Old 07 July 2008, 14:14   #1

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
Korean SIB?

Is anybody familiar with the "Saturn" SIB's? www.boatstogo.com

I was out and about this past weekend and ran into a guy in a 4.3meter version. Seemed decent build but was pvc. Cheap prices, that's for sure.
Old 07 July 2008, 15:03   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I've seen a couple Saturns around.

Can't really say that I've ever inspected them, though. Rarely see them more than once (but that's not all that unusual; happens with a lot of boats.)

jky
Old 07 July 2008, 23:18   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
They are manufactured by Zebec, who is Korea's largest inflatable boat manufacurer. Zebec makes boats for several dozen different inflatable boat labels such as sea eagle and varoius others. Quality of the zebec products are comparable to that of the leisure grade (PVC) zodiacs and quicksilvers.
Old 14 July 2008, 18:28   #4

Town: Toronto
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
My friend has one (3,60m). No complains so far speaking of the boat by itself. But pump is out and boat bag lasted 2 trips. They offered replacement but you have to pay postage.
Saturn boats have less space in the bow comparing to others I've seen, including mine. I also find rope/rubber railing on sides useless too.
Old 17 July 2008, 16:01   #5

Boat name: Saturn SD365
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8, 4 str.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
Is anybody familiar with the "Saturn" SIB's? www.boatstogo.com

I was out and about this past weekend and ran into a guy in a 4.3meter version. Seemed decent build but was pvc. Cheap prices, that's for sure.
Hi,
I have one My friend dim. mentioned some info about it but I have something to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim. View Post
My friend has one (3,60m). No complains so far speaking of the boat by itself. But pump is out and boat bag lasted 2 trips. They offered replacement but you have to pay postage.
Saturn boats have less space in the bow comparing to others I've seen, including mine. I also find rope/rubber railing on sides useless too.
So, I bought mine from boatstogo.com 2.5 years ago for $900 + $300 shipped to Canada. It is SD365 (3.65m) with an airdeck. Yes, the cheap pump got broken when it arrived (cracked hose), but I didn't care because it was too cheap anyway. Boat bag is OK, and I am still using it, no problems. I wouldn't say it has less space because dim. compares it with his 3.85 boat and the 20cm make difference.
So, what I would say? I am definitely satisfied with it, with my 2007 9.8 Tohatsu which weights 42 kg it is a nice set for one person. The boat weights about 50 kg and I lift it alone, put on my shoulder, go 20-30-50 meters and through it to the water. I don't need launching wheels or a dolly.

What else. The Korean manufacturer rated the boat as 25 h.p. maximum. When I bought it I registered it with Transport Canada sending them 6 photos and several forms with a dimensions of the boat. After I got the sticker I noted that our Canadian authorities rated the boat up to 15hp... Ok, safety first I personally believe that weight of 25hp 4-stroke motor would give to much weight to its transom taking into consideration that I have 100 kg as well But 2-stroke 15 hp motor would fit just nicely, I mean power\weight ratio.

PVC material is OK, rigid and durable. I got a tiny air leakage near sew at the end of tube a month ago, but nothing serious. I continued fishing and lost very little air after 4 hours and got easily on plane going back to shore. Anyway I put some drops of Coghlan's AirStop on it and so far so good

The boat has a safety valve in front chamber, so it will put some air out in a hot day. Pretty useful thing, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
They are manufactured by Zebec, who is Korea's largest inflatable boat manufacurer. Zebec makes boats for several dozen different inflatable boat labels such as sea eagle and varoius others. Quality of the zebec products are comparable to that of the leisure grade (PVC) zodiacs and quicksilvers.
Hmm... My boat was manufactured by Dong Seo Ind.Co., South Korea. I am not sure if it is Zebec. The U.S. coast guard gave it number DSI with address at 1409 Kranz Techno Bld., 5442-1, Kyungki, Korea. At least I have Dong Seo Ind.Co. in my Certificate of Origin.
Here it is: http://www.alibaba.com/member/biganbed/aboutus.html
I can add some pictures of the boat if you want.
Old 17 July 2008, 16:28   #6

I remembered one thing I was warring about. The inflatable keel in my boat seems to be a bit short. I mean when it is deflated there is a gap between its end and a transom. In a result I have some kind of a step near transom when the boat is inflated. I discussed it at one board and was told that it could be a defect and I should send it back to the dealer. Sending the boat back to California was not a good idea so I decided use it as-is I wouldn't say I have some particular troubles with it so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	36397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	36398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2611.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	36399   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Gap.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	36400   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Gap 1.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	36401  

Old 19 July 2008, 04:52   #7

Same thing!

I have Zebec Seabon. Mine also had a "hook" at the transom like yours does. What I did to eliminate it was modify the block on the inside of the transom to lower the floor down at the rear so it was tight against the bottom fabric. I went a bit further with it later. Mine was so bad it would barely get up on a plane.

Let me know if you want pics or details.

Cheers,
Snow.
Old 19 July 2008, 07:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrggn View Post
I have Zebec Seabon. Mine also had a "hook" at the transom like yours does. What I did to eliminate it was modify the block on the inside of the transom to lower the floor down at the rear so it was tight against the bottom fabric. I went a bit further with it later. Mine was so bad it would barely get up on a plane.

Let me know if you want pics or details.

Cheers,
Snow.
Hello Snow,
Would be glad to see, actually. I had an idea to put something like a Styrofoam board there, like people use for kids in a pool or something else...
Here is a picture of what I have there. I am pushing the airdeck as far to transom as I can now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590 (Large).jpg
Views:	495
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	36432  
Old 20 July 2008, 01:35   #9

The strip at the bottom of the transom was where my problem was, can you make it thicker and mount it lower so it pushes the under side of the floor to the bottom of the tramsom tighter? Mine has a hard floor, but the same issue, so when it was assembled and inflated it had about a 1" step where the floor met the transom from the bottom side.

Cheers,
Snow.
Old 20 July 2008, 22:15   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrggn View Post
The strip at the bottom of the transom was where my problem was, can you make it thicker and mount it lower so it pushes the under side of the floor to the bottom of the tramsom tighter? Mine has a hard floor, but the same issue, so when it was assembled and inflated it had about a 1" step where the floor met the transom from the bottom side.

Cheers,
Snow.
If you inflate your sib properly (3.5 PSI) including inflatable floor (12 PSI) your floor will acomodate properly, anyway the inflatable floor won't be any hard close to a aluminum floor on that same transom position. So useless to enlarge the strip, won't give any extra ridgidity cause of the flexible properties of infaltable floors. That's why inflatable floor sibs must be correctly inflated (tubes & floor) to perform well.

A infllating procedure that makes a perfect floor fit is to apply soappy water in all the floor/ boat countour (360º) inflate properly, the floor will adjust/fit itself nicely in all 4 sides.

Happy Sibbing
Old 21 July 2008, 19:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
A infllating procedure that makes a perfect floor fit is to apply soappy water in all the floor/ boat countour (360º) inflate properly, the floor will adjust/fit itself nicely in all 4 sides.
You do not have to use water and soap. For PVC it is recommended to use Aerospace A-300 UV protectant. As a side effect that stuff makes PVC slippery enough even when dry. I spray keel with it from time to time to help it extend fully while inflated.
Old 21 July 2008, 20:11   #12

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim. View Post
You do not have to use water and soap. For PVC it is recommended to use Aerospace A-300 UV protectant. As a side effect that stuff makes PVC slippery enough even when dry. I spray keel with it from time to time to help it extend fully while inflated.
It's only for inflatable floor procedures, so that the floor countour slips/expands well into sib's internal 4 lower lateral sides. Aerospace A-300 is sometimes difficult to get.

Happy Sibbing
Old 21 July 2008, 21:06   #13

Ups, not A-300 ...It is A-303. http://www.boatstogo.com/fabrictest.asp