Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Max re Dittisham…

As far as I can see the pontoon is free but for so many hours. Did you pay extra to be on there for a few days or just wing it.

Also is it super busy there near the pub with non-boaters/crabbing etc?

Its quite an old thread David ............ maybe I can help.

Dartmouth Harbour Authority are too busy at the other end of the river to worry about the dittisham pontoons ........ !

Busy ............. this varies, sometimes the pub is overflowing and at other times its empty, but I wouldnt call it one of our busiest pubs.

Its too far up for the potters and crabbers ............

Dittisham is a nice place to relax, but can be busy at the height of the season. ..............
Old 17 July 2018, 14:17   #22

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Officially it's six hours, unofficially they turn a blind eye to Dittisham holidaymakers or anyone I think TBH! Whole Dart area is super SIB-friendly. And now of course no harbour dues for small craft.

Was not busy when we were there a month ago. Can be busy early evening in great weather IIRC but only kids crabbing and parents chatting/drinking etc. A lovely spot indeed.
Old 17 July 2018, 14:59   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks for info guys. Just scoping out possible locations for next year's fortnight... which will be out of school hols. Now we are restricting the way we operate a little with the 9.9hp a large estuary might suit if it's rough at sea.

Wonder what the +/- HW times are for that Dittisham pontoon floating most of the way along?
Old 17 July 2018, 15:32   #24

Quote:
Wonder what the +/- HW times are for that Dittisham pontoon floating most of the way along?
IIRC its +12mins on the Dartmouth times.

Out of peak season Dittisham is not too busy ...........

Yes David, the estuary is nice and there is plenty of it for those days when its not possible to go to sea.

with what we have here on our doorstep you can uderstand why I commuted to London daily by train (4 days a week) for the last 18 years of my working life ........ they soon realised that all the carrot dangling in the world was not going to make me move ! ............ but they used to buy my 1st rail season ticket which was £22k per a year back in 2011
Old 17 July 2018, 17:43   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
How about this for the ultimate place to stay for a holiday on the Dart estuary? It’s a bit pricier than your average holiday let, but it’s the best location I’ve ever stayed in.

https://www.vipersquay.co.uk
Old 17 July 2018, 18:00   #26

Quote:
Thanks for info guys. Just scoping out possible locations for next year's fortnight... which will be out of school hols. Now we are restricting the way we operate a little with the 9.9hp a large estuary might suit if it's rough at sea.

I don't need to tell you how much I love it there David. First holiday there over 40 years ago and now I take my kids there each year

We stay in Dittisham and first morning park in the local car park by the river edge - Google Map it and you'll see it a few hundred yards up river from the FBI pontoon (which is always afloat by the way so no worries re' tide times). We inflate at the car park, carry the boat a few yards to the river and we're in.

Pretty much each day then is a lovely 30 min pootle to Dartmouth where we can leave the boat at the 'double steps' pontoon and base ourselves there for the day going in and out as we wish - Kingswere also had free SIB mooring.

Then each evening return and leave the boat at the FBI pontoon and walk up to the car. Repeat the next day but so nice to just jump on the ready boat and go. Last day we park the car in Dartmouth and spend the day there finally pulling the boat up the higher ferry slip, pack away in the park opposite and leave about 6pm for the long journey home.
Old 17 July 2018, 18:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
How about this for the ultimate place to stay for a holiday on the Dart estuary? It’s a bit pricier than your average holiday let, but it’s the best location I’ve ever stayed in.

https://www.vipersquay.co.uk

Yes, I know it well and very nice it is too .......... also there is another excellent let on the Yealm at Noss Mayo, the property is only accessible by boat !
Old 17 July 2018, 18:15   #28

Thanks for that Max... the amount of places you can leave a SIB moored or on a pontoon are so few got to book soon for next year if you want to be sure.

JK that's a special place. I was very lucky during child and teen years to have parent's friends with such places where we'd come back from France or wherever onto the mooring and row to the house. Some really happy memories from that time.
Old 18 July 2018, 09:33   #29

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I don't need to tell you how much I love it there David. First holiday there over 40 years ago and now I take my kids there each year

We stay in Dittisham and first morning park in the local car park by the river edge - Google Map it and you'll see it a few hundred yards up river from the FBI pontoon (which is always afloat by the way so no worries re' tide times). We inflate at the car park, carry the boat a few yards to the river and we're in.

Pretty much each day then is a lovely 30 min pootle to Dartmouth where we can leave the boat at the 'double steps' pontoon and base ourselves there for the day going in and out as we wish - Kingswere also had free SIB mooring.

Then each evening return and leave the boat at the FBI pontoon and walk up to the car. Repeat the next day but so nice to just jump on the ready boat and go. Last day we park the car in Dartmouth and spend the day there finally pulling the boat up the higher ferry slip, pack away in the park opposite and leave about 6pm for the long journey home.

Hi Max,

The double steps pontoon is opposite what I call the prom I presume?
Old 18 July 2018, 11:47   #30

Just to the right of the entrance to the Boat Float here, see the SIB's just below the green bus - although it's been extended since this pic:

http://www.dartharbour.org/images/up...Guide_2016.pdf
Old 18 July 2018, 11:52   #31

Pic here and below is Dittisham pontoon:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3903.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	125866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8505.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	125867  
Old 19 July 2018, 21:12   #32

Thanks for the extra pics Max... the area is on the short list.

Are the pontoon moorings with the black aft buoys for residents?
Old 19 July 2018, 21:37   #33

Yep.