scorching hot sun on the boat feels like I've come back off holiday very busy on Sunday as I got there later and it was nearly impossible to park but well worth it all in the end! Adamn I will find out where I am working on that Monday and I will give you a shout beforehand to sort it out.
Old 08 July 2013, 15:49   #26

Hi James. Glad you enjoyed it. I was in the water on Sunday as well, as there was no room on land! You are right, Graham, Mike and the harbour crew are great at Lyme.
Think I was opposite you on the pontoon.and was that you in the BMW?
Old 09 July 2013, 10:03   #27

Yes it was, what do you have?
Old 09 July 2013, 14:33   #28

We were in a 5.35 Xpro. Light grey tubes, grey hull. We were on the pontoon when you came in on Saturday.
Old 11 July 2013, 13:36   #29

Nice I'll have to look out for you next time, I'm going to try get back down there this summer! Know of any other beaches and harbours that are worth a visit? Was ideal for girlfriend and friends with the kids as it was easy to get on and off with the pontoon.
Old 15 July 2013, 15:59   #30

Hi again
Good luck gettng near Lyme in the school hols. For a jaunt of a different kind, and not much further away, have you considered Poole Harbour? You can experience the entire harbour and beyond in a couple of hours, and there are plenty of lovely beaches to land on such as Shell Bay etc. If you don't mind a slow jaunt down river to get there, I recommend Redcliffe Farm campsite. It has its own slipway and small jetty, with parking for car and trailer adjacent to it. I have launched several Sibs and a couple of 5m Ribs from there with no problems. Some dont like the slow river trip but I am an old git and quite like the chill out. Another benefit is Wareham town 10 mins walk along the river. Was there last week, going again in a couple of weeks.
Old 18 July 2013, 12:48   #31

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Hey James - I'm also Bristol based and looking at buying a Honwave T35 AE at the moment, very interested in your experiencing tootering around Bristol Harbour as these are the first waters that I'd like to venture into!
Old 18 July 2013, 13:37   #32

Just checked that campsite on google maps looks like a cracking destination! I could have a couple drinks and not have to worry about driving the motor too, how long would you say it takes to get from the campsite right through the harbour? And to be honest I'm use to the slow trips up and down the river, as long as the suns out im happy!
Hi Sergeant sounds good mate! To be honest I have not yet launched from the harbour I lower the boat in from the bank on feeder road and usually head up towards beases tea gardens, checkers, jolly sailor ect, but I sometimes head into town its good fun and theres a few nice places to stop off for food & drinks, also you can see a painting of Banksys thats only viewable by boat so keep your eyes peeled
Old 18 July 2013, 13:48   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1990 View Post
Hi Sergeant sounds good mate! To be honest I have not yet launched from the harbour I lower the boat in from the bank on feeder road and usually head up towards beases tea gardens, checkers, jolly sailor ect, but I sometimes head into town its good fun and theres a few nice places to stop off for food & drinks, also you can see a painting of Banksys thats only viewable by boat so keep your eyes peeled
Ahhh sounds good, is it tricky to launch like that? I wouldn't have wheels or trailer of any sort at this stage - sounds quite fun, so you can go all the way from the feeder road stretch into the central harbour area? I'm assuming you need to pay the license and day-insurance too? Sounds fun!
Old 18 July 2013, 14:30   #34

Yes you can, and I've asked the local marinas and aparently its not compulsory to have insurance or anything in our district, its all down to the area I believe but as you know im quite new to this also and for £46 for a years insurance thanks to the chaps that recommend Craftinsure you can't go wrong! Launching the boat is easy with two people the hard part is lifting the outboard in and fitting it! I have a 15hp four stroke so its heavy and very awkward, not at all ideal. What outboard do you have?
Old 18 July 2013, 14:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1990 View Post
Yes you can, and I've asked the local marinas and aparently its not compulsory to have insurance or anything in our district, its all down to the area I believe but as you know im quite new to this also and for £46 for a years insurance thanks to the chaps that recommend Craftinsure you can't go wrong! Launching the boat is easy with two people the hard part is lifting the outboard in and fitting it! I have a 15hp four stroke so its heavy and very awkward, not at all ideal. What outboard do you have?
Nothing at the moment, I'm at the point of purchasing the boat first, the outboard will come second

I'm actually looking to purchase the same boat as you T38IE2 - but need to transport it either in the car or on top of it on roofbars - I'm not fond of the idea of inflating/deflating every time so preferably would keep it inflated and transport it on the roof - have you tried this?
Old 18 July 2013, 14:57   #36

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Inflating or deflating isn't an issue if you have the correct pump. A decent footpump from a RIB or SIB supplier with a large gauge will be surprisingly quick. Esp in the deflate mode, which is what I assume you are wary of doing. A surprising number of people don't use the pump to deflate but simply roll their boats up or roll on them etc.
It means you can chuck ( carefully place ) in the boot, just don't lay the OB on top straight away, let it cool or place it on a board.
Old 18 July 2013, 15:01   #37

Yes, I have an estate and thats what I do but its only a very short trip from my garage to the feeder you can do it if you drive slowly but again its not ideal.
Old 18 July 2013, 15:06   #38

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Fair point. My trip was 220 miles and it only ever took under 15 minutes from boot open to underway and vice versa. As long as you've got the sequence correct and haven't left any stringers behind (ahem!).
Old 18 July 2013, 15:09   #39

Thanks guys, sounds good - I was worried about the damage that inflating/deflating all the time might do, but then I guess it can equally stress the boat if its left inflated. Can you get away with only partially deflating it?

I'm tied between the 3.2 and the 3.8, generally it'll only be two of us onboard but its nice to have lots of room, and to have the capability to carry lots of people at times! I don't suppose any of you are unwrapping yours anytime soon to take a look? No-one stocks them locally to look at, very frustrating!
Old 18 July 2013, 19:48   #40

Make: Honwave t38
Engine: mariner 25 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post

I'm tied between the 3.2 and the 3.8, generally it'll only be two of us onboard but its nice to have lots of room, and to have the capability to carry lots of people at times! I don't suppose any of you are unwrapping yours anytime soon to take a look? No-one stocks them locally to look at, very frustrating!
Here is a video of the 3.8 , it gives you an idea of size, I wouldn't be to keen on putting it on the roof of a car though, it's a bit big for that IMO...