Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2011, 00:25   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
Just tried out both of my boats - Zodiac 285 and Aerotec 420

Hey all

Thought I'd hear if someone of you had some input.

I've tried out my Zodiac 285 with a 4 hp engine. Have to say, riding alone it was pretty fun and I had to go pretty far in the front to avoid standing the boat up. Not very comfortable ride. Slatted floor i think, a bunch of sticks over the floor, and just a thin layer of fabric inbetween? Seems pretty crappy, I wouldn't want to hit a rock with that bottom and having my feet on the floor... I expect that to feel like just hitting the rock directly.

When riding two in that boat it was just plain boring. Any tips and ideas to make the ride in one of those boats as good as it gets?

The other boat I tried was the bombard aerotec 420. Great fun riding alone even with the 4 hp! Now I haven't had much experience with speed boats myself, so to me that felt like it was really high speeds, 9-12 knots. Great ride. The boat felt well stable, which I appreciate. Real dull with two in it though!

However, now I'm going to try it with a 15 hp instead. The boat has been modified to take short shaft, so that's what I've got. What can I expect in terms of speed, with two people in it and alone? Will there be much of an increase or just stay dull? Do I need to get a 30 hp to have fun?
Old 20 July 2011, 06:57   #2

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
my 420 with the yammie 30 on zipped along at around 28mph maxed out best i ever had was 33mph on my gps and that felt really quick when it was maxed out
my 380 with a 15hp goes around the 20mph and just over and that feels really quick plenty of speed for fun
you will find the 15 is pretty quick even when you load it up as well
Old 20 July 2011, 08:03   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have the 380 with a 2 stroke 15hp & it will do 18knots with me only & will still plain along with family of 5 + pick-nick & beach gear!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 16:24   #4

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
The problem with your Zodiac 285 is that it's probably got no keel.

I have the Zodiac 285s with the solid floor/air keel and it will do 14-15mph (confirmed by GPS) two up with a 6hp on it.

With one person on board it's not any faster but it does get there more quickly.
Old 22 July 2011, 20:19   #5

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
Ahh I see, newer Zodiacs has that sausage keel under them to make them go better in the sea? Perhaps there will be a sale going on then... These slats(?) doesn't seem to give much stability. Could I add to it somehow by making my own plywood floor? :o It was pretty scary going on that one compared to the aerotec.

Now I'm having a hard time getting the floor to pressure. I havent got a good pump (bravo 10) and I also have two slow leaks on the floors. But still, I'm getting really hooked with the aerotec, would love to get it up to some speed.

What engine would I need to be able to drag waterskis? 25 hp? I've got my eyes on one of those, it's a bit pricy though. Not that I'm really planning to tow waterskiers, I just feel it's a good measure of strength and speed
Old 24 July 2011, 09:27   #6

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
if your towing ,a 25hp would do the job i had a 30 on my 420 and that was comfortabley getting my 17 yr old son up on skiis ,if you can find one with remotes you can always add to it later with the steering remotes etc depends how far you want to go , if you are planning to tow the steering is a massive plus as you have to get the power down to pull the skiier out the water which is awkward with the balance of a tiller controlled boat
think you need to consider the bravo electric hp pump as a must have if your keeping an aerotec, it makes life soooooooooo easy , these boats will only perform well if the floor is rock hard so the leaks need to be fixed