As stated ALL DOWN TO CONDITIONS...
eminently doable,the problem is getting a long enough weather window to make it worth while...ie enough time to enjoy your stay,and not getting stuck over there waiting for conditions to get back!
There was I believe someone who nearly swam it last year!...although I don't think they made it...owing to the weather
I've seen people who have rowed across,and gone in smallish craft...I would say...At the risk of upsetting the SiB contingent..(and I enjoyed SIBing for many years) a small suitably powered RIB is much better in real Offshore "Open Water" stuff.
I'm sure it's been done,and will be again...if you decide to have a go...I'd go in company and...take a few days off!