Old 18 May 2017, 06:53   #1

Make: aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Lauch wheels Question

Hi , I have a Aerotech 380 with 9.8 2stroke tohatsu . I had the original zodiac cadet launch wheels the galvanised ones . I haven't really got on with these , I don't like how they are rusting already , also very heavy and the shaft is straight so the fulcrum is not ideal and I find the boat very heavy to lift from the front . I fancy some new wheels of a different design , ideally pop up and down . Also I have heard ones that curve slightly under the transom will be a lot easier to lift the point as it brings the balance forward and negates the weight of the motor slightly.
I would ideally like aluminium for weight saving as I have some long hard solo launches, but no one seems to make such a set in aluminium .
So ive narrowed it down to these .
NEW Large Boat Folding Launching Wheels Rib Inflatable + Bolts Stainless Steel | eBay

Stainless Steel Dinghy Launching Wheels - Dinghy Wheels and Trolleys - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing

Trem Launching Wheels | Gael Force Marine
Old 18 May 2017, 06:55   #2

My question is , do the larger trem ones curve under the transom , its hard to tell from the picture. And also how hard are the trem ones to remove for packdown and what does it leave on the transom , its really not clear atall from the one picture. Thanks guys , Will
Old 18 May 2017, 07:21   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
From your first post...

The first set of wheels are short, do not engage with the pre fitted buttons on the Aerotec and seem to curve away from the transom.

The second set are the correct Trems which are well made, engage with the transom button and yes they do curve (slightly) under the transom.

The third set are the same as the second set... except they are a light duty version and do not engage with the transom button.

So if you want fold up wheels it's set two for me.

Even with the Zodiac wheels I've found the nose weight fine even hauling long distances along the road... as long as during the haul you move the fuel tank and any other kit you're carrying to just inside the transom then spread it all out where you want it at the slipway.
Old 18 May 2017, 08:19   #4

Fenlander thanks, that's very good info. So it looks like the second set . Do you know how easy they are to remove and fit for a fold down of the boat ? Yes I normally actually leave my fuel tank and anchor in the car and come back for them , but I still felt like it was a struggle ,maybe im weak !
Old 18 May 2017, 08:31   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Oh yes you did ask. Just one pin per side to remove so the leg can come off to pack boat up. You are left with the brackets on the transom which I cover with a bit of sponge, carpet, an old glove etc to make 100% sure it doesn't rub on the tube material in storage/transit.

See the image in post #36...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/trem-hd...tec-69303.html
Old 18 May 2017, 12:52   #6

Brilliant that's extremely helpful ,