Old 18 September 2018, 04:56   #1

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Poor Pecos
Make: Inmar
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25 hp
Kicker?

Went on a recent outing and did not plan my return well. Was thinking more about tide than afternoon wind kick up. Got stuck in some nasty wind and waves headed West in Passage Canal, more than what I felt my limited experience should have been in. Learned a lot on the fly. My engine died in the middle of the mess and I quickly realized it was a fuel line that had disconnected from the tank. Easy fix. But, got me thinking what to do, and the danger I so quickly could have been in. A friend of mine suggested I carry a kicker for just such a thing. Paddles in this action would have been useless.

Does anyone do this? Are you carrying little trolling motors on SIBs my size just to keep from turning abeam in case of emergency? Seems overkill - just need to be smarter about what I get in, but, what say you?
Old 18 September 2018, 05:34   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
By "kicker" you mean a small auxiliary engine? It's basically a good idea if there's room on your transom. You don't want to be moving engines about while you're out there.
Old 18 September 2018, 05:51   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Never heard of a kicker and don't know what it is but every SIB that goes to sea should have a working anchor and consider a sea anchor (drogue) too.
Old 18 September 2018, 07:26   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Never heard of a kicker and don't know what it is but every SIB that goes to sea should have a working anchor and consider a sea anchor (drogue) too.

A kicker is just another name for an auxiliary often referred to as an aux on here. Plenty of threads on here about their merits, including on SIBs.

There is no right or wrong answer; it depends where and when you use the boat (a wet Wednesday in Winter off the west coast of Ireland is a very different prospect from a Saturday in Summer in the Solent). In some cases as Max refers to having a means to hold your position or at least nose into the waves and a reliable method of calling for help is more realistic than trying to shuffle engines around on a squishy boat it waves. If your transom is big enough to permanently fit an aux, and the extra weight so far aft doesn’t penalise you then it can make sense.
Old 18 September 2018, 07:37   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
transom width is the problem on most sibs but a good idea to carry one if possible
Old 18 September 2018, 21:56   #6

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Poor Pecos
Make: Inmar
Engine: Suzuki 25 hp
Thanks so much.
Auxiliary. OK. Got it. Kicker in these parts.

Good points all and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I do have an anchor, but only 100 ft of line. Certain it would have done little good where I got myself.

A sea anchor. That is smart advice. I don’t think I would have any room on the transom for a Aux, especially with the launch wheels pulled up.

I have the InReach Garmin sat. so I think that is smart for a real emergency. I wasn’t really worried. But, if I’d taken my eyes off for one moment it would have gotten dicey. Exhausting 2 hours at just 2-3 knots against wind and waves. Or if the Suzuki would have died, that would have been real bad. Sea anchor to keep me nose first. That’s what I need.

Thanks again - you guys are great.

JB
Old 19 September 2018, 05:36   #7

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
(a wet Wednesday in Winter off the west coast of Ireland is a very different prospect from a Saturday in Summer in the Solent).
What would you suggest for a freezing Friday in the fall in Falmouth?
Old 19 September 2018, 05:54   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
What would you suggest for a freezing Friday in the fall in Falmouth?

The pub
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote