Old 24 January 2011, 19:17   #1

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Confirmative Jim
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Rude 35
Lake District Campsites

Hi all.

I'm planning a summer trip to the lakes. We want to camp right on the shore of any of the lakes, preferably Windermere, due to its shoreside hotels for lunch n ales. We want to be able to beach/slip launch the sib by hand from the campsite. I know of one campsite on Ullswater; Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club Site. Does anyone have any recommendations for any others. They can be as basic as they come! Many thanks.

Adam
Old 24 January 2011, 19:41   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmiffy View Post
Hi all.

I'm planning a summer trip to the lakes. We want to camp right on the shore of any of the lakes, preferably Windermere, due to its shoreside hotels for lunch n ales. We want to be able to beach/slip launch the sib by hand from the campsite. I know of one campsite on Ullswater; Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club Site. Does anyone have any recommendations for any others. They can be as basic as they come! Many thanks.

Adam
Don't forget the stupid 10 knot limit on Windermere now. I sail there quite regularly, and there are hardly any motorboats there now, everything around the lake has died due to the restriction. There are hundreds of campsites around, and most have good facilities however.This is a good site with loads of info. Over the past few years I've done my DofE round the LD and despite never having been to a lake district lake ever, it's a gorgeous place
Old 23 February 2011, 17:30   #3

Town: Wakefield,W.Yorks
Boat name: Suzanne
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp ExRNLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmiffy View Post
Hi all.

Adam
You could try Low Wray camp site ! 01539463862. Mark
Old 27 February 2011, 20:07   #4

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Hi there, just a couple of points,

There is a 10 mph speed limit on all 4 lakes that you can use a sib on.

As for camping there are a few sites close to the water but in my opiniom the best is at Waterside farm at Ullswater. There is another site next door called park foot but its not as good.

Jake
Old 27 February 2011, 20:17   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Midges.
Old 28 February 2011, 17:03   #6

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Midges.
Hi Mollers, Have been going to Ullswater for a few years now and never had a problem with midges, I think they all go to Scotland for the summer.
Jake
Old 28 February 2011, 17:46   #7

Length: 4m +
I've used Park foot on Ulleswater 8 or 9 times for dinghy sailing from.

Has everything you need - a bar, restaurant, laundrette and decent showers and toilets. Also access to the water via its own beach. A 5 minute walk into Pooley Bridge where there are a couple of pubs and tea shops. one of the pubs is accessable by water down the river to their garden wall. Also more pubs at Glenridding and Watermillock which are easily accessible and not to far.

Have also stayed at Coniston Hall campsite on Coniston (funily enough!). Good site with access to the water but other facilities aren't as good. No bar, more basic showers and toilets and not really anywhere to go on the water apart from Coniston village which is just as quick to walk to as go by boat.

On Windermere have stayed at Low Wray National Trust site at the north end which has good facilities and launching and easy access to places on the lake worth going to at Bowness, Waterhead and Low Wood. Also stayed at the YMCA national centre at the south end of the lake. Again good facilities but not as many places to visit at this end of the lake and sometimes their camping field is booked out to large groups particularly at busy times of the year. Neither of these sites had a bar on site.

In terms of somewhere with places to go and visit or pull up for picnics or shop/pubs etc Windermere has far more to offer but the scenery isn't as pretty as the other lakes however sure you'll have a great time no matter where you decide on, just make sure you pack your waterproofs!
Old 15 March 2011, 15:31   #8

Length: 7m +
hill of oaks on the side of windermere is a good one
Old 21 March 2011, 20:58   #9
KTH

Town: Halifax
Boat name: ZADA
Make: Zodiac 360
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdad View Post
hill of oaks on the side of windermere is a good one
we have just come back from Hill of Oaks today, make sure you get a lakeside pitch if you want to launch.

They dont take tents though. There is a site a bit further up called Park Cliffe that take tents.