Old 29 July 2011, 08:42   #1

Town: Blackpool
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15fmh
Launch Wheels For Aerotec

Which wheels would you recommend for a Bombard 380 Aerotec? My boat came with plastic flip up wheels. These are still in the box and I don't want to fit them. Really after the large inflatable type. Not sure if I want the Bombard/Zodiac onces as I understand they have to come off when the boat is in use. Then what do you do with them? Although I have seen a picture of somebody who inverts them so they do stay attached but I can't see how this can be done. Anyone know? Also at £250ish I would need to find some used ones.

There are the ones on ebay that do flip up and look ideal - around £90. Just looking again at them though and the legs look a little short for an Aerotec as it has a deep V shape at the back. They would have to be fitted low down but then when flipped up the wheels themselves may catch on the top of the transom. Anyone fitted these? Have seen a few sets come up second hand which makes me think they might not be that good as people sell them on.

Anyone got any suitable wheels for sale in good condition?

Thanks

Matt
Old 29 July 2011, 09:40   #2

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
the zodiac wheels can be brought inside the boat then screwed back on from the outside with the wheels laying on the tubes
but saying that the swing up wheels are much beettter i had some on my 420 and now would like to fit some to my 380 when i finally get to sort some out , did here the trem ones are good
i could post a picy if needed as i still have my boat inflated in the garden building
Old 29 July 2011, 10:19   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
My previous Zodiac Mk.1 had the proper Zodiac wheels with big tyres, the same type the Aerotec takes and as you say £250 new. They are the ultimate in strength, a class above all the generic wheels in this respect, and as you want the legs are long so they get the boat well off the ground. Usually fetch around £100 used but make sure any you buy still have the correct fixing winder bolts... £20+ to buy and a standard bolt doesn't really work as well.

They are not flip up friendly as said above but will stow fixed to the transom, suits me though as I never ever go to sea with the wheels. I launch and put them back in the car.

Just one negative of them, there is so much buoyancy in those large tyres they can be a pig to fit with the boat in the water when you get back to recover it, they keep trying to pop to the surface before you've managed to engage the bottom slide-in fixing.

On my current Cadet Fastroller I have the other model genuine Zodiac wheels (£150) which have the same long strong legs but with slightly smaller tyres. These are perfect, the smaller tyres and a slightly less critical bottom fixing make them much easier to fit while in the water prior to recovery.

I did buy some £100 generic ones first for my Fastroller but they were a bit flimsy, poor quality control meant the wheels were tight on the axles and most important the legs were too short meaning the tyres hit and rubbed on the underside of the boat floor when you moved it about on a slipway. Sent them back for a full refund.
Old 30 July 2011, 07:29   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
the Trem manufactured wheels are by far the best, little steep tho at £150 approx but easy to fit sturdy and flip up with out unscrewing things.come with wheels barrow sized wheels and tyres which are ideal for sand etc. if I bought another one then I would get a set, as have tried the alternatives and not good..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799_2.JPG
Views:	1434
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	61207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.JPG
Views:	958
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	61208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	61209  
Old 30 July 2011, 13:06   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
If you are a dab hand at making things and you have access to suitable SS channel/box section then it's a simple job to make something better than virtually all the (overpriced?) stuff on the market. All you need is two pieces of SS channel fixed to the transom with three holes. Then a piece of box section to fit in the channel. It pivots on the central hole with a removable pin and then locks with a second removable pin in the upper or lower hole in the channel. You weld a heavy duty SS bolt (of the correct diameter) to the box as a stub axle for the wheel (or even bolt it through). This is how the Zodiac ones are made and they can easily be made heavier (or lighter duty).

Wheels here:

pneumatic wheels | eBay
Old 30 July 2011, 13:17   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Been searching for a pic to illustrate them but found this topic which says it all really!:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/launchi...diy-25832.html
Old 01 August 2011, 09:27   #7

Town: Swindon
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Outboard 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Just one negative of them, there is so much buoyancy in those large tyres they can be a pig to fit with the boat in the water when you get back to recover it, they keep trying to pop to the surface before you've managed to engage the bottom slide-in fixing.
I had this problem too, so I removed the valve and half filled the inner tubes with water the inflated again to cut down on the buoyancy. They are a lot easier to use now
Old 03 August 2011, 15:48   #8

matt have you fitted your trem wheels using the original bombard/zodiac wheel stud at the bottom of the transform
Old 03 August 2011, 18:43   #9

Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
I just say hi here because I'm also looking for wheels and want to get mails when someone says something.

I've seen someone in Gothenburg who makes good looking wheels that just folds up, looks good at the picture. Perhaps I will try to find their website.

Oh, and it looks like mickey mouse is sitting in back of the boat when you have them folded up!
Old 08 August 2011, 14:35   #10

Still looking for some of these wheels for my Aerotec. Have spent ages on ebay and Google to find the correct Trem ones Matt has. They obviously flip up but lock down with a fitting at the bottom of the transom. I think Matt has used the original Bombard bolt type thing as fitted to all Aerotecs for the OEM wheels at the bottom of the transom. Matt can you confirm please if you read this.

Trem look like they make at least 3 types according to their catalogue that all share the same or very nearly same picture so hard to tell which ones are the right ones. All share the same spec apart from weight they can carry - 100 - 150 - 180kg. Have found these at Seamark Nunn at the best price but hard to decided if they are right.

Seamark Nunn.com Discount Marine Equipment: Transom Wheels

Wheel colours appear to be different to the ones Matt has but that might be a red herring as they may come with which ever wheel Trem are using at point of manufacture rather than the correct ones to the photograph.

Asking sales staff on the phone is difficult as I get the impression that they haven't got a clue what I am talking about. I think Trem make these for Honwave under the Honwave brand so have been looking at OEM Honwave ones too but as they are Honda they already have a premium added.

As they will have to be mail order really need to make sure I get this right as posting them back if incorrect will be expensive due to size and weight.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08 August 2011, 16:11   #11

i dont think they are trem. i might be wrong, but i cant see the bottom fixing on them, they look more like the cheap ebay version you can pick up for around £80.00
matt i also want to know if the bottom wheel fixing locates in the orig bombard stud
the cheapest i have seen genuine trem is £130 inc free delivery but thye were out of stock
a devon shop has them for £145.00 and r in stock
Old 08 August 2011, 21:21   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Do these use the original mounting points? Or do you need to drill the transom?
Old 09 August 2011, 08:28   #13

you need to drill the transform at the top 4 holes as i can remember , but i think you can use the original bottom stud or drill a new one not absolutely sure about the boittom one though as when i fitted them to a 420 i left enough room to still be able to put the original zodiac wheels on just incase i ever needed to .
they were easy enough to fit though
Old 10 August 2011, 19:23   #14

Town: leeds
Make: aerotec
Engine: outboad 30hp
Zodiac wheels are great but not infalable lost the mounting bung out of the transom a month ago then a wheel off the back while travelling up the Sound of Iona a couple of weeks ago. had to buy another pair £250....ouch!! mounting lugs were £20.
Old 11 August 2011, 15:19   #15

Typical!

Decided on the Trem ones like the other Matt's. Nobody I have found on Google have them in stock. Aquafax are the distributor and get them from Trem in Italy. Aquafax don't have stock and I'm told Trem need to get some more made. Italy are all on their holidays for a month now! So expected delivery is end Sept. My local chandler is getting me some for a good price. These are the 180kg wheels. There are a few different types if you check but very similar. These ones definately attach at a stud at the bottom of the transom. Hopefully the one attached to the Bombard is the same as the one that comes in the kit with the Trem wheels.Then I can use that rather than having to change it or having 2 lots of studs on the back.

If anybody does find any or is selling their Zodiac ones let me know. End of Sept is end of season and a bit cold for me to Sib in the winter.
Old 11 August 2011, 20:50   #16

Inflatable Boat Accessories these had trem in stock when i enquired earlier in the week
Old 12 August 2011, 08:50   #17

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
I think these look brilliant, I would get a set of these for sure - pity about the price!!

Boat Wheels, Inflatable Boat, Inflatable Boat Wheels, Beach Wheels, launching Wheels, Boat Launching Wheels, Dinghy Wheels, Transom Wheels - BEACHMASTER Boat Wheels, Dinghy Wheels
Old 15 August 2011, 09:49   #18

Town: Vermilion, Ohio
Boat name: Red Leppelin
Make: Achilles
Engine: none...yet
MMSI: What's that?
Launch Wheels and Trim Tabs

Is it possible to mount both a set of trim tabs and launch wheels on a transom?
Old 18 August 2011, 16:49   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet-Jester View Post
I think these look brilliant, I would get a set of these for sure - pity about the price!!
The Beachmaster wheels have been discussed several times, but the main sticking point apart from price is that they don't have a way to make them easily removable.
Old 19 August 2011, 12:17   #20

I have found some Trem wheels in stock for up to 180kg. Best part is they are the cheapest I have seen. £109.99 Link below.

Trem Launching Wheels - From £99.99 - Gael Force Marine

Does say upto 180kg so must be the right ones. I phoned the order through as there is a choice of the smaller model too, but when you change the model the stock number didn't change on the website. Also wanted to be 100% on them having them in. Have been told they have one set left so if Dino is still after some, give them a ring. P&P reasonable at £6.99.