Old 21 September 2019, 08:40   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Is every one out on theyre boats hence no new stories

No new stories to read of any ones adventures,

So i will add my own update, albeit this may be in the wrong section, admin can you move it if so. Thanks.

Over the past good week of weather, Ive managed to get out everyday , but just on the Forth, Got engine back beginning of week all checked out full service and a seal done, so clean bill of health on that side.

So far have managed to do inchmickery, Inchcolm, up to the queensferry crossing and back to granton.

But yesterday thought i'd push the boundaries a little, so left Granton harbour, out to Inchmickery, lots of seals sunbathing.

Then decided ok i'll do Inchcolm again, but didn't land just leisurely around the island. Posh sail boat moored up, and a little speed boat docked they're.

Thought i'd then head back to Cramond island, as i was going past, tide in but not all the way, seen 3 people waving from island i just waved back and kept heading for shore, stopped on the water for a drink of juice.
Before heading off again, noticed those 3 people waving again, so headed over to check on them.
Yup you guessed it they had been caught out by the tide, next low tide was at 1 am. it was just about 5 pm. lol.

So i saved them took them back to shore and as you can imagine 4 up with the Yam 6 was slow. But good deed done for today.

The sun was still blasting, So not to go on to much from they're i ended up in Musselburgh harbour.

After that continued back to Cramond just for the hell of it. before finally going back to Granton harbour and heading home.

All in all a good day with great weather, and by my calculations 31Nm covered, half a tank of fuel used, engine ran like a dream, and I had a smile on my face, maybe even a wee bit of a tan.
I seen 16 mph top speed, If my phone was telling the truth.

Am i pushing the boundaries? I dunno! It was all mostly a coastal trek. but anyway I had a great time.
Old 21 September 2019, 08:46   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Smile on the face means it’s all worth it [emoji1303]
Big grey ship at anchor off Rosyth at the moment, but not for long, so maybe worth a run upriver if you’re out today [emoji41]
Old 21 September 2019, 08:51   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
Smile on the face means it’s all worth it [emoji1303]
Big grey ship at anchor off Rosyth at the moment, but not for long, so maybe worth a run upriver if you’re out today [emoji41]

But make sure you know the exclusion zone or you might end up with some tense discussions with MoD Plod...
Old 21 September 2019, 08:56   #4

When i was up at the Queensferry crossing beginning of week the friendly police pilot boat came close by to check me out gave me a wave before bombing away, which was fair enough, the only thing i didn't appreciate was his wake, lol , but fun none the less.
Sure he done it on purpose.
Old 21 September 2019, 10:57   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Good to hear you're getting out and also have fairly quickly worked through a list of things that needed sorting.

Never underestimate just how lucky you are to be within easy reach of the sea. For us the nearest coast is a 4hr round trip and that really limits opportunities. Don't begrudge it but it's a big factor in time spent on the water.
Old 21 September 2019, 11:18   #6

On the water and things fixed due to your guidance Fenlander, if you ever find your way up this neck of the woods, give me a shout. I think I might be owe you a beer or 10.
But yeah I can get the binoculars out and view the water conditions from my window, I'm no more than 500 metres from the launch point at Granton.
But I'm guessing and reading the weather will soon change so dry suit now on the shopping list.
I've got a VHF radio borrowed. But no licence another to do thing for me .
Along with bigger boat , bigger engine. And a whole host of other ideas that I've not informed the wife of yet. Lol.
Old 21 September 2019, 12:26   #7

Didn't get many pics but here's a few
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	130921   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	130922   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	130923   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	130924   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	130925  

Old 21 September 2019, 17:03   #8

Town: Crail
Boat name: Onward
Make: Honwave T32-IE
Engine: Mercury 2 st 15 hp
MMSI: 235913495
You're a braver man than I am, Scomich! I'm a self-confessed fair weather boater, it's been a bit too windy for me out on the Forth the last few weeks. I keep looking out at those white horses on the sea here in the East Neuk and thinking 'blow that!'.

Well done for carrying out the rescue from Cramond Island. Despite all the signs warning people to check the tides before venturing out on the causeway, Queensferry lifeboat is forever getting called out there to rescue idiots who get stick. I'd often though of setting up a water taxi service at £10 a head!

I'm sure you'll find the VHF marine radio Short Range Certificate course useful and enjoyable when you do it. You can of course legally use your radio meanwhile in an emergency but I certainly gained much from doing the course and feel much more confident that I would cope with a situation should it ever arise.

Hopefully we'll meet up out on the watter one day!
Old 21 September 2019, 18:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Good to hear you're getting out and also have fairly quickly worked through a list of things that needed sorting.

Never underestimate just how lucky you are to be within easy reach of the sea. For us the nearest coast is a 4hr round trip and that really limits opportunities. Don't begrudge it but it's a big factor in time spent on the water.
I thought you were never more than 50 miles from the sea in the UK!
Old 21 September 2019, 18:50   #10

Yep 50.5 miles to the nearest godforsaken location where we could stand up to our knees in mud and say we're at the sea!

70mls to the nearest place to launch which also holds no interest. So 90mls each way for us to the nearest place where it's worthwhile launching.
Old 22 September 2019, 07:06   #11

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
237miles each way for me most weeks
Old 22 September 2019, 07:26   #12

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
237miles each way for me most weeks

Oddly familiar to my weekend commute!

Mine is London / Cornwall
Old 14 October 2019, 18:20   #13

Well I'll just add to this rather than start new thread flat calm water in the forth today , thought I'd first head for the bridges , no problems they're , then up to blackness castle. Still nice so kept going ended up at the Kelpies short jaunt up the river Carron. Coming back to Granton was a little more interesting , bit choppy. But still a dry jaunt. Until I fell on my ass at the slip putting boat away. Lol.
46.2 Nm covered and still over third of tank left. Chuffed with myself. Lol. Apart from the fall at the end.
The wee 6hp Yamaha never even hiccuped. Top speed 16.1 mph. But average was about 10mph.
Old 15 October 2019, 06:07   #14

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
As of the title, just dont think to many bother posting. Personaly I'm out on the water most days doing things many might consider an adventure but lack of responses after posting makes some reluctant to go to the effort. So you prompted me to post one from a trip a few days ago on the Barrier reef.

You seem to have managed amazing fuel range on your trip, do you use your boat all year ?
Old 15 October 2019, 06:10   #15

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Oops having looked back at your original post I now realise you did 31nm not 311nm that I originally thought!!!!....disregard my fuel comment.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:16   #16

Barrier reef? Now that's gotta be some nice boating, unlike the mostly murky water in the forth, but the further out you go it clears up a bit.
Yeah I think my fuel tank, would possibly see 60 miles , bit that's probably.taking it lower than my comfort zone. I read on here to be safe a third out, a third back and a third reserve just in case , so I stick to that rule. But on the forth if I did get caught out. Land is not far away, so could probably source fuel if push came to shove.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:16   #17

Good to hear you're still getting out and enjoying it Scomich. We've been on the water less this year than any in over a decade due to several family responsibilities aligning. Bit frustrating but hey life's like that sometimes.

>>>a dry jaunt. Until I fell on my ass at the slip putting boat away.

I did that earlier this year standing almost waist deep... I was very pleased I don't wear an auto-inflate lifejacket or that would have added to the comedy for onlookers.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:36   #18

Hi Fenlander,
Yeah i had some spectators, granted they did come down to check i was ok before laughing.
And I must agree, it must have been a sight.

I'm just taking every opportunity I can to get out, but again in admission the body is a bit sore today with the chop on way back. Think i now need to explore different waters, according to the rya app I use i've covered 231nm just on the Forth.