Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I think most of these questions were probably answered in the similar topic you

New boat - few questions

posted last week, as noted then and SS Gurnard shows above - one up you need a tiller extension, weight up front and to stop the splashing a shim under the engine and maybe a deflector. Not ideal but like all boats the BAT is a compromise with advantages and disadvantages.

A 36 kg air floor 12ft rubber boat with one person at the back and 25 horses out back will be pretty lively but again check the advice and videos in the previous topic!
Yeah I know, my two questions, one about the baffles, this has been answered, second will an engine shim effect the feel or just the splash?

Know I need to add weight, experiment.

Old 15 May 2016, 15:57   #12

Town: Maidstone
[QUOTE=Poly;716003]Sean,

How much experience do you have?

I've used an ally floor zodiac for 3 seasons, that's it. Loved it so much but baffles were blown when I bought it so needed a replacement.

Old 15 May 2016, 16:00   #13

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
No it's very unlikely the transom shims will change the way it feels. One up with just a 15hp mine was over lively... one up with my new Suzuki 20 it's straight up in the air if you snap the throttle open.

Make up a few shims from 10mm to 40mm and experiment re the splash. It's a very random thing and outboard specific.

BTW others may not have found exactly the same but I've found the transom splash far worse one up or with light loads.
Old 15 May 2016, 16:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Sean,

As has been mentioned before one up with no gear and a 25hp you will never get the best from an Aerotec.

You can fit a tiller extension and sit amidships but that could feel a little disconnected.

I really didn't get on with the tiller extension previously, maybe I'll have to persevere.

You could fit remotes and steering then it would be perfect.

Have a set of remotes but it's more to set up when going for a quick run after work.

Remember the recommended engine power by Bombard for an Aerotec is a 15hp... 25HP is an absolute maximum.

Get someone to go out with you or buy 3x 25kg bags of builders sand for the bow to give it a fair trial.
Have organised people to come out next Saturday, old zodiac was much better two up.

My question was whether the engine shim would effect handling. Forgot to bring some wood to experiment with but if whether is nice will be out with people and shims ;-)
Old 15 May 2016, 16:08   #15

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
BTW as the shims get to around 30mm+ you have to watch that the outboard clamps are still properly on the boat as they start to rise off the inner plate.
Old 15 May 2016, 16:14   #16

Quote:
No it's very unlikely the transom shims will change the way it feels. One up with just a 15hp mine was over lively... one up with my new Suzuki 20 it's straight up in the air if you snap the throttle open.

Make up a few shims from 10mm to 40mm and experiment re the splash. It's a very random thing and outboard specific.

BTW others may not have found exactly the same but I've found the transom splash far worse one up or with light loads.
Yeah I've been doing loads of wheelies and donuts lol

It's not that, it's hard to describe, it's a bit like torque steer on a car, it kinda pushes and pulls around oddly. Hence thought it could be part to the engine splash issue.

Thanks for the response.

I think adding some weight might be best. I should end up with a spare bow bag (zodiac said they'll send a replacement but I can keep the old) maybe I'll look to modify the broken one in a way to load it up with weight. It seems to rest on the floor rather than hang so guess I won't over load d rings, will really check this though.
Old 15 May 2016, 16:15   #17

Quote:
BTW as the shims get to around 30mm+ you have to watch that the outboard clamps are still properly on the boat as they start to rise off the inner plate.
Thanks will do
Old 15 May 2016, 17:26   #18

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
Yeah I've been doing loads of wheelies and donuts lol

It's not that, it's hard to describe, it's a bit like torque steer on a car, it kinda pushes and pulls around oddly.
...thats exactly what our aerotec does if its not quite up to pressure. We have found that as soon as the boat hits the cool water it knocks enough off the pressure to do exactly that. so pump the sponsons to 3.8 and the floor to 12 and you'll be fine. make sure the air floor is tucked rignt down tight into the v between the sponsons and the floor. make sure the floor is positioned correctly fore and aft. And remember that the airfloor is a compromise. you run an airfloor because it will pack into the boot of a hatchback. i can roll ours up and boost it onto the roofrack single handed. the aerotec has the best airfloor though for sure.

Simon
Old 15 May 2016, 17:30   #19

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
...thats exactly what our aerotec does if its not quite up to pressure. We have found that as soon as the boat hits the cool water it knocks enough off the pressure to do exactly that. so pump the sponsons to 3.8 and the floor to 12 and you'll be fine. make sure the air floor is tucked rignt down tight into the v between the sponsons and the floor. make sure the floor is positioned correctly fore and aft. And remember that the airfloor is a compromise. you run an airfloor because it will pack into the boot of a hatchback. i can roll ours up and boost it onto the roofrack single handed. the aerotec has the best airfloor though for sure.

Simon
also, and it seems counter intuitive if you are single handed, try kicking the outboard out to trim setting 2. nose higher before going on tje plane but more stable on the plane i find.
Old 15 May 2016, 18:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
also, and it seems counter intuitive if you are single handed, try kicking the outboard out to trim setting 2. nose higher before going on tje plane but more stable on the plane i find.
I was on the second gone, tried the third. According to the gauges I'm getting to 12psi on floor and 4 on the tubes. Though don't trust the gauges. I've been using the foot pump (still waiting on seamark nunn to sort the defective pump I bought) and could still pump some more. Maybe that's my issue, low pressure.