Town: Port Talbot
Boat name: Fox Cub
Make: Wetline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Evinrude 4hp 2stroke
RIBase
J1S4 Waterproof VHF

Hi,

We took our 2.6m Wetline out for the first time yesterday. Launching from the beach was a bit awkward, as my wife has no idea how to use oars, and pushing the boat into deeper water only had the tide push us back in I waded out to chest height and then manages to "rescue" into the boat (which was good, as it gave practice for climbing into the boat). However, the VHF radio was submerged all this time, and of course was switched on to channel 16. Checked it, and it was dead, with water in the LCD display. After a couple of laps of the bay, I returned to shore and we came home, happy but wet. I thought I had destroyed the radio by not replacing the rubber in the charging jack (which would let water in, I am sure). But researching what J1S4 means, it appears the waterproof is relating to splash, vertical rain and such, so weatherproof perhaps, but not 10 feet below the surface (although I was not that deep!) The radio is a Cobra Marine HH125. Opening it up the morning to check the damage, it smells as though circuits or components have blown and burnt out, and the state of the board is like it had been corroding for months! It is a new radio, not second hand with a bit of dampness. So I guess I have learnt a quite expensive lesson, but feel it better to happen in chest high water rather than in a situation where assistance was needed and the radio was useless. Also my torch, which was in a drybag, got destroyed, as the drybag was a cheaper type for a camping shop....it let around a cupful of water in..... Oh well, lessons learned. Regarding launching from surf (which was gentle) I suppose I should have my wife sit on the tube by the motor, push the boat out a bit, get in and then get on the seat and row into deeper water before starting the engine? Our problem was not realising how quickly the tide brings you back in ( I suppose surfers move pretty fast!)
Old 08 August 2014, 14:08   #2

Length: 3m +
I wouldn't recommend a cobra radio as they don't have very good build quality. I'd recommend a standard horizons or Icom
Old 08 August 2014, 18:48   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Taken from Waterproof standards for VHF Radios - WTF is JIS / IPX?

The JIS Scale
The Japan Industrial Standards (JIS) for water resistance uses a "0" to "8" scale to define the level of water ingress protection built into VHF Radio. If the radio has been tested in compliance with this standard it is usually listed on the product spec sheet.
◦JIS "0" No special protection
◦JIS "1" Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 1)
◦JIS "2" Dripping water at an angle up to 15 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 2)
◦JIS "3" Falling rain at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Rain resistant)
◦JIS "4" Splashing water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Splash resistant)
◦JIS "5" Direct jetting water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Jet resistant)
◦JIS "6" Direct jetting water from any direction shall not enter the enclosure (Water tight)
◦JIS "7" Water shall not enter the enclosure when it is immersed in water under defined conditions (Immersion resistant)
◦JIS "8" The equipment is usable for continuous submersion in water under specified pressure (Submersible)

The IPX Rating

The IPX rating usually comes as IPX-7 or IPX-8.
•IPX-7 - water-proof, immersion resistant for 30 minutes under 1 meter (3 feet) of water.
•IPX-8 - water-tight under immersion for 30 minutes under 2.6 meters (8 feet) of water.

Not really surprising it didn't survive. Live and learn, I guess.

jky
Old 10 August 2014, 18:05   #4

Yeah the cheap cobra is only splash proof. If you were buying another you'd want it in a Waterford radio bag. Also doesn't float.

Be aware that event IPX7 ones are only tested for 30 mind so not in bottom of boat all day and no garuntee that it works straight out the water the test would allow it to be dried out first. Not internally though.

aldi do dry bags from time to time which have a good reputation. In my experience the heavier bags still puncture if you put screw drivers in them. Some on here would recommend a Pelicase . or put stuff in clip lock boxes and put those in dry bag.

Would suggest looking for waterproof torch or at least taping up with insulating tape to keep water out when used...
Old 10 August 2014, 19:33   #5

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
I use a cheap £ 30 VHF handheld programmed to marine bands in an £ 20 Aquapac case (with a silica gel sachet).
As above you have two options:
1) Icom or Standard Horizon for a proper waterproof set
2) Cheaper set in a decent case (not the rubbish one that comes with a Cobra or Midland)
Old 11 August 2014, 12:58   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
re surf launch you only need enough depth to get the prop clear so water to the Gentleman bits is normally enough if you stand to the side of the boat (fine to have engine on idle while raised then lower engine and jump in and go..... going chest high will get you wet, the boat wet and does no favors. in big swell then timing is key!

Old 11 August 2014, 15:42   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
fine to have engine on idle while raised then lower engine and jump in and go.....
Hope I misread this!
Old 11 August 2014, 15:51   #8

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hope I misread this!
Me too
Old 11 August 2014, 15:55   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla View Post
I wouldn't recommend a cobra radio as they don't have very good build quality. I'd recommend a standard horizons or Icom
+1 Personally I wouldn't use anything but Icom, I'm not saying that SH aren't any good, it's just that I've no experience of them. I have always used Icom & they've never let me down, either on the sea or at work. I have an M71, now superseded my the M73, cracking bit of kit & IPX8.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 20:53   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
Icon M23 float and flash have been great for us.
Old 11 August 2014, 21:14   #11

Quote:
Hope I misread this!
Why is that then?
Old 11 August 2014, 21:31   #12

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Hope I misread this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Me too
The KC and the Sunshine stasi are taking their time [emoji380][emoji380]
Old 14 August 2014, 19:25   #13

RIBase
Thanks for the advice Regarding the motor on idle however, mine is a water cooled two stroke, so would need to be underwater when started/running to allow the water to circulate?
Old 14 August 2014, 19:45   #14

RIBase
Thank you all for your advice and valued information.

I finally opted for the Standard Horizon HX290, which floats, is waterproof for up to 30mins in 1.5m of water (IPX8). It cost £102, so was within my strained budget. Solid construction, and a decent squelch adjustment, rather than the Cobra's squelch on or off configuration.

I also learned you get what you pay for with drybags; a couple of cheap ones let water in, and a couple of not cheap at all let some in, so they are now relegated to camping use, which is what I suspect they were meant for Only casualties were some sweets for emergency (I am diabetic) tissues and some paracord I carried as a matter of course.

My SIB is a 2.6m and has a 4hp Evinrude, so I suspect the person suggesting I let the motor idle whilst out of the water a while though my boat was somewhat bigger and perhaps not water-cooled. As it is a vintage OB, it takes a little while to start, but once going goes well, or at least , it did in the bucket, and around the bay when we managed to get it out there. We plan to try it out on the canal, which may be easier to launch and board/alight, and i can then try my hand at rowing if we come to reeds etc. I understand that there would be a speed limit on a canal, is it a universal 3 or 5mph? We shall only potter along to check out the views and get to practice handling the boat anyway before considering our next very fine weather inshore sea trial
Old 14 August 2014, 19:51   #15

it wont over heat in 5-10 seconds at idle on choke......... 4hp.....

Row clear of the breaking surface only need enough water under you to float then drop motor when you are in deeper none breaking water.

PRetty much all out boards are "open loop" cooled (suck water in to cool motor) but even when in water they don't draw straight away. although there may be no thermostat valve in a 4hp.

Just make sure you flush the motor after every use as soon as you can and replace the impeller regularly.
Old 14 August 2014, 21:30   #16

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Williams View Post
I understand that there would be a speed limit on a canal, is it a universal 3 or 5mph? We shall only potter along to check out the views and get to practice handling the boat anyway before considering our next very fine weather inshore sea trial
Canals 4mph and you need a licence from British Waterways.
Old 14 August 2014, 23:06   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBer View Post
Canals 4mph and you need a licence from British Waterways.
Now the Canal and Rivers Trust in England and Wales after the current Government did away with British Waterways in 2012.

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Steve
Old 31 August 2014, 18:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
Now the Canal and Rivers Trust in England and Wales after the current Government did away with British Waterways in 2012.

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Steve
Not cheap either!

Quote:
Confirm your boat and licence details
If these details are incorrect, please press the back button to correct them.

About your boat
Boat name: Avon
Boat length: 3.50m
Your proposed licence
Licence product: Canals and rivers (One month)
Start date: 01/09/2014
Cost: £74.42
1 day! £14!
Quote:
Confirm your boat and licence details
If these details are incorrect, please press the back button to correct them.

About your boat
Boat name: Avon
Boat length: 3.50m
Your proposed licence
Licence product: Canals and rivers (One day)
Start date: 01/09/2014
Cost: £13.94