Old 07 July 2014, 10:54   #1

Town: Herne Bay
Length: 3m +
Ivan Burdfield Marine

Hi

Has anyone had any dealings with Ivan Burdfield Marine, in Southampton?

I am looking to purchase a second hand SIB and outboard, he has some stuff I would like to take a closer look at.

Would appreciate any reviews, good bad or otherwise.
Old 07 July 2014, 11:54   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
He posted a few adverts here, but when one of the admin team pointed out that he should upgrade to Trade membership he replied that he wasn't running a business and it was just a hobby. Caveat emptor?
Old 07 July 2014, 12:22   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
He posted a few adverts here, but when one of the admin team pointed out that he should upgrade to Trade membership he replied that he wasn't running a business and it was just a hobby. Caveat emptor?
Quote:
"We deal in quality second hand SIBS/ RIBS and outboards - From poplular tenders(Avon Redcrest/ Redstart, 250, 260, 280 etc + small RIBS) to the larger Sports SIBS( Avon/ Zodiac/ Quicksilver/ Tohatsu etc) up to 4.3 metres. With over 30 years experience of using inflatable boats we understand the subtleties between makes and models, and will endeavor to match up a customers needs. We also supply trailers and chandlery.
hobby?

From Boats and outboards.
Old 07 July 2014, 12:41   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I've spoken to him a few times, friendly chap but yes it is more a private seller set up so treat it as such with no come backs and check whatever you're buying just as you would with Joe Public.
Old 07 July 2014, 12:49   #5

Seems like a nice enough chap, offers a 3 month warranty on the outboard

Mariner - 15hp Mariner 2 Stroke Boat Engines for sale in Hampshire, South East :: Boats and Outboards

it will be my first buying experience (if I do buy), what would you recommend I look out for on an engine, and also a SIB, I guess general condition of the engine (leaks etc) and check the valves on the SIB, beware too many patches?
Old 07 July 2014, 15:09   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I certainly wouldn't be looking at buying from a 'hobbyist' who offers 'warranties'.

That's not the behaviour of a private seller OR an honest trader.
It sounds far more like either tax avoidance or a way of charging dealer prices and still saying 'caveat emptor' if it goes wrong terminally.

It wasn't me he dealt with by the way.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2014, 15:20   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Nice chap indeed. I've sold to him once, trade to trade business to business sale. Generally his stock is in immaculate condition, with pricing to reflect that.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale
07930 421007
www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 07 July 2014, 20:23   #8

OK, mixed views.......

I think I will take a look, as you say, buyer beware,

I intend to buy second hand, seems as good a place to start as any,
Old 27 August 2014, 18:20   #9

Town: southampton
Boat name: boat
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard, petrol
Hi - just to clear things up - I am a serious business, but I am born out of a passion and a hobby(30 years+) - and yes I try to stock very nice stuff, its what fires me up - not always possible when doing a PX to help out a customers. I do offer full 3 months warranty on outboards. Thanks Peter for your kind words - look forward in doing business with you again - was a pleasure!
Old 27 August 2014, 18:27   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanclifford View Post
Hi - just to clear things up - I am a serious business, but I am born out of a passion and a hobby(30 years+) - and yes I try to stock very nice stuff, its what fires me up - not always possible when doing a PX to help out a customers. I do offer full 3 months warranty on outboards. Thanks Peter for your kind words - look forward in doing business with you again - was a pleasure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Still not serious enough for a Trade Membership though?
Old 27 August 2014, 18:46   #11

Trade membership

Hi - all this does sound very vindictive! Not nice! In actual fact when we look at the trade directory on this site it represents big business selling new products and really does not cover or represent what I do. I offer buyers a great saving on nearly new stock. I am not a hardened business man, and often give away life jackets and anchors to my customers as good will gesture. Please do not judge me until you have given me a visit - thanks.
Old 27 August 2014, 18:52   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Ivan - a trade membership upgrade on here could bring a lot of business your way.
Old 27 August 2014, 18:55   #13

Your Trade membership is not working and it is not representative of small business's like mine - looking back on what you have written in reply to these links - you and your admin team are sounding like a very vindictive and viscous bunch of people!
Old 27 August 2014, 19:18   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Hi - all this does sound very vindictive! Not nice! In actual fact when we look at the trade directory on this site it represents big business selling new products and really does not cover or represent what I do. I offer buyers a great saving on nearly new stock. I am not a hardened business man, and often give away life jackets and anchors to my customers as good will gesture. Please do not judge me until you have given me a visit - thanks.
Quote:
Your Trade membership is not working and it is not representative of small business's like mine - looking back on what you have written in reply to these links - you and your admin team are sounding like a very vindictive and viscous bunch of people!
ivanclifford. You previously have tried to deceive the Admin Team by claiming that you are not trade. I have removed MANY ads that you have placed here. Patently you see the benefits of trade membership (as do another "smaller" traders like Peter - boats&outboards4sale). However you seem to feel that you are entitled to take the advertising that you want without payment. I find this unreasonable and unacceptable.

You were right about me being vindictive though...
Old 27 August 2014, 20:56   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:

Are you confusing us with somewhere else? A Trade Membership costs £100 a year and is perfect for small businesses. The price has been held for over ten years by the way, and is seriously undervalued.

Anyway, if you decide that it's not for you that's fine. Just don't post any ads or try to use the forums to promote your company. It's really simple.

Far from being vicious or vindictive we are actually extremely accommodating and have explained to you how things work several times. Even now we're still offering you the chance to put your house in order rather than simply banning you.
Old 07 September 2014, 18:18   #16

After my 7 day ban I will now reply; I enjoy looking at your forums, and yes I have put up a couple of adverts. I find that you John have a measured and balanced approuch to this, I sense you realise I have a genuine interest in inflatable boats as well as run a business. Other admin members comments have been somewhat overly viscious - all very unwelcome and nit picky, its healthy to keep a sense of perspective on things. I do appreciate your last comments and as a concequence I have now registered as a trade member - sadly the trade directory is still out of order. Hopefully I will join in some forums and offer up some advise and help where possible.
Old 07 September 2014, 18:49   #17

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Buying a sib ..wipe over with soapy water inflated check the seams valves etc ,engines fire them up in a tank as the carbs work differently under load check for the water to be pissing out the tell tale and ensure f and r engage expect a clunk as they are dog link or something like that make sure you let it run for a while to
Old 07 September 2014, 19:13   #18

??????????????

Sorry I do not understand?
Old 05 October 2014, 12:14   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
To be continued
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote