Old 01 August 2016, 07:34   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Islay, Mull or somewhere else

Hi all

Thinking of a family holidays at the end of August or early September and was thinking either Islay or Mull. Ive never been to either so can anyone advise which would be the best for family holiday with sibbing. Thanks.
Old 01 August 2016, 08:01   #2

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
with a sib I would go Craobh Marina - Scotland's Gateway to the Isles

you have a lot of choice there and v good shelter. also wasy for other great places ie loch awe and go in at the torran bay hostel at ford which is just down the road,

Have a look on the map and you will see what I mean.

Dave
Old 01 August 2016, 08:09   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Hi all

Thinking of a family holidays at the end of August or early September and was thinking either Islay or Mull. Ive never been to either so can anyone advise which would be the best for family holiday with sibbing. Thanks.
Both Islay and Mull cab be quite exposed in a small sib in the wrong weather and there are fairly big tidal streams which make it more "interesting" too. I'm not suggesting you don't go, but unless everyone going is as hardy as you I would pick my location based on what will entertain on the other five days when they are not brave enough to venture out! As a family holiday Mull is more mountainous, with probably more organised tourism and islay is quite whisky centric, as i recall it's beaches were more impressive (but if you really want to play on beaches go to Tiree) so it depends what the family like doing. The ferry to mull is a short hop, Islay, is a bit further away...
Old 01 August 2016, 08:12   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonmarine View Post
with a sib I would go Craobh Marina - Scotland's Gateway to the Isles

you have a lot of choice there and v good shelter. also wasy for other great places ie loch awe and go in at the torran bay hostel at ford which is just down the road,

Have a look on the map and you will see what I mean.

Dave
Whilst craobh has many things going for it, as a base for a family sibbing holiday I think he can do much better. with a sib he doesn't need a marina or the prices they charge, and he is more weather dependant than bigger boats but there is little to actually do at craobh without getting in a car.
Old 01 August 2016, 09:21   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
The Sibbing Boys are definatly the Guys to ask (Bad enough in a 7m RIB sometimes ) and Polly makes good points.
Really does depend on the weather at the time.If it were me Id drop The Gurnard a PM
We're up at the same time but a bit further North.Hope you have a good trip and weather!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2016, 12:42   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Edit: Hadn't realised this was so long until posted... no matter might be something for you or others in the waffle...

Steve this is a very personal choice re solitude vs facilities and boating excitement vs a few decent family friendly days out.

I forget what is the makeup of your family for sibbing? What else do they like to do?

We've been taking a cottage in Scotland around many areas except the very far north for some 35yrs+ now.... and it's been boating based for most of the past decade... SIB and or 4m trailed hard boat. So we've pretty well refined what suits us...

We want the cottage to be just yards from a slipway or easy beach launch... no more than a 2min trundle on transom wheels. Minimal tidal range helps but in any case if slipway it needs to be all states of the tide or if beach no long transits across sand/mud/stones.

A sandy beach if not adj must be within reasonable reach by boat and the boating area should allow a reasonable choice of trips without having to operate in areas of strong currents/overfalls etc.

The launch site must be sheltered and useable even in less than ideal weather.. nothing worse in a SIB than a difficult transit home then in the last yards being faced with breaking waves on a beach/slipway.

Cottage location is often a balance of privacy (if you value that) and amenities. We are wary of one so remote where it's a 40min round trip for a pint of milk so ideally like to have a village shop within easy walking and a weekly shop sized place no more than 20mins away.

Fuel location is essential as we find it impossible to carry a week's worth... also an eatery you can quickly walk to is a huge benefit.

So much easier now with Google maps and online info... in the old days the cottage brochure came by post and I had to go in the library at lunch times to try and make sense of the area from Ordnance Survey maps and work from the Le Routiers book for decent eateries.

Anyway it might not suit you and doesn't tick all my above boxes but here's just one I'll chuck at you...

Ellary Estate cottages situated on Loch Caolisport in Knapdale. Six cottages of differing sizes/prices set on a fairly remote private estate on a no through road. All having access to a very sheltered small sandy bay ideal for operating smallcraft. There is also their tiny private harbour if you want to stay afloat.

We stayed there several times and found it a great base for boating. Over several weeks we only had one day the loch was too rough to launch and you have a great "no road access" secluded beach towards the head of the loch to visit/picnic if you want to avoid nosing out into the sound of Jura.

On any reasonable day you can swing round into the adj Loch Sween which gives you the fantastic Kilmory Bay beach... the beach and café eatery at the castle then Tayvallich at the very top with pontoon, small shop, café eatery, pub etc.

You could fill a week with family outings to the above places without any great risk of scaring them.

The downside is that the nearest shop of any size by road is at Ardrishaig which is 11mls down a mostly single track road.... or even more variety at Lochgilphead some 2mls further on. But we managed shopping on arrival Sat and lasted until Wed before leaving the place for our only food/fuel outing and didn't shop again until we left. No nearby eateries at all though.

Ellary Holiday Cottages

Three pics... Our hard boat and Zodiac at the cottage's launch bay. Long view of secluded beach at head of Caolisport and our hard boat on that beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellary beach boats.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	114776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caolisport secluded beach.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	114777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caolisport secluded beach Nimrod.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	114778  
Old 01 August 2016, 20:21   #7

Thanks for the replies gents.

I know it's difficult to recommend anywhere without knowing persons wants or needs which is why I was quite general asking about islands rather than a specific area, but many thanks for the info on the cottages at Ellary David, I will check them out for the future.

Sibbing is much more my thing with the family coming out for the odd safe adventure. We are all outdoor types and prefer solitude to facilities and as this holiday is a bit of a fast ball for us with no solid plans or bookings it's looking like we may well be a camping.
After speaking over dinner tonight it's looking like end of August and our plan now is to wait until near the time and see what the weather is doing and then make the decision. Would prefer one of the Scottish islands but not ruling out Devon / Cornwall.
I think I need to re read some of the Gurnards old posts.
Old 02 August 2016, 09:33   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ah fair enough re camping as I guess you can pick up site space short notice but would have to commit to a cottage even if wather/plans change.

Our sibbing is unusual (I think) in that Mrs Fenlander is equally keen to go on every outing... as is teen daughter if with us that day. So every trip is a family one hence gruelling boys own adventure stuff is a non starter.
Old 03 August 2016, 17:00   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Stevem.. just my thoughts.

Mull is first class and the campsite at Fidden is excellent. You can see what the area offers in this post..and its highly recommended SIB country. Mull..like Skye can offer good SIB sport in even strongish winds as you can always go to the sheltered side of the island. Very scenic all over the island..and the ferry is not so expensive now..around £30 return for a car and adult.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/the-gup...ull-72041.html

Islay ... is a love hate relationship for me..I worked there as a younger man.. and took a liking..not only to the whisky..but a local wummin. I took a long time drying out from that mad mixture when I left the island. I have not SIbbed there.. but it not a place I would recommend due to strong tides. Many of the lovely beaches are unsuitable for swimming due to the strong inshore currents. I do believe the coast by small boat is very scenic though.

The beauty of camping and Scotland is that you don’t need to decide and book before hand.. especially at the end of August. So best wait to see where the weather is most suitable.

Example..I planned on going to the far north this week..then changed plan a day before and headed back to Skye as they had a better weather window, I had three great days around the south west coast of Skye..in almost flat calm conditions..and beautiful sunshine for most the time. Thurso was windier and cloud covered according to forecast.

I launched off Ord beach (there is a slipway there too..but not many folks know that) and covered the coast from sky line to skyline..and what a beautiful skyline it is. That covers Armadale to Elgol section in my quest to circumnavigate Skye by wee F Rib

I am home again as the next few days are heavy rain..but I will go back when it clears up again

Anywhere on the west coast is very scenic.. hey and I was surprised as the midges are not so bad this year..they are around ..but didn’t drive me nuts

Enjoy your hol..wherever you chose to go.
Old 03 August 2016, 17:54   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Applecross is very nice, campsite behind the pub great food slipway about 3 miles south or off the beach just north of the pub fuel pump self service in the village we had two weeks there couple of years ago in holy's cottage fantastic and the views from the highest mountain road in Britton are amazing.
Old 03 August 2016, 21:12   #11

Cheers Jeff, I know Applecross fairly well been up there a few times fishing the hill lochs and stayed at that campsite in a camper we used to have. Never been with a sib though.

Hi Gurnard, i was hoping Mull would offer some sheltered Sibbing should the weather turn and thanks for confirming.
It was probably your excellent post Guppy rounds the Ross of Mull that got me on to it and I did notice the ferry was fairly cheap also which is always a bonus.
We don't mind a bit of light rain or wind but will definitely wait until last minute and keep an eye on the weather. Really want it to be north west Scotland but the weather will probably make our minds up.
Good luck circumnavigating Skye!
Old 04 August 2016, 18:06   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Stevem

I know it's luck of the draw with weather but I like to base myself in the Oban area mostly because you have the big town for the every day stuff but if it blows up you can hitch up and find a sheltered loch somewhere.loch feochan launch from ardoran marina charged me £30 for the week very sheltered and come out at the bottom of the sound of kerra loads to see and a nice trip under the Atlantic bridge a must in my book. But as you say pick out gurnard's threads a sib & RIB guide to the Isles I think great reading.
Glad you have been to applecross fantastic in the SIB hope you get sorted.

Cheers
Old 04 August 2016, 18:58   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Stevem

I know it's luck of the draw with weather but I like to base myself in the Oban area mostly because you have the big town for the every day stuff but if it blows up you can hitch up and find a sheltered loch somewhere.loch feochan launch from ardoran marina charged me £30 for the week very sheltered and come out at the bottom of the sound of kerra loads to see and a nice trip under the Atlantic bridge a must in my book. But as you say pick out gurnard's threads a sib & RIB guide to the Isles I think great reading.
Glad you have been to applecross fantastic in the SIB hope you get sorted.

Cheers
Good Choice to moor the Boat...we stayed there just above the Loch a few years back.Easy reach of Oban and Easdale ect.
With loads of choice further afield if the weather is good
Hope the Sun shines for you!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2016, 20:32   #14

Thanks for the info, I'll bear it all in mind. That's one plus to camping we can leave it until last minute. Cheers